Upgrading from Q1 to Q2? {merged}

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I am somewhat still on the fence with whether or not to upgrade to the Leica Q2. I have a Leica Q1 that I bought early last year with 5 year accidental warranty (since im afraid of water and dust issues). Since my Q1 dropped value on the used market quite alot.

My fears of getting dust and water damage with the Leica Q often prevents me from taking it out to hikes and natural parks, so then I usually end up grabbing another camera instead

I'm considering if I should just stick with it for 4 more years (accidental warranty coverage), or upgrade to the Leica Q2, mainly for weather sealing(#1 REASON) and 47mp (which I will probably use 35mm@30mp more since sometimes i like the extra reach). I like how 28mm is 47mp which is good for when I want landscape-like images, and 35mm@30mp for when I want to do casual day to day shots.

For anyone who is deciding whether or not to upgrade their leica Q to leica Q2, how and what did you decide?

If you are not using the Leica Q out of fear dust etc despite you owning that extended warranty (as you yourself have said,) then that by itself is the reason for you to get the new camera.  Hopefully it will put you more at east and let you go out and enjoy your camera.

There are several improvements in the new camera, two of which (weather sealing and cropping) you know you can use.  And then you have the better EVF, better sensor performance (most likely), better battery life, and a few others.  The only category in which it has regressed is the weight, which was needed with the improved battery life.

I feel like one of the things that is holding you back from getting the Q2, even though you like the new camera, is that you feel like you have invested all that $$ on the Q and it has taken a hit.  Unfortunately that is the price you way with gadgets.  There is always a newer and better and the older loses its value.

Bottom line is your happiness.  If you are not happy with the Q, and always thinking about the Q2, then my suggestion would be to simply bite the bullet and get the Q2.  You will be sad for one day but happy the rest.  OTOH, with the Q, you will always be thinking about Q2, and always wonder if it would have been better with Q2.

HOWEVER, if you dont think you will use the Q2 more than the Q that you currently own, then might as well keep the Q and let it "collect dust".  

Personally, I am upgrading because:

1) Better sensor (ISO and DR)

2) Better EVF

3) Weather sealing

4) Cropping

To me, just these improvements by themselves are worth the extra $$.

What are they worth to you?

Edited by xaradaisy

If you are not using the Q, you are unlikely to use the Q2. Q2 is not weatherproof. 35mm crops from the Q are actually quite good.

I have gaffer tape over all holes and ports on my Q. It has been exposed to light drizzle for hours, no damage. I would not take any camera out in pouring rain. Your main issue with rain will not be weather sealing, but the water drops on front of the lens that will spoil the image.

Get a plastic cover for your Q and use it if occasional rain is a concern. Pack plenty of small microfiber wipes to dry front of lens in rain. 

With all that said, I am upgrading to the Q2 for higher MP at 50mm crop, so basically dual 28/50mm usage. That plus Sony A7RII with Batis 85 or 135 will be my ideal travel kit.

Edited by ravinj
  • Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Upgrading from Q1 to Q2? {merged}
2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I think the Q2 is only IP 52, which is nice for dust, but less effective than an umbrella against water.

Hold that thought (😁), because Leica just might release a mini umbrella with a hot shoe mount for the Q2, ideally with an integrated thumb rest. This will bump up the rating to IP 53 (water spray < 60 degrees from vertical). 20 minute shower, no problem, the Q2 will turn on right away. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Your issues

10 hours ago, nariza7 said:

My fears of getting dust and water damage with the Leica Q often prevents me from taking it out to hikes and natural parks, so then I usually end up grabbing another camera instead

For anyone who is deciding whether or not to upgrade their leica Q to leica Q2, how and what did you decide?

Your dust and water issue was solved when you got your other camera to take care of them problems. The current Q is an amazing camera (if you use it as much as possible), as soon as the Q2 came out some how is like is a now write off to some 🤣 , even the Q images thread is not pinned anymore (hope they get merge soon) 😀 .  The so called "improvements" sound okay, but they wasn't a big issue before so why would all of a sudden be one now?. If anything i'll hold on for the Q3 that will solved all the issues of the Q2 😂, or move on to another type of camera. Image taken with the Q2 i mean 🔴Q1😀 

Untitled by dimanatti, on Flickr

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Hazesus said:

Your issues

Your dust and water issue was solved when you got your other camera to take care of them problems. The current Q is an amazing camera (if you use it as much as possible), as soon as the Q2 came out some how is like is a now write off to some 🤣 , even the Q images thread is not pinned anymore (hope they get merge soon) 😀 .  The so called "improvements" sound okay, but they wasn't a big issue before so why would all of a sudden be one now?. If anything i'll hold on for the Q3 that will solved all the issues of the Q2 😂, or move on to another type of camera. Image taken with the Q2 i mean 🔴Q1😀 

Untitled by dimanatti, on Flickr

Nice guard dog!!! 

I agree with other reply, if you aren’t using your Q, you aren’t going to use the Q2. Unless you live where there is a monsoon daily, no reason not to use it. If you did manage to get some dust, is no big deal.  Easy to remove spots in post processing.  I get dust all the time with interchangeable lens cameras. No big deal.  And you can have it cleaned if is a problem.

As for me, sticking with original Q unless win the lottery or something.  Will wait for next M.  But I do think the Q2 is fantastic and would buy if didn’t already have a Q.

• Like 2

I'm happy with the Q, and am spending my energy on understanding the equally, but differently, remarkable CL (though I also have eyes on the SL2 announcement!). For now, at least, I think I understand the Q as much as I'm capable of or at least want. So buying the Q2 would give me more/better, but not different. That's plenty of reason both to buy and to hold off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Belle123 said:

I agree with other reply, if you aren’t using your Q, you aren’t going to use the Q2. Unless you live where there is a monsoon daily, no reason not to use it. If you did manage to get some dust, is no big deal.  Easy to remove spots in post processing.  I get dust all the time with interchangeable lens cameras. No big deal.  And you can have it cleaned if is a problem.

As for me, sticking with original Q unless win the lottery or something.  Will wait for next M.  But I do think the Q2 is fantastic and would buy if didn’t already have a Q.

I am getting one, cannot wait. But I don't have the Q so it's an easy decision (I have also just sold two M bodies, so that helps)

I recently bought a QP and have been eyeing these threads with interest. Plus @dancook is a good mate of mine so I will get to have a play with his Q2 tomorrow night at the pub (and I am somewhat jealous).

I’ve also got a CL and a T. I have a 23mm f/2 which I bought for the CL which is now redundant as the QP fulfils that role (and more) so I may sell that lens. That will leave me with 18-56 and 55-135 lenses for the CL and T which works nicely, and the QP as my one-camera-one-lens tool. I did a quick comparison of the QP versus the CL+23 and it was VERY close though!

As a committed GAS-o-phile, I do like the latest new thing. However, in this case I don’t need more pixels or weather sealing. What I do need to do is go out and take more pictures, train my eye to see things more readily, work on my composition etc. Having had an M9, M240 and M10 I am delighted with the handling of the QP, and it looks excellent, and I’m very happy with the files. So I’m going to work to learn the QP, and work at taking more photographs. And try to stop reading bloody forums 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tobers said:

However, in this case I don’t need more pixels or weather sealing.

Me too.   I realize some do, but I don't.   Weather has never stopped me from using my Q.  Perhaps I'm not hard core... weather has stopped me from taking pictures, period.  Not because of the camera but because of me!

Perhaps I'll change my mind in the future.   For now I'm quite happy with the Q and my M 262 and do not feel the need for a new camera.

• Like 2

Q2 is very close to a perfect no brainer upgrade, but it removes these from the Q :

• no more video button. Why ? it so useful. If you do not need it, just deactivate it. 
  • no more touch and release AF. Why ? it is very practical in some situations. 
  • no more cheap and easy to find batteries.
  • no more easily accessible right dial. Q2 moves it a little bit more far right. Just to make room for new official Q2 thumb rest. This annoyed me, I have to shift my thumb to reach its new awkward position. By the way, with the new thumb rest, this dial is no more accessible at all. You have to really raise and shift your thumb far away to pass the thumb rest. Very weird. 
  • Q2 lens barrel is somewhat uglier, with larger macro ring and fatter aperture ring. They will be more accessible tough.

Things that may or may not bother you :

• still no video manual controls and no headphone and mic jacks.
  • still no internal flash. Leaf shutter cameras shouts for pop-up flash. Therefore no fast and easy fill-in. 
  • still no joystick for AF. Touch screen is nice, but not practical with gloves and requires left hand to operate.
  • still small and low res rear screen. Never heard of huge, high res and DCI compliant iPhone screens ? 
  • still no in camera USB charging
  • still no lossless DNG compression. 90MB files are too huge for my hard drives. Q files are already too large at 45MB each
  • still no magnification for 50 and 75mm crop. Their frame lines are too small, with respectively only 31% and 14% EVF/Screen real estate coverage. 

And the most important point : still no QL with interchangeable L mount lens

Edited by nicci78

I am not a photographer. I am not interested in specifications.

Now there is a Q2, and suddenly the photos from a Q or a M3 or a Nikon D5 are not good anymore. Perhaps technically, but emotionally ?

The Q is my camera because I can have it with me always without a heavy bag with lenses and what have you. I rather have a bad picture of a funny moment with a grand child, than a meaningless (for me) technically perfect picture of a 100MP camera....

But: a don't have to earn money with my camera, and I don't have competition....

What irritates me in the Q is the on/off switch and the movie button (I have a spare battery with me).

• Like 2

You are right, old ON/OFF switch is annoying. But video button is really nice, I do not understand, why it is a problem. 

The new way to toggle between different screen to reach video with central D-pad button or by swiping the screen, is way worst. I miss video, when I want to shoot one and I shoot video instead of a photo. Just because I forgot to toggle back to photo mode ! Stupid.

Right now, I seldom make videos with my CL. It has to be very deliberate. But I frequently use my Q to make quick video, anytime I want and need. Because it is so easy and fast to do it. Thanks to video button.

One more thing, with Q I can shoot video and take a snapshot at the same time. Impossible with the CL or Q2

Please bring back video button to Q3 and CL2.

Edited by nicci78

vor 19 Minuten schrieb nicci78:

Q2 is very close to a perfect no brainer upgrade, but it removes these from the Q :

• no more video button. Why ? it so useful. If you do not need it, just deactivate it. 
  • no more touch and release AF. Why ? it is very practical in some situations. 
  • no more cheap and easy to find batteries.
  • no more easily accessible right dial. Q2 moves it a little bit more far right. Just to make room for new official Q2 thumb rest. This annoyed me, I have to shift my thumb to reach its new awkward position. By the way, with the new thumb rest, this dial is no more accessible at all. You have to really raise and shift your thumb far away to pass the thumb rest. Very weird. 
  • Q2 lens barrel is somewhat uglier, with larger macro ring and fatter aperture ring. They will be more accessible tough.

Things that may or may not bother you :

• still no video manual controls and no headphone and mic jacks.
  • still no internal flash. Leaf shutter cameras shouts for pop-up flash. Therefore no fast and easy fill-in. 
  • still no joystick for AF. Touch screen is nice, but not practical with gloves and requires left hand to operate.
  • still small and low res rear screen. Never heard of huge, high res and DCI compliant iPhone screens ? 
  • still no in camera USB charging
  • still no lossless DNG compression. 90MB files are too huge for my hard drives. Q files are already too large at 45MB each
  • still no magnification for 50 and 75mm crop. Their frame lines are too small, with respectively only 31% and 14% EVF/Screen real estate coverage. 

And the most important point : still no QL with interchangeable L mount lens

You didn't find more arguments to give yourself an excuse not to buy the camera?

• Haha 1