SUMMICRON-R 1:2/50 mm Leica R

Robert L

Am 9.3.2019 um 23:16 schrieb Robert L:

Hello,

Can i use my Summicron R 50mm from my R3 also on the Sony @6500?

CAUTION! I forgot something, sorry.

To use the Summicron R 50mm with the Metabones booster it is necessary to shave off the cam of the backside of the lens.

If one puts the lens with the backside on the table, the cam protects the glass of the lens.

With the cam shaved off, the camera sided glass is not protected any more!

• Thanks 1

Not sure I'd be keen on "bastardizing" a nice 50 Summicron, just to use it on the Sony to be honest.

If the 50mm works on the R3, it would suggest 3 cam or third cam, and unless I am mistaken, either should fit to most generic adaptors. Not 100% sure about the Metabones though.

Gary

Sony and Leica cameras are industrial products, just like vacuum cleaners. The brand is important for the marketing departments, the resulting  pictures are important for the users!

One can look at the properties with a halve eye (a dutch term).

The R3 is for full frame film , the a6500 has a "half full frame" sensor. Leica APSs are without AA filter, as the Ricoh GXR M-mount. The a6500 has this filter.

Severe negative aspects of the AA filter are given if one uses wide angle rangefinder lenses. No problem with R lenses.

But one aspect stays, the filter can take somewhat of the crispness of the picture.

A view at APS: my LTM 12mm f/5,6 shines on my a6500 as a 18*mm f/5,6. 

Tried a booster just once (when I had a Sony APS-C) and hated what it did to the photos. Returned it. Used the Novoflex adapter with that camera and with the A7 as well: no mods to any lenses, they all worked as well as they could on a Sony body and sensor. Which is to say: good but not great. 

The same lenses work great with the M-P and SL, and now with the CL, using the Leica R Adapter M and R Adapter M/M Adapter L stacked as required. Leica lenses always work best on a Leica body IMO, as they ought to since Leica tests and tunes their sensors and provides lens profiles for their lenses to keep the rendering qualities as intended.

• 2 years later...