m8 sticky shutter, wait or repair?

andrea-i

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, my M8 seem to have a sticky shutter, the problem comes and goes, and it seems to be triggered when I shoot at high speeds, like 1/2000, here's a video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/99j7r6nrj9ixbqr/Video 09-03-2019%2C 17 11 57.mov?dl=0

In every instance the camera manages to take the picture and in every instance the shutter manages eventually to recock, although some times it can take up to a few seconds to do that, hence the question:
Should I wait for it to fail or should I send it straight away?

Edit: forgot to mention, 15k fatal actuations mark, as reported by many others.

Edited by andrea-i

9 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe the battery ?

Which battery you use on this M8 ?

Look for the date on the battery.

Original battery and it even holds the charge very well, unfortunately it's not likely to be a battery issue.
I've seen other posts on this forum about the magnets being dirty or the whole shutter needing replacement.
The real bugger here, is that the camera goes back to normal after a few shots and then it's another while before the issue is back.

That's why I'm asking if people had similar issues, if it was worth sending it to repair, or if I should just wait for other more serious stuff to appear, like a shutter failure.
Apparently, in some similar instances, leica just cleaned the magnets and sent the camera back, which means it's still likely to have shutter failure eventually.

Just heard back from leica service and they did not specify whether this kind of sticky shutter issues are a prelude to something bad to happen for the shutter.
Given the info on other threads this is what I gathered:
- it might be the magnets locking/unlocking the shutter recocking mechanism
- Leica might simply clean the magnets and send it back
- I think at least one person reported receiving his M8 back from a similar issue without the shutter replaced, and the shutter did fail after another while needing a replacement.
- the quick workaround when it happens (I can confirm) is to gently tap the camera with the palm of your hand open, a small vibration is enough to trigger the recocking mechanism.

The camera is back to being totally fine, so I'll just keep using it, if you see a weirdo tapping a Leica M8 after each shot, it's probably me, say hi ; )

Out of topic but "every thing can be out of order" then the solution can be very simple.

Things we use everyday are sometimes very unpredictable or temperamental.

Yesterday I had two garage door remote controls that didn't work same time : one with only one button, and the second with four buttons.

The door did open/close well as other users can use their working remote controls.

Batteries replaced, tried with confidence, the two still not working.

So we go to the "minute-key-shop" nearby I saw that they sell remote controls, so with confidence we asked for replacement.

No luck, the man said that this model is no more available.

I asked for a new replacement, but the answer is the codes can't be replicate.

So we went back home and I tried to understand what  went wrong.

Then some suspicious blinkings of the LED told me that it was "false contacts".

🤞Contacts cleaned = that was the trouble = now the two RM 👍 work like a charm.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Out of topic but "every thing can be out of order" then the solution can be very simple.

Things we use everyday are sometimes very unpredictable or temperamental.

Yesterday I had two garage door remote controls that didn't work same time : one with only one button, and the second with four buttons.

The door did open/close well as other users can use their working remote controls.

Batteries replaced, tried with confidence, the two still not working.

So we go to the "minute-key-shop" nearby I saw that they sell remote controls, so with confidence we asked for replacement.

No luck, the man said that this model is no more available.

I asked for a new replacement, but the answer is the codes can't be replicate.

So we went back home and I tried to understand what  went wrong.

Then some suspicious blinkings of the LED told me that it was "false contacts".

🤞Contacts cleaned = that was the trouble = now the two RM 👍 work like a charm.

I've been successfully restoring all my film Ms inherited from my family, for some reason I cannot find the guts to open my M8 : )

27 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Yes I saw it and it's probably why I don't want to open it ahah, the electronics are scary!

I also thought about selling my M8 which was sold to me with the wrong shutter count information and then buy another once "newer", but I think it's a bad idea.
My M8 shoots wonderful pictures, has no sensor problems, from what I read online there's all sort of stuff that can go wrong at any given time even at low shutter count.
I just need to relax, enjoy it, and save to buy an M9 or M-D ; )

M-D IS a wonder of camera (as film like experience as possible but it's market shallow, second hand it's kind of scarse).

I didn't want to buy M-D new (too expensive, but now I know why) and found one after six months of active searching.

Aaaand the shutter is now stuck for good, I will need to send my M8 to leica.
It's a hard pill to swallow, I've just seen an M8 from a dealer go for little more than 1k with around 1k actuations, oh life.
My original reasoning behind buying an M8 in 2019 stands corrected though, the fact alone that it can be fixed and will most likely get a brand new shutter with warranty, makes this camera worth having despite all the risks involved.
Just a matter of how committed you are to keeping one functioning, and my reason for not getting an M9 was exactly my fear this M8 would soon enough get me on a 2k euros.
All in all, it looks like I'm stuck with this camera and I don't mind this, it might well be the first digital camera I can't sell, it's past the 15k actuations mark, about to get who knows how much expenses in repairs, so it looks like I have an M8 for life I guess : )

Oh oh !

First time, I read "M8 for life".

I do have some doubts ... as paper weight maybe

At some point, the M8  can't be "economically repaired" later.

Some (two ! ) M8 can go to 150 000 actuations without failing :

Statistic "shutter life" of M8

Edited by a.noctilux

My M8 have 42000 "clicks". Never had any problems. Send it in for rangefinder adjustment when I bought it used four years old. Because of the consumer law here in Norway that was free of charge. The battery is beginning to show its age. It has been with me since 2011. Other than that, a very reliable camera.

Here are the latest pictures of and with my M8:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

First time, I read "M8 for life".

I do have some doubts ... as paper weight maybe

At some point, the M8  can't be "economically repaired" later.

I meant for life...of the M8 🤣
I know some repairs are game over, either because of lack for replacement or $$$, hopefully it is not the case for my shutter.

Who knows, maybe I'll eventually give in for a CMOS, M-D maybe? It sure gets pricey at some point to keep these guys around as daily drivers.