Availability of the Q2

29 minutes ago, lhimelfarb@hotmail.com said:

I just received my USPS shipping confirmation from Crutchfield. After ordering on June 9th, it should arrive on July 29th. Slightly better than two months. 

I'm glad you didn't have an extended wait. My experience with the pre-order process has been frustrating and demonstrates an uneven distribution model and complete lack of transparency. To wit: I placed a pre-order with both the Miami & Boston Leica boutiques on 3/13/19. To date neither have been able to fulfill my order nor give me a firm delivery date. In the interim I visited my local NYC (Soho) Leica boutique and placed a pre-order on 3/15/19. The Soho store fulfilled my order about 2 weeks ago. *So far I am underwhelmed by the Q2 but that's another matter.*

I have a Q-P and didn't need the Q2 for an imminent vacation or assignment. No offense to Crutchfield (or the small camera stores) but I contend it's a travesty that Leica is unable to fulfill backorders to their flagship boutique. 

I intend to keep my pre-orders in play just to see how  long it takes for delivery and possibly allow a forum member who is "in a rush" to act as my proxy and purchase the units I ordered in March 2019!

I used to be a factory authorized servicer and had good relationships with all of the retailers in my region. One thing that I was told by both retailers and manufacturers: the manufacturers prefer their independent dealers over their factory stores. That is probably why in this roll-out we are seeing slower deliveries to the Leica stores. The independent retailers (read: we can sell more units than your factory store) would never support a manufacturer who was always given breaks to their own stores. Also, factory stores are asked to do things out of the ordinary; they solve problems that an independent couldn't afford to do. I might be wrong, but that appears to be why people who ordered this particular Leica from a factory store are waiting longer... but if they need service because the Q@ failed, Leica and their stores will service them first. As far as Adorama and B&H are concerned, they probably had hundreds of orders placed on the first day. It's amazing that they are only waiting three months to get product! The apparent difference in waiting times is not something Leica or the stores are doing on purpose. Believe me, they wish they could deliver every Q2 in the fairest way possible. Logistics are never, ever, perfect.

FWIW, I called Ace Photo yesterday based on their "call for availability" indication on their website.  They had one in stock, I paid for overnight shipping and UPS delivered it today! They were super nice to deal with.  One more call to Gary at Florham Camera of Florham, NJ USA 973-822-2626 (I simply can't say enough nice things about that transaction) and I had myself a second battery! 

Maybe I was just lucky, but I think they're out there--but perhaps more so in the smaller shops. 🙂

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, nlee1201 said:

placed my order on 07/16/2019 with adorama! an associate informed me that if I placed my order at that time my order would be fulfilled with the current round of backorder fulfillment. will report back when i receive the shipping confirmation :)

Please keep us up to date, I placed my order 05/10/2019, I hope you and I get fulfilled together ❤️ hahahaha

On 7/26/2019 at 8:57 PM, perrohunter said:

Please keep us up to date, I placed my order 05/10/2019, I hope you and I get fulfilled together ❤️ hahahaha

I have a great relationship with my Adorama business rep and over the years have traded in a ton of used gear with them. I was told last week that they don't see a light at the end of the tunnel as far as the Q2 backorder situation. I ordered on 5/13. I have a shoot next week and am renting one. Annoying to say the least. If I don't have anything concrete by September I'm going to cancel the order and roll it into something like the new Sony A7R4 which I can most likely get before the Q2. I wish I would have followed the advice on this thread to go with a smaller dealer.

1 hour ago, KidSkee said:

I have a great relationship with my Adorama business rep and over the years have traded in a ton of used gear with them. I was told last week that they don't see a light at the end of the tunnel as far as the Q2 backorder situation. I ordered on 5/13. I have a shoot next week and am renting one. Annoying to say the least. If I don't have anything concrete by September I'm going to cancel the order and roll it into something like the new Sony A7R4 which I can most likely get before the Q2. I wish I would have followed the advice on this thread to go with a smaller dealer.

I have a similar plan but with the Lumix S1R :P

• Like 1

Just an update - today I received the Q2 I ordered from Crutchfield on 7/10/2019. Camera build date was 7/10/2019. Waiting on my Sony Tough 128GB UHS II card and  lens protector. I already ordered the Lim’s black leather half case and an OP-Tech neoprene rangefinder case. Excited to start shooting with it.

If you are on one of those other retailer’s lists, I suggest you check out Crutchfield. No tax if you are out of state (VA) and there’s 2% cash back if you order it through ebate link.

Edited by wynmia
  • Like 1

I called Gary at Florham Camera on Monday, 7/29 to get put on the waitlist and he mentioned that there were about almost 20 people on the waitlist. Today I called again to check up and see how the waitlist is moving as I need the camera for a trip at the end of August and he said that I was already 5th in line. He mentioned he got 15+ cameras yesterday (delivery usually on Tuesday). If there’s anyone still waiting I would highly recommend calling him because it seems like you will get it from him much faster. Also if you are from ca, he charges no tax.

Edited by jsz

I have been shooting with mine for two days now. Ordered on June 15th, date-of-manufacture July 10th, date -of-delivery July 29th. As a first-time Leica owner my experience has been exceptional. The images are in another league; they are so much better than my full frame Nikons that you can identify them without pixel-peeping because of micro contrasts and color rendition. The Q2 is a bargain in my opinion. I just wish the battery was less than $250, and a $100 flash was available instead of a tiny $450 Leica (Metz). Those items do not effect image quality!

26 minutes ago, superetoile said:

I placed a back-order with the Leica Store SF on Monday (pre-paid), and just received the shipping notification today! Hope I didn't score a return 🤪

You should know when you unpack it if it was opened... by the way the cords, accessories, and camera are arranged.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the fully charged battery only lasted for 24 hours. Only stills... LCD and viewfinder on... auto shut-down (sleep) mode after a few seconds and never turning it off. Ninety images, no bursts, no bracketing.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lhimelfarb@hotmail.com said:

You should know when you unpack it if it was opened... by the way the cords, accessories, and camera are arranged.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the fully charged battery only lasted for 24 hours. Only stills... LCD and viewfinder on... auto shut-down (sleep) mode after a few seconds and never turning it off. Ninety images, no bursts, no bracketing.

90 shots and the battery was empty??!!

12 minutes ago, fredus said:

90 shots and the battery was empty??!!

Sounds to me and correct me if I am wrong. He took 90 pictures and then left it on sleep mode without turning it off(basically idling) and it lasted 24 hours total. I wonder how much battery life it took purely for those 90 shots.

My shooting style is like someone who has 36 shots and no film left. It helps me focus better on each shot. For that reason, 90 shots. Not 90 shots in 90 seconds. I am guessing that if I shot 300-400 shots within an 8 hour period the battery would have lasted that full 8 hours. I am also guessing that if I turned off the Viewfinder or the LCD, the shooting time would also increase. Also, as mentioned in the user manual, this battery needs forming. They recommend completely discharging it for the first 25 uses. In other words, use it to exhaustion twenty-five times and then it will reach its maximum potential. My D800 battery lasts me for weeks... but I don't use the LCD and the camera is an SLR... not an electronic viewfinder.

• Like 2