Availability of the Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Pre-ordered my Q2 on February 4th from Red Dot Cameras (UK).  Paid a deposit on March 7th and received the camera two weeks later.  Now just waiting for the Leica Thumbs Up and a new half case from Arte di Mano.

Sounds like you're doing it the way i am...   i haven't placed any orders  yet though..   I think i saw the Thumbs up available at B&H.. and the case i believe started production.  check their videos on YT...  very impressive.

1 hour ago, Giguchan said:

Sounds like you're doing it the way i am...   i haven't placed any orders  yet though..   I think i saw the Thumbs up available at B&H.. and the case i believe started production.  check their videos on YT...  very impressive.

Reading back through this thread most of the criticism of supply seems to be from the USA, where I guess there is higher demand.  Maybe Leica doesn't match demand with supply!

The rumours of a Q2 started early and by the time I ordered the spec was pretty much known, with maybe just the final price unknown.  For me, there was no downside in pre-ordering, no actual commitment and no deposit taken until the official announcement.  I part-exchanged my original Q and also decided to sell my SL and 75mm lens.  I had thought about buying the SL 35mm instead of the Q2, but size and weight considerations were the deciding factor.  

It was the right decision for my type of photography, plus purchasing the Q2 left me with a nice positive bank balance 🙂

I just canceled my order with B&H. The “that’s just the way it is with Leica” argument doesn’t sit well with me. You owe it to your distributors to communicate realistic expectations on delivery dates. I am not suggesting they should have enough stock for everyone day one. Just communicate! I find it hard to believe they can’t anticipate manufacturing/shipping timelines, evaluate demands, and communicate realistic estimates (down to the week would be great for most of us)...especially for such an expensive camera.

If Leica isn't informing retailers any information with ship dates, I can't fault those retailers (like Bhphoto, adorama, etc.). I think some retailers have asked Leica for some information, but maybe Leica really can't release any estimates due to uncertainty. If they release any estimates, people will hold it as truth, and if those estimates are not met, some might get angrier. Like with all new toys/equipment, I get frustrated with waiting until it gets into my hands, so I would probably get frustrated with any false hope that doesn't come through. I'm kind of glad the way it is now without an estimated date since i'm not super focused on waiting for a specific date and finding each day going by so slow. Each day is still slow, but not as bad as if i had a date in mind to wait for

This thread mirrors a thread when the Q was new.    As a bit of history I ordered my Q from B&H in June of 2015.   It didn't arrive at my house until Nov 2015.   Perhaps things have changed.  Perhaps not.

All I can suggest to those who are waiting for their Q2 is patience.  The Q was worth the wait.  I assume the Q2 is equally worthy.

15 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Reading back through this thread most of the criticism of supply seems to be from the USA, where I guess there is higher demand.  Maybe Leica doesn't match demand with supply!

The rumours of a Q2 started early and by the time I ordered the spec was pretty much known, with maybe just the final price unknown.  For me, there was no downside in pre-ordering, no actual commitment and no deposit taken until the official announcement.  I part-exchanged my original Q and also decided to sell my SL and 75mm lens.  I had thought about buying the SL 35mm instead of the Q2, but size and weight considerations were the deciding factor.  

It was the right decision for my type of photography, plus purchasing the Q2 left me with a nice positive bank balance 🙂

That could be the issue...  I  agree with you...   time to gather all the accessories  for the day when you get the call.

13 hours ago, emilefrey said:

I just canceled my order with B&H. The “that’s just the way it is with Leica” argument doesn’t sit well with me. You owe it to your distributors to communicate realistic expectations on delivery dates. I am not suggesting they should have enough stock for everyone day one. Just communicate! I find it hard to believe they can’t anticipate manufacturing/shipping timelines, evaluate demands, and communicate realistic estimates (down to the week would be great for most of us)...especially for such an expensive camera.

+1. Leica is not a start up company pushing out their first product. They are an established company who should have a handle on anticipated market demand. Maybe I'm being overly cynical but perhaps they purposely wait to see how many "pre-orders" they received and then start production to fill back orders. That method pretty much ensures they have no excess inventory. 

2 minutes ago, Matsaly said:

+1. Leica is not a start up company pushing out their first product. They are an established company who should have a handle on anticipated market demand. Maybe I'm being overly cynical but perhaps they purposely wait to see how many "pre-orders" they received and then start production to fill back orders. That method pretty much ensures they have no excess inventory. 

Alright, let’s try to get back to reality. Leica moved all production of their higher end (AKA non-Panasonic) cameras back to the Wetzlar factory a few years ago. They’re famous for sticking as much as possible to old school methods and eschewing the mass productions of brands like Sony, Nikon, and Canon. I’ve heard there are about 200 people employed at Wetzlar total.

I think what’s going on here is Leica has never produced a camera as immediately popular and in-demand as the Q series. Rollouts of the digital M series (in particular the M10) were also frustratingly slow, and there’s no way the preorder numbers for that were on par with a 47MP compact with a built in Summilux and autofocus for $5K. You can argue they should expand their facility and hire more staff, but I would guess they’d argue they don’t run an assembly line and that expanding in any meaningful way would be costly in both time and money. Those techs probably take years to train up. It’s a tough call because there’s never a guarantee the next idea they have will be a hit on this scale. 

8 minutes ago, toutsuite said:

Alright, let’s try to get back to reality. Leica moved all production of their higher end (AKA non-Panasonic) cameras back to the Wetzlar factory a few years ago.

How much of the Q2 is made in Wetzlar rather than Portugal and elsewhere?

Although it is frustrating I do feel sorry for the dealers who must be bombarded on a daily basis, I have tried to keep my enquiries to a minimum although it is hard to restrain myself from making that call and I did succumb this morning.  The dealer said they have had only one Q2 in this month and no indication when the next shipment is due nor how many to expect when it is despatched.  I ordered mine on 11 March so I won't be anywhere near the top of the list and now expecting a long wait, just hope my pocket is fire resistant as the money is burning a hole in it,  "good things come to those that wait" or so I keep telling myself.

On 4/16/2019 at 2:18 PM, Matsaly said:

FWIW- I'm on the wait list at Leica Soho (NYC) since 3/10. Popped into the store a few days ago after work and inquired about the status of my order. Was informed to "stay in touch with them in mid-May" to 1) keep my place in the queue & 2) possibly have an update on availability. 

Was told by a store employee that prospective purchasers who walk into the store are currently facing a 3+ month wait.

This really strikes me as a bungled introduction of a luxury good. In my case I'm in in no particular rush but I imagine a newbie being totally put off by the lack of availability and jumping ship for another brand. 

I got on a few waiting lists later in March. I just hope my wife doesn’t change her mind before I get the call! 😳

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sdw said:

I feel kind of bad — I've been on the list since before launch and have one just sitting around new in the box. I think I'll sell it - at this point it's not doing me any good. 

Oh my, just saw the latest ebay Sold listing for Q2 is at $7500 USD which sold today. with the rest all between 6250-6800. There are 2 listing right now at 8000 and 8200...at this point i am not sure what i would do if i were you!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'll wait thank you...

No inflated prices for me here...  Talk it up all you want...   to me... it's not worth  1 penny  over the   regular sticker.  I know i am in the minority  but thats my feeling.

Best of luck with your sale.  I'm sure someone will buy it.

11 minutes ago, Giguchan said:

I'll wait thank you...

No inflated prices for me here...  Talk it up all you want...   to me... it's not worth  1 penny  over the   regular sticker.  I know i am in the minority  but thats my feeling.

Best of luck with your sale.  I'm sure someone will buy it.

There are two types of people I can’t figure out. Those that would sell at those prices and those that would buy at those prices, but maybe those people deserve each other.

Here’s an idea for those that can’t wait. Buy a used Q, easily available at less than $3k. Sell your Q when the Q2 arrives for a few hundred less than you paid for it...

I have a Q and I have a Q2 on order. The Q is fantastic—still.

If you search  long enough  you will find  people  who have done the very same thing... or even KEEP the Q  as a back up!  I know i have seen at least 3 posts  saying the same thing.  whether it's on here or the  Red Dot forum  or on YT....  some might argue that money you pay for a Q  you might as well  put towards an inflated Q2....  This will  be my first Leica  so i am prepared to wait.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SoarFM said:

There are two types of people I can’t figure out. Those that would sell at those prices and those that would buy at those prices, but maybe those people deserve each other.

Here’s an idea for those that can’t wait. Buy a used Q, easily available at less than $3k. Sell your Q when the Q2 arrives for a few hundred less than you paid for it...

I have a Q and I have a Q2 on order. The Q is fantastic—still.

You can't figure them out...

First group is people who bought early, and either saw a money making opportunity early on or later. It's actually kind of smart.

They also may have bought a Q2 early... and later realized it was overkill as compered to a Q1. After seeing the Q2 scarcity... they decided to sell.

Second group... has money to burn, and don't want to wait.

I actually bought a Q2 and paid 5400 delivered. I'm not a fan of overpaying, but I had two trips planned and I wanted the Q2 for them. I debated buying a LNIB Q-P instead, but decided against that plan.

2 hours ago, Donzo98 said:

I actually bought a Q2 and paid 5400 delivered. I'm not a fan of overpaying, but I had two trips planned and I wanted the Q2 for them. I debated buying a LNIB Q-P instead, but decided against that plan.

5400 isn't bad at all. Thats pretty much what everyone is paying it for. its MSRP+TAX

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willteeyang said:

5400 isn't bad at all. Thats pretty much what everyone is paying it for. its MSRP+TAX

Funny... I had not even thought of it that way. It's so rare that I would pay tax on a big camera purchase.

I am super happy with the camera.

• Like 1