Availability of the Q2

I tired of the wait, lack of information and transparency, and what I'd characterize frankly as shoddy treatment by my "local" Leica dealer, and canceled my Q2 order just as I got the email that it was ready to ship (at BH, who were friendly and professional throughout).  I know others here have repeatedly said, "suck it up, that's just Leica, and it's consistent with other luxury brands".  Personally I buy a variety of luxury/high-end brands but without the kinds of dysfunction I'm seeing with this.  (again, I know, I know... it's not dysfunction it's the "leica experience")

For a $5000 purchase I expect more.  I bought an a7r iii.  And love it.  In many ways it's not the joy the Q has been, but it does many things as well or better.  Enough to make me basically switch what will be my main camera.  That said, I may keep the Q for now, and continue keeping an eye out for a Q2

But the anxiety it was causing me to have a pre-order in for a $5000 piece of equipment, no information flow, no sense of when, and being poorly treated by a retailer who should want to make a lifetime customer out of me, pushed me off the fence, and away from Leica.

Maybe one day I'll come back, maybe I'll stick with other brands.  I suspect Leica, nor my dealer, could not care a whit.  And therein lies the problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jon m said:

I tired of the wait, lack of information and transparency, and what I'd characterize frankly as shoddy treatment by my "local" Leica dealer, and canceled my Q2 order just as I got the email that it was ready to ship (at BH, who were friendly and professional throughout).  

Jon - I'd love to know - when did you place your order with B&H and when did you receive the ready-to-ship e-mail? I totally get your frustration ... yesterday I started looking at the Leica CL, almost ready to cancel my Q2. I'm leaving for a trip to the UK on Saturday and it looks like I won't have a camera to take along. 😕 My order was placed with B&H on March 13 (I wish I hadn't dilly-dallyed for those days since the announcement).

I placed my order on March 7th at b&h.

This is a pre-order so clearly no expectations on delivery dates. I did the same for the Sony a7iii and remember I had to wait for along time.

I wonder if the pre-order thing is just a way for companies to gauge how many units they need to produce.

Nowadays people are expecting things right away, I wonder if they should avoid taking pre-order to avoid this type of threads.

I was on the Leica Boston wait list (since minutes after the launch), and supposedly close to top of the wait list.  Come over a month later find out that they’ve shipped many Q2’s but that “I’m still a few months away”.   One employee confided to me that they have been selling Q2’s to their local customers and “vips” first before going through the wait list.  Very unprofessional.  I cancelled immediately after with them.  Should have just gone with BH or a more established Leica store.  

3 hours ago, iamyi said:

I waited exactly two month after pre-order to get my Nikon d850 so two month wait is my baseline and I probably will start to feel anxious for q2 after 2 or 3 month of wait.

2 or 3 months....  thats pretty healthy  wait time..  you can shoot your 850 in the mean time.......  I waited too .  until i got my 850.

I wonder how many 850/Nikon shooters  are also waiting for their  Q2's

22 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

I was on the Leica Boston wait list (since minutes after the launch), and supposedly close to top of the wait list.  Come over a month later find out that they’ve shipped many Q2’s but that “I’m still a few months away”.   One employee confided to me that they have been selling Q2’s to their local customers and “vips” first before going through the wait list.  Very unprofessional.  I cancelled immediately after with them.  Should have just gone with BH or a more established Leica store.  

I have a feeling all of the Leica stores do that.

22 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

Sorry to hear. That’s frustrating. I’m a nobody who just went in person and met the Leica SF staff in person and they honored my position on the list. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vov said:

Sorry to hear. That’s frustrating. I’m a nobody who just went in person and met the Leica SF staff in person and they honored my position on the list. 

It’s a good group at Leica SF, and their sister stores Leica Palm Springs.  Gary there sold me my first Leica.  Nice guy, helped teach me about cameras.  

• Like 1

Hello,  

I am reporting from Istanbul. This concerns the people who want to buy themselves a Leica Q2 ASAP..

In Istanbul Leica Store, there are 3 Leica Q2 in stock. But the bad news is: they sell it for 5510 Euros. If you are from Europe, maybe you can consider buying a cheap flight from Europe just to buy your camera. You can check the website: leicaturkiye.com 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I live in a small but happy country by the sea and on 14 March I just bought my Q2 off the shelf in a small fishing village. But everything that is good comes slowly and the Q2 is really exceptional even for a Leica user since 1978. Now I have to wait a long time for the spare battery bp-scl4. The interest in the Q2 apparently overtook Leica and is probably an indication that the interest in the SL with the same battery is not great.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:07 PM, NRKstudio said:

when i bought my Q classic something similar occurred with my order at Leica Miami....i ended up buying from Tamarkin in Chicago (my home store) (I was hoping to save the substantial sales tax - it was close to 10% at the time)

Spoke with a rep at the Leica Store here in Los Angeles. They haven't received any Q2s in April. His impression was the factory was only closed for one week at the beginning of April. But there is a total lack of transparency from the factory to Leica's own stores, which I found surprising.

Popflash told me end of March that there would be the 3 week break from leica shipping out Leica Q2s due to inventory check starting April. Last week on Monday they started getting some of the accessories in, but when they asked about the Leica Q2s, there was still no update. Still not sure what the status is, but popflash has been great with being transparent 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2019 at 5:07 AM, NRKstudio said:

Actually, dealer preference for loyal repeat buyers would be my expectation.  That’s how I’d expect a premium product to be handled.