Availability of the Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you are complaining  about waiting less than  3 months..  you're just being plain impatient.  Some Nikon people waited 4-8 months  for their D850 and were glad they waited when the box finally arrived.(i know i keep going on about this) and as another poster pointed out to me  they Bang out a LOT more Nikon's  than Leica  does Leica's..  Don't be discouraged.

Every person  that HAS received their Q2  has said it's worth the wait.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nariza7 said:

yea i just have a trip beginning of june that i was hoping to be able to use it for. Seems like i’ll prob need to use something else instead.

I was in EXACTLY THE SAME SPOT as you were in.. Please  dont be discouraged..  I had to  search out another shop  when it came to my Nikon...  just keep thinking  when you get that call.

your trip.....  not to Germany is it?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Giguchan said:

I was in EXACTLY THE SAME SPOT as you were in.. Please  dont be discouraged..  I had to  search out another shop  when it came to my Nikon...  just keep thinking  when you get that call.

your trip.....  not to Germany is it?

haha unfortunately no. Just to canada for banff. I'm guessing your trip was to Germany. For banff, other ppl will be bringing crazy big camera+lenses, so I dont have to be as discrete with my kit, so I guess Leica Q2 isnt really the best for it. ah well lol

Edited by nariza7

Banff..Nice!!

Yes i was in Germany not too long ago..  just figured that if you were going there  you might find it on your travels..

If you're  going to a National Park...  to shoot wildlife.. all that big gear is needed..  Street stuff the Q2  will  get the job done.

• Like 1

FWIW- I'm on the wait list at Leica Soho (NYC) since 3/10. Popped into the store a few days ago after work and inquired about the status of my order. Was informed to "stay in touch with them in mid-May" to 1) keep my place in the queue & 2) possibly have an update on availability. 

Was told by a store employee that prospective purchasers who walk into the store are currently facing a 3+ month wait.

This really strikes me as a bungled introduction of a luxury good. In my case I'm in in no particular rush but I imagine a newbie being totally put off by the lack of availability and jumping ship for another brand. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matsaly said:

FWIW- I'm on the wait list at Leica Soho (NYC) since 3/10. Popped into the store a few days ago after work and inquired about the status of my order. Was informed to "stay in touch with them in mid-May" to 1) keep my place in the queue & 2) possibly have an update on availability. 

Was told by a store employee that prospective purchasers who walk into the store are currently facing a 3+ month wait.

This really strikes me as a bungled introduction of a luxury good. In my case I'm in in no particular rush but I imagine a newbie being totally put off by the lack of availability and jumping ship for another brand. 

I'm that Newbie that you speak of!

Pleased to meet you!!  If you want a Leica  you will have to wait...  this is what i have come to realize...  I am exactly that guy!  This will be my first Leica and believe it or not if i had't  JUST come from the same situation  with my Nikon..  I might have jumped ship..  that is..  i dont know if would've jumped for another brand...  i would have gone  for the Q or maybe for some more money - another Model..  I'm new here... and from what I've seen so far  Leica  is a Leica....  everything else  just isn't.

I've been to the  Soho  store...  nice friendly  place...  I bought one of those  "Rope straps" there..  I dig that  sit down area  to the rear of the shop..  certainly not..  B&H

9 hours ago, willteeyang said:

Q2 is now listed over 8000 on eBay now. crazy! last sold Q2 was on April 4th and for $6800. So I guess is true that Leica factory as been closed since April.

That's just plain old silly....  Same thing is happening to Rolex...  Models that were once  going for $7k  are now "selling"  for  2 times that amount.

On 4/15/2019 at 6:17 PM, CalStanford said:

I cancelled my B&H order. Just couldn‘t take their BS anymore. Promise after promise to then finally ‚we have no clue‘ just isn‘t comforting for an over $5000 fun purchase

B&H may simply not have a clue.  Have purchased from them for years.  Ordered mine at the time on introduction and receive it a couple of weeks ago.  Don't shoot the messenger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the rumors of the factory being closed for the first three weeks of April are true, I would be surprised if B&H doesn’t have a new shipment ETA by the end of next week. It’s a safe bet they’re one of (if not the) largest Leica dealers in the world, most likely with the largest backorder list. I’m guessing Leica will be in touch. 

As mentioned, I lucked in with a Q2 from Park Cameras UK just one week after launch.

I’m really surprised that no priority was given to “regular” Leica customers.  I’m just a Leica “blow in” and yet pick up the first Q2 sent out.  Their distribution seems random - first come, first served.  This seems very odd, when a premium brand relies heavily on loyalty (and trust).

As for my Q2, I’m somewhat disappointed.  The 28 is wider than I like and the focus (AF and MF) not implemented well for me.  I don’t like the plastic focus ring lock release and AF is hit/miss (cf Eye AF on Sony).  The Q2 lens is nice in ideal lighting...but I really miss the extra speed of the 35/1.4 Summilux on my old SL.

So, for me, this wasn’t £4.5k well spent.  The Q2 is too point/shoot in a body so large.  Also, Leica Fotos doesn’t work and the file sizes slow workflow.

I’m already considering trading my new Q2 for a M10....and the ability to use small MF Leica glass.  With lazy AF on the Q2, I’d much rather blame my own rangefinder technique than be cursing the technology.

For those frustrated by the waitlist, I’d be sticking with the original Q or picking up a discounted Q-P

Sorry to whinge. 🙄

Edited by paul.bridges.3388

3 hours ago, toutsuite said:

If the rumors of the factory being closed for the first three weeks of April are true, I would be surprised if B&H doesn’t have a new shipment ETA by the end of next week. It’s a safe bet they’re one of (if not the) largest Leica dealers in the world, most likely with the largest backorder list. I’m guessing Leica will be in touch. 

AND just note that B&H goes on holiday end of day tomorrow till April 28th. so yes looks like MAY is when they will arrive! (IF a bulk of shipment form Leica is being delivered to BH that is)

Edited by willteeyang
typo
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CalStanford said:

Yea shenanigans like this is why I won’t order from them again. Sorry

B&H is one of the best (if not THE best) photo equipment retailers in the business for the more than 30 years I’ve shopped with them. No BS, no games—ever. They don’t control the Leica shipping schedule. If the waiting list is long at B&H, its because of their earned reputation.

• Like 4