Sign in to follow this  
wilfredo

Q2 vs Sony A7RII - Any Thoughts?

vor 23 Minuten schrieb SrMi:

Neither S1R nor Q2 have sensor size 8368 x 5584.

What you are probably seeing is the crop that is automatically applied by LR (same crop size for Q2 and S1R),

Q2's sensor size is 8424 x 5632, and S1R has a slightly different sensor size. The real sensor size is encoded in the EXIF of the raw file.

No, I'm not looking at LR, I open the files in Preview, the DNG converted from the RW2, and the images displayed have identical size,  8368 x 5584 for the Q2 and for the S1R. But when I use ExifTool, the sizes are slightly different but very close, for the Q2, as you wrote, 8424 x 5632 = 47.4 MPx, and for the S1R is 8448 x 5632 = 47.6 MPx. These are effective pixels anyway and the sensor size is probably slightly larger.

On 3/9/2019 at 3:02 AM, wilfredo said:

I'm wondering if any Sony users have dumped their Sony mirrorless gear for the Leica Q2?  Any thoughts when comparing image quality?

Dear Wilfredo,

Yes I am slowly dumping my Sony gear for Leica (because I prefer the Leica colors, ergonomics, and the Leica DNG format). I have the a7RII and I agree with everyone that says the sensor is astonishingly good. Also agree that the ergonomics are terrible. Really just awful. The menu system and the logic are just maddening.

I have the Q and a full CL system. A previous poster said that the lens on the Q does the heavy lifting and that is a great way to put it. That lens and sensor combination yields magical results. 

After all these years of photography and gear obsession, the one thing I’ve come to understand and appreciate is that optical performance is mostly about specific lenses (and sometimes particular cameras).

For example, on my a7RII I get astonishingly good results when I use the Sony Zeiss 35mm f1.4. On my CL, I get magic when I use the Summilux TL 35mm f1.4. On my M8.2 I got dreamy results from the Summicron 35mm. And the Q’s lens is just one of those magical lenses with stellar performance. The handling and ergonomics and menu system of the camera are of course equally important.

Bottom line advice: don’t give up the a7RII for a Q2. They are different animals. Get the Q in addition to your a7RII. 

Only give up your a7RII when you’re ready for the Leica SL system. Ultimately, that’s the apples to apples comparison. 

Thats why I kept my a7RII and two Zeiss lenses (35mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.4). 

The used market value of an a7RII these days is peanuts. Lucky to get more than about $1,500 for one. So there’s little point in selling it. It will deliver more value to you if you keep it (for astrophotography, sports, telephoto portraiture, wildlife and long exposure, for example - all things that the Q will struggle with).

Q2 can live happily alongside the a7RII for everything else. Plus, the Q’s are delightful travel companions - weighing less, in a smaller package than the a7RII with a close equivalent 24mm f1.4 GM lens. The 28mm f2 Sony is good but not as good as the Summilux on the Q.

13 hours ago, Chaemono said:

No, I'm not looking at LR, I open the files in Preview, the DNG converted from the RW2, and the images displayed have identical size,  8368 x 5584 for the Q2 and for the S1R. But when I use ExifTool, the sizes are slightly different but very close, for the Q2, as you wrote, 8424 x 5632 = 47.4 MPx, and for the S1R is 8448 x 5632 = 47.6 MPx. These are effective pixels anyway and the sensor size is probably slightly larger.

Preview, as well as LR, applies automatically software distortion correction that includes cropping of the original raw.

More indications that S1R and Q2 have different sensors can be seen in the latest PDR vs ISO graphs:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Leica Q2,Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R