Q2 vs Sony A7RII - Any Thoughts?

Just pre-ordered the Q2. Have an A7RII with some Zeiss Loxia lenses and some Sony lenses. Having owned a Q previously, there's definitely something about the Q DNG files that I love - beautiful rendering. I don't get quite the same feeling with the SOOC RAWs on Sony, but the sensor is amazing and you can really make it shine in post. The Sony has many buttons and dials, most of which I never touch (except by mistake because I've forgotten what does what) - but when you need the tech, it's there in spades. The Leica is a pleasure to shoot with.

• Like 2

Not directly related to OP's question, but I have the Q and A7RII. Different beasts and I use them both. Q's quality is comparable to A7RII in real world, unless of course cropping a lot and/or 100% pixel peeping. I don't shoot at crazy high ISOs though. No matter how good Q2 is, it cannot replace my A7RII + Batis 135MM or GM 100-400. Nor can it replace my Loxia 21MM. And yes, I did pre-order the Q2 but have no intention selling the A7RII. 

PS: Popflash was offering a free extra battery for Q2 for pre-paid orders, not sure if they still have the offer. The pre-order can be cancelled if needed. 

Edited by ravinj

I am waiting to see the sensor performance of the Q2.

I own both the Q and the A7rII, the Q's sensor just could not compete with the latter when it came to High ISO and Dynamic range.  The cropping ability of the 42mp sensor tilted the scale further into A7RII's favor.  It's the lens that is doing the heavy lifting on the Q when it comes to IQ.

That Sony sensor is really something.  Images coming out of A7RII + Sony 24mm 1.4G can compete with anything out there.  RX1R II uses the same sensor and combined with the 35mm f2 lens, it nets you great IQ as well.

Q2 has solved the cropping with high MP sensor.  I am interested to see the High ISO and dynamic range performance now.

Honestly I will be disappointed if it is not at the very least technically close to A7RII's sensor, which is what....4-5 year old tech now?

Edited by xaradaisy

For me, it is the haptics that takes a camera from being on standby to the phone, to being a camera I use. 

The Sony RXs did not do it for me. 

The A7 series is tainted to me by the Nex7 which was a play station players idea of a camera. 

• Like 3

vor 2 Stunden schrieb xaradaisy:

I own both the Q and the A7rII, the Q's sensor just could not compete with the latter when it came to High ISO and Dynamic range.  The cropping ability of the 42mp sensor tilted the scale further into A7RII's favor.  It's the lens that is doing the heavy lifting on the Q when it comes to IQ.

That Sony sensor is really something.  Images coming out of A7RII + Sony 24mm 1.4G can compete with anything out there.  RX1R II uses the same sensor and combined with the 35mm f2 lens, it nets you great IQ as well.

Q2 has solved the cropping with high MP sensor.  I am interested to see the High ISO and dynamic range performance now.

Honestly I will be disappointed if it is not at the very least technically close to A7RII's sensor, which is what....4-5 year old tech now?

In terms of noise, ISO 4000 looks good to me in the DNGs available on DPR. This sensor is non-BSI and it needs to be compared to the BSI sensors of the α7R II/III and Z7. It will happen, with the same lens. 😀

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, xaradaisy said:

The A7RII + 24 G master is 50% heavier and much bigger than the Q2. I think the Q2 will be class leading when compared apples to apples. The Leica site says the camera has 14 stops of dynamic range. The example images look stunning. Though, there’s more to a camera than the sensor.

• Like 1

I have 2 A7rIII's along with 4 of their GM and other lenses and sold my Q a few weeks ago. the nearest combo to the the Q2 is the A7rIII along with the 24GM which make from an awesome package though it is a little heavier and a wider FOV. No way would I consider selling the Sony for the Q because it is a real workhorse and system camera with such flexible sensor. Of course I am seriously tempted by the Q2 but it is an awful lot of money at £4250 it is a lot more than the £2800 i paid for the original Q. Also one of the things that I found limiting with the Q (and now with the Q2) is the lack of an articulating LCD something that is unlike ever to be introduced in a Leica camera. With the higher resolution sensor I wonder how the Q2 face detect will work compared to the 'eye detect' focusing on the A7rIII which is soon to get a firmware upgrade to make it even better.  AlsoI really want to know how it performs at high iso an area where the Sony sensor shines and leica have always struggled. On top of this I have Sony Pro support which really helps with very quick service times something which leica lacks. 

Edited by viramati

2 hours ago, viramati said:

Also one of the things that I found limiting with the Q (and now with the Q2) is the lack of an articulating LCD something that is unlike ever to be introduced in a Leica camera.

Yes I always pooh-poohed the idea of a folding screen – until I bought a camera with one! (Nikon z7.) Jolly useful if shooting, say, squirrels feeding on the ground, cats, flowers etc.

4 hours ago, microview said:

Yes I always pooh-poohed the idea of a folding screen – until I bought a camera with one! (Nikon z7.) Jolly useful if shooting, say, squirrels feeding on the ground, cats, flowers etc.

+1 especially since the knees no longer do what they were designed to do 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cirke said:

I have a A7RIII , the files are fantastic, but the ergonomic ... the body , my god ! I hate it

As much as I love the simplicity of the Leica menu and body layout I now find that with my A7rIII's I can change the parameters I need to on the fly actually quicker than I could on the Q

For me, Q/Q2 are perfect hiking cameras. Just take and go, no need to agonize over which lens to take and no compromise on IQ. I don't see Qs and A7 as mutually exclusive. Right tool for the job. Complaints about ergonomics are a bit overrated, I can use Sonys and Canons as easily as the Q. 

43 minutes ago, viramati said:

As much as I love the simplicity of the Leica menu and body layout I now find that with my A7rIII's I can change the parameters I need to on the fly actually quicker than I could on the Q

there are buttons everywhere... for me it's a horror, it's made for computer scientists or cosmonauts but not for photographers

... but the 85 GM is fantastic

Edited by cirke
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, viramati said:

When I'm photographing street, when I see a subject I make a decision whether I'm going to stand still and take a shot or take it whilst I walk.

Now that could be the difference between f8 1/250th and F1.7 1/2000th

I can make that adjustment so much faster than I can on my Sony A9, which I'd have to wait for the live view to appear because it's switched to EVF due to proximity - then when I spin the shutter wheel there's often lag before wakes up properly and changes.

So for the way I work, I can use the Q much quicker

• Like 1

For street I had a preset on the Q set to auto iso with a 1/500 sec minimum shutter speed and would adjust the aperture to suit. I do the same on the A7rIII (my custom set 1)but have auto iso set to a custom button and can very quickly change the range actually faster than I could on the Q. Of course if you are manually setting shutter speed then the Q is quicker.

1 hour ago, cirke said:

there are buttons everywhere... for me it's a horror, it's made for computer scientists or cosmonauts but not for photographers

... but the 85 GM is fantastic

In many ways I agree but once you get the camera set up I find it to be actually quite simple to use but what I really don't like about the Sony is the overcomplicated auto focus settings which I believe in the upcoming firmware we will be able to customise to hide the options we don't want

17 hours ago, Chaemono said:

In terms of noise, ISO 4000 looks good to me in the DNGs available on DPR. This sensor is non-BSI and it needs to be compared to the BSI sensors of the α7R II/III and Z7. It will happen, with the same lens. 😀

I am not afraid to use ISO 12800 on my A7RII.  In fact, my Auto-ISO is set for 1/60 sec minimum shutter speed and a max ISO of 12800. Have yet to be disappointed with noise in my files at that setting.

On my Q on the other hand, I do not push ISO past 6400, and even at 6400 ISO some files come out with too much noise.

Sony sensors have clearly been better.

On the other hand ergonomics of the Qs are clearly better.

IMO, the shooting experience is better with the Q, but the files experience is better with the Sony A7RII/RX1RII.

Edited by xaradaisy
  • Like 1

I don’t shoot daily or even weekly. I have to relearn what everything does / is set to on the A7RII every time I shoot. And in the moment, it is easy to hit the wrong thing or turn the wrong dial. The Q (and I imagine the Q2) is easy to pick up, know what to adjust, and shoot. Without a bunch of settings or fancy tech getting in the way. IMO of course.

• Like 3