Sign in to follow this  
wilfredo

Q2 vs Sony A7RII - Any Thoughts?

Like Adobe, I've dumped Sony (but for different reasons (don't want subscriptions). I've had quite a few Sony: RX1V1 and V2; RX100 (numerous versions); A7M2/M3 (just sold M3); A7SM2.  Too many, I know, wife complaining I'm wasting money! True.  I also had the Leica X1 which was one of the best cameras I've owned (absolutely beautiful pictures). SO: here's my response.  The Sony's take wonderful images. I've taken some with RX1 that were phenomenal. The A7M3 which I just sold--wonderful pictures. I also had the Q1.  Hate to say it, but for some reason didn't warm to the image quality. I'm sure it was me.  Well, I ordered the Q2, and that's the camera I'm sticking with. I'm confident it will be fantastic. I shoot 35mm, and the only improvement of the Q2 (for me) would have been a 35mm instead of the 28. However, with the 35 crop now being 30mp, there'd be more resolution and extra cropping power if needed.  The simplicity and beauty of Leica is just too much to pass up, being that I have to stop buying cameras and settle on one make (Leica). I must admit that all the Sony's seemed too clinical, even though I've got some fantastic pics with them.  People complain about the complicated Sony menus, and they have a point, but being a computer nerd, they didn't bother me (too much).  But the Leica menus are just so pleasant. So, I don't know if that helped your decision...

I have the A7rIII with some excellent e-mount glass and the Q. The Q I pick up when I want to take pictures. The Sony is used when I have to take pictures (am not a pro, but sometimes even amateurs "have" to take pictures). The Sony's technical performance is very impressive, DR, high iso, AF, eye AF, battery, but it lacks the Leica's brilliance in UI, looks and feel, menu system. 

On 3/9/2019 at 2:02 AM, wilfredo said:

I'm wondering if any Sony users have dumped their Sony mirrorless gear for the Leica Q2?  Any thoughts when comparing image quality?

I own the A7rII and obtained the Q2 last week. So far what I can say: 

1. A7rII is a BSI sensor, which means less chroma noise at high ISO, but I didn't see much chroma noise issues on the Q2 either (may be the noise reduction is actually helping here).  Other than that, both sensor are really similar quality wise.

2. Sensor wise, they are really similar. 27mm f1.8 is really sharp on the Q2, but the Zeiss 55mm f1.8 seems somewhat sharper on the A7rII (that the thought I had, I would need to do a direct comparison). A7rII has a similar cheap lens (28mm f2) which behave correct, but the colors are not as pleasing as leica.

3. Color profile on the A7rII are really flat. They don't have much character (unless you use Zeiss lenses,), and I don't like to share them without editing - but still the editing power is amazing on it (e.g. if you like to use LR for all your photos with heavy editing, you are going to be pleased).

4.A7r2: 30s ISO96400 exposure starts to show hot pixels on the A7r2, but hey, you can't do that on the Q2.. (see the following thread:

5. Q2 is faster to operate than A7r2 for AF and shooting (thanks to leaf shutter). But to be honest, the A7r2 is not a slow camera. 

6. You can get cheap underwater housing for the A7r2, which works really well (e.g. https://www.dpreview.com/news/2689434478/photo-of-the-week-swimming-with-humpback-whales-in-tonga)

If you do night/astro -> Get the A7r2 (the limitation I found on the Q2 makes it hard) with some good glasses. But personally, if you want a better IQ camera, with awesome color profile, the GFX50s and GFX50r are no brainer to be honest! Those are really beautiful camera, with even better performance. you can adapt third party lenses too. See some article I did with the GFX50s: 

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0330121021/behind-the-scenes-trapped-in-a-blizzard-with-the-fujifilm-gfx-50s 

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/06/beautiful-photo-captures-sydney-opera-house-and-milky-way-galaxy-together/

Any specific questions, let me know.

I currently have the a7rii with Loxia and Batis lenses.  Because I have the Q2 in preorder, I wanted to get some feedback about high ISO horizontal banding.  Those who have both, can you please share your thoughts on this subject?  We all know a7rii is a technical masterpiece, so maybe it's not fair to compare the two sensors.  However, Q2's high ISO horizontal banding is somewhat disappointing and concerning to me.  I found couple of RAW Q2 photos online and tried lifting shadows in LR, and found the banding to be unacceptable.  Is this something Q2 owners have to live with?  

Posted (edited)

Here is another photo with same results after lifting shadows...

I'd really appreciate it if anyone with both a7rii and Q2 share honest thoughts.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by joonrhee

Posted (edited)

I have not seen banding like that from the Q2

Out of curiosity, here is an ISO 8000 example with +85 shadows (LR)

I will shoot some live music on Wednesday night with it, perhaps something closer to test against, however I would not edit an image like this

ISO8000 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

ISO8000 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

and for a crazy exposure push

ISO 8000 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Edited by dancook

Thank you for your response and image.  I wouldn't edit an image like that either but just wanted to see what the Q2 sensor was capable of..  Well first image was ISO 12500 and second one was ISO 4000..  I don't know what to make out of those..

Posted (edited)

You extracted those images out of DPReview samples gallery.

Those came from Q2 pre-production I believe.

It might not have had the latest software update.

Edited by xaradaisy

Hi xaradaisy, yes I did.  I wasn't aware that it was Q2 pre-production model..

I'm still curious to see what other Q2 owners are finding out about this issue..

Again, I have my Q2 in preorder, but if this horizontal banding is something I have to live with I'll definitely have to think twice about the order.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb LexS:

Steve Huf looked at Q/Q2 and compared it with Sony AIII. Interesting.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/03/27/the-leica-q2-real-world-review-and-experience-worth-the-5k/

Steve Huff seems to notice the noise at higher ISO with the Q2. Honest assessment. That’s why I got the S1. S1R has the same sensor as Q2. The S1 shows less noise than the α7II/III in low light. The 24 MPx ‘grain’ of the S1 is quite pleasing relative to the Sony IMO.

20 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Steve Huff seems to notice the noise at higher ISO with the Q2. Honest assessment. That’s why I got the S1. S1R has the same sensor as Q2. The S1 shows less noise than the α7II/III in low light. The 24 MPx ‘grain’ of the S1 is quite pleasing relative to the Sony IMO.

I had been waiting for the S1 to replace my (stolen) SL....but it’s SO big. 😕 Now shooting Q2 while I wait to see what they do with the SL2.  The Sony is such a capable camera (particularly as I enjoy Lightroom tweaking) but the images don’t quite sing like the Leica’s.  Hence I just traded my A7R.

I didn't sell my A7R2 (and Voigtlander/Loxia/Sony lenses) because I ordered a Q2. I sold the Sony because I have a Fuji GFX50s with a zoom and 2 primes and the Fuji is so much better in every respect but just a little bigger and heavier.

The only reason I had kept the Sony was because it was supposed to be my slightly lighter walk around camera except I feel I had to relearn it's terrible interface if I didn't use it for a couple weeks. The Sony equipment had simply fallen into disuse.

Things kinda changed when I got the Q. When I bought the CL, that put the nail in the coffin of the Sony. I just sold off the last bits of all my Sony equipment last week. Recouping some of my money from the Sony stuff was nice, but losing all the clutter and acknowledging I just didn't really like using it was liberating.

I've ordered a Q2 because I surprise myself how often I reach for the Q even with well equipped CL and Fuji kits also at hand.

Been there done that with Sony. Experimented with their Zeiss lenses and adapted M lenses. Despised the colors and ergonomics which throws out any slight IQ advantage it may have over it's competitors. I'm now a happy camper with Leica, Fuji and Hasselblad.

I have both: Q2 and the A7RIII - got rid of all my Leica M and lenses - why bother?

Am 29.3.2019 um 14:56 schrieb Chaemono:

what is S1r? Do you mean the VX1q?

vor 51 Minuten schrieb M10 for me:

what is S1r?

Lumix S1R introduced in 2019, sensor size 8368 x 5584 = 46.7 MPx. Q2 introduced in 2019, sensor size 8368 x 5584 = 46.7 MPx. Highly likely the basis of the sensor and the pixel design are the same for both cameras and, therefore, the low light, high ISO noise, DR performance are very close. Except that the Lumix S1R has an interchangeable mount. One can, therefore, mount the same M lens, for example, on it, and on the α7R III, that Steve Huff refers to in his Q2 review, and eliminate the effect that different lenses have on overall IQ. By keeping as many variables as possible constant, performance comparisons of different camera sensors, i.e. Q2 sensor vs. α7R III sensor, are more accurate. Better lenses will yield cleaner, sharper images, and can distort the perception of a sensor's performance. 😁

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

Lumix S1R introduced in 2019, sensor size 8368 x 5584 = 46.7 MPx. Q2 introduced in 2019, sensor size 8368 x 5584 = 46.7 MPx. Highly likely the basis of the sensor and the pixel design are the same for both cameras and, therefore, the low light, high ISO noise, DR performance are very close. Except that the Lumix S1R has an interchangeable mount. One can, therefore, mount the same M lens, for example, on it, and on the α7R III, that Steve Huff refers to in his Q2 review, and eliminate the effect that different lenses have on overall IQ. By keeping as many variables as possible constant, performance comparisons of different camera sensors, i.e. Q2 sensor vs. α7R III sensor, are more accurate. Better lenses will yield cleaner, sharper images, and can distort the perception of a sensor's performance. 😁

Neither S1R nor Q2 have sensor size 8368 x 5584.

What you are probably seeing is the crop that is automatically applied by LR (same crop size for Q2 and S1R),

Q2's sensor size is 8424 x 5632, and S1R has a slightly different sensor size. The real sensor size is encoded in the EXIF of the raw file.