Cropping - "Feature" or a Marketing Gimmick?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/20/2019 at 10:09 AM, Mr.Q said:

I find it amusing that some folks are OK with putting their fullframe M lenses on an APS-C body but not OK with cropping a fullframe image in camera or in post, effectively doing the same thing optically.

I am OK with both. I advocate for 35mm crop with the Q, very practical. With stellar results.

But I found that 50mm is a bit of a stretch and 75mm is really gimmicky. 

On 3/21/2019 at 7:50 AM, jaapv said:

Some folks wouldn't do so if there were equivalent lenses in the CL system. For instance a Summilux TL 24 asph. "Unfortunately" we have to use M lenses. At least we don't lose megapixels by doing so. And, at least we have a choice, and are not limited by the camera concept. For the record: I am perfectly OK with whichever way anybody uses whatever  camera. I'm just pointing out practicalities.

Well noted, and the practicality of the Q2 is the ability to shoot usable images from 28mm to 50mm without the need to carry other lenses.

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I am OK with both. I advocate for 35mm crop with the Q, very practical. With stellar results.

But I found that 50mm is a bit of a stretch and 75mm is really gimmicky. 

Perhaps on the Q1. On the Q2, you still get clean files at 75mm.  I find the high ISO (25,600+) marketing to be much more gimmicky in that regard. The noise levels make the files unusable.

• 1 month later...

I have a Q and a Q2 on order in the hopes that the 35mm crop will simulate a true 35mm lens.  From reading this thread, however, I’m realizing that this is an unrealistic expectation.  The barrel distortion from the wider angle lens will still be there in the 35mm crop, depending of course on the position of the crop.  If one really wants the look of 35 or 50mm, is there really any alternative to using those primes?

3 hours ago, PMCG said:

I have a Q and a Q2 on order in the hopes that the 35mm crop will simulate a true 35mm lens.  From reading this thread, however, I’m realizing that this is an unrealistic expectation.  The barrel distortion from the wider angle lens will still be there in the 35mm crop, depending of course on the position of the crop.  If one really wants the look of 35 or 50mm, is there really any alternative to using those primes?

Position of the crop? Using crop modes it is only central. 

Edited by dancook