First Notice That SL2 Will Be Announced In June

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You're not making this any easier Scott, LOL.

I hadn't thought of it that way, and I will research the length(s) and compare for example to my 90mm Summicron R. It's the shorter focal lengths that seem to never get shorter, whereas my 35mm Summicron R is "reasonably" short, albeit quite heavy.

Appreciate your time.

Gary

***Edit***

90mm Summicron R, plus adapter LR-LM plus Leica adapter M-L is 90mm long. B&H website says Summicron SL 90mm is 102mm. Not a lot in it, except the cost of course.

Edited by gbealnz
Measured the 90 Summicron R

FWIW I have the Summilux-R 35mm (ROM).  Pretty large and heavy lens for what it is - especially so when on an adapter on the SL  Beautiful images, however, keeping in mind that it is not a landscape lens.

Will be interesting to see if the new 35mm SL will be good enough to retire it...

Edited by AZN
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 10:48 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

My R Summilux 80, on its R to L adapter, is the same size as the new 75  and 90 Summicron SL

If you have several R lenses, you only have to carry one adapter and the R lens hoods are much smaller than the SL’s.

In the same camera bag, I can easily put at least twice as many R lenses than SL’s with lens hoods.

I mean in volume.

The total weight will make it difficult to walk.

😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

You should just think that 47MP 24x36 cameras  are modern day 645 film cameras ; 24MP APS-C are modern day 24x36 film ones. And m4/3 is equivalent to old APS film  

And now modern day AF lenses size match up 

The question is : did you need 645 cameras in the past ? If not nowadays APS-C are all you ever need to use. 

Edited by nicci78

I liked my Mamiya7 6x7 and Fuji GSW 6x9. But can not afford a S3 nowadays 😉 
At the moment i am torn to the GFX System, but i think it is reasonable to invest in L-Mount system instead…
Waiting for SL2 and if price and features are what i like, i will buy it. If not, i tend to S1R…

• Like 1