Digilux 2 sensor failure , repairable by any chance?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/9/2020 at 6:36 AM, corson said:

Thank you Einst_Stein. I have replaced the sensor in a lot of these cameras now and I'm really pleased to keep them going. I prefer to find non working cameras, repair them and sell on. I am now disinclined to offer a repair service. However if you are prepared to have a go yourself then I would send you a working sensor in exchange for cost price + your old sensor.

Here is what you have to do.

https://repairnotes.wordpress.com/2009/09/26/lc1-disassembly-guide/

Thanks Carson for your kind offer. Unfortunately I am just no where as handy as you might think. 

It is funny I could not even keep every glass surface clean, I have tried to adjust a Kodak Retina IIIc range finder, and ended up with a every piece of glass I touched full of dirts and water marks.  The second times I tried to clean those glass pieces with ultrasonic water tank, and dried them after crystal clear and clean, I damage a screw/hole that they won’t be reassembled precise and firm.

I have EE background, but to solderi a piece of electronic component, it has to be a board of foot ball field large, 

but I would express my sincere appreciations to you for all on this thread (and the future to come), I am sure many will find your info and knowledge very useful.

For me, if I get really serious about this project, I think I would rely on you.  

Edited by Einst_Stein

On 2/9/2020 at 6:36 AM, corson said:

Thank you Einst_Stein. I have replaced the sensor in a lot of these cameras now and I'm really pleased to keep them going. I prefer to find non working cameras, repair them and sell on. I am now disinclined to offer a repair service. However if you are prepared to have a go yourself then I would send you a working sensor in exchange for cost price + your old sensor.

With  second thought, I think I could send you my Digilux 2 for free if you issue me a shipping label. 

I can then clean up a shelf space and you can help to bring back its life as well as find it a new home.

7 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Thanks Carson for your kind offer. Unfortunately I am just no where as handy as you might think. 

It is funny I could not even keep every glass surface clean, I have tried to adjust a Kodak Retina IIIc range finder, and ended up with a every piece of glass I touched full of dirts and water marks.  The second times I tried to clean those glass pieces with ultrasonic water tank, and dried them after crystal clear and clean, I damage a screw/hole that they won’t be reassembled precise and firm.

I have EE background, but to solderi a piece of electronic component, it has to be a board of foot ball field large, 

but I would express my sincere appreciations to you for all on this thread (and the future to come), I am sure many will find your info and knowledge very useful.

For me, if I get really serious about this project, I think I would rely on you.  

Thank you for your kind words Einst_Stein. I also have no training in electric/electronics or anything like that. I taught myself to solder about 10 years ago and started taking cameras apart. My soldering is OK for bigger stuff but I now leave the soldering of the Sony chip to a professional. It takes the worry out of maybe destroying a ribbon. I wrecked two on my first attempts. It's not really difficult to transplant the sensor. Just a lot of screws and a few ribbons to remove. The tricky part is keeping the sensor clean. Dust is a problem and it's difficult to see until a few test shots have been made. So several times I have had to strip the camera down again.

7 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

With  second thought, I think I could send you my Digilux 2 for free if you issue me a shipping label. 

I can then clean up a shelf space and you can help to bring back its life as well as find it a new home.

Thank you again. I couldn't possibly accept a free camera. I shall PM you later today with a suggestion or two.

On 2/9/2020 at 2:36 PM, corson said:

Thank you, Corson, for such a straightforward and easy to follow guide!  

It would be nice if all guides were as easy to follow as yours.  I don't need to do anything to either of my D2's at the moment (touch wood!) but if I did I think your guide would encourage me to give it a go.

Pete.

8 hours ago, farnz said:

Thank you, Corson, for such a straightforward and easy to follow guide!  

It would be nice if all guides were as easy to follow as yours.  I don't need to do anything to either of my D2's at the moment (touch wood!) but if I did I think your guide would encourage me to give it a go.

Pete.

Thank you Pete, but I cannot take credit for the repair notes. I found them on the internet years ago and they enabled me to attempt my first stripdown. I have done it so often now that I can take a sensor out in under 10 minutes. Hopefully you never have to take one apart.

Regards,,,,John.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The supplier in Germany of the F717 chips has sold all his stock now. I believe that there is a supplier on Ebay USA but I haven't checked recently. Unfortunately I am no longer able to offer a repair service for the D2/LC1. I still have some spares but no chips.

1 hour ago, corson said:

The supplier in Germany of the F717 chips has sold all his stock now. I believe that there is a supplier on Ebay USA but I haven't checked recently. Unfortunately I am no longer able to offer a repair service for the D2/LC1. I still have some spares but no chips.

That's sad to hear but thank you for the service you've managed to provide until now. 🙂

Pete.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, a new member here with a slightly different problem with my D2. All functions work without a memory card in place. As soon as I insert a memory card (2gb) I get a memory card error and the camera locks up. I have tried formatting the card using the Panasonic sd card formatting tool but no luck there. The card works perfectly in my Fuji X100. Could this be a circuit board problem and if so can it be repaired?

34 minutes ago, Claudius17 said:

Hi everyone, a new member here with a slightly different problem with my D2. All functions work without a memory card in place. As soon as I insert a memory card (2gb) I get a memory card error and the camera locks up. I have tried formatting the card using the Panasonic sd card formatting tool but no luck there. The card works perfectly in my Fuji X100. Could this be a circuit board problem and if so can it be repaired?

Welcome to the forum, Claudius17!

My initial guess would be that your 2GB SD card might be of a type that's too modern for your Digilux 2.  The D2 was released in 2004 and SD card technology has moved forward massively over the past 16 years of course.  The D2 can't use SDHC or SDXC cards - they need to be plain, ordinary SD cards (which were formerly called MM as in 'MultiMedia' cards and the SD card added the plastic write-lock switch).

Pete.

6 minutes ago, DaveMo said:

Hi @Claudius17,

Try doing a search for "Leica dlux2 memory card problems" as it seems other users have had the same problems. It could be your memory card which is causing the problem.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I assume that you're aware that the D-Lux 2 is a different camera from the Digilux 2 and therefore the card problems might be different for the two cameras?

Pete.

Thanks guys, it is a Digilux 2 and as far as I am aware the card I have is a plain SD card from a company called Vida which is advertised as being suitable for the camera. I have another card arriving later this week which is also advertised as suitable for a Digilux 2. I've only just received the camera from Harrisons in Sheffield and it was sold with a 12 month warranty. I have emailed them to see if they actually tested the camera with a card in situ before sending it out. All is, therefore, not lost but it would have been nice to be able to use this iconic camera. 

Colin

1 hour ago, Schafrat said:

Hi all,

does anyone know a seller for the D2 sensor? I like to try to repair mine myself, I have 6 D2's and 3 F717's and last week one of the D2's went down....

No I don't but it's the same Sony 2/3" CCD sensor that's in the Panasonic DMC-LC1 camera in case that helps?

Out of curiosity, why do you have 6 D2's?  (I'm only slightly less 'guilty' because I have 2 D2's. 😂)

Pete.

On 12/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, farnz said:

No I don't but it's the same Sony 2/3" CCD sensor that's in the Panasonic DMC-LC1 camera in case that helps?

Out of curiosity, why do you have 6 D2's?  (I'm only slightly less 'guilty' because I have 2 D2's. 😂)

Pete.

Hi Pete, its a virus i think, Digiluxitis Fatalis!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 8:42 AM, Schafrat said:

Hi all,

does anyone know a seller for the D2 sensor? I like to try to repair mine myself, I have 6 D2's and 3 F717's and last week one of the D2's went down....

if you google the sony sensor DSC-F707 DSC-F717, you can find a link to aliexpress.  i don know if it' s legitimate or not, and it would probably take a few weeks for them to deliver anything, but it's the only new sensor i see advertised for sale.  if my digilux needs a sensor, i think i'd pull one out of a f717 and transfer it over.  from reading all of carson's post, the link to the repairnotes website, and looking at instructional soldering videos on youtube, it looks like one would need a desoldering pump to get the chip off of the sony board and then micro-solder the chip onto the leica board.  i think investing in the right tools and materials would be key to successfully doing it.