Digilux 2 sensor failure , repairable by any chance?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 3/8/2019 at 7:46 AM, Einst_Stein said:

Someone posted a couple years ago that he can repair it with the spare parts.

Still possible today? 

I can repair the sensor using the chip from the Sony F717. I repaired 3 LC1s in one day in November 2019. I haven't got round to selling them yet probably because I like them so much.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:39 AM, corson said:

I can repair the sensor using the chip from the Sony F717. I repaired 3 LC1s in one day in November 2019. I haven't got round to selling them yet probably because I like them so much.

The question is if Sony 717  is going to die soon?  My infos suggests very few Digilux 2 live long even after the sensor replacement, unless it is rarely used and kept as a collector.

The first sensor I replaced was about 4 or 5 years ago. I wrote about it on this forum. I have replaced almost 20 now and no-one has came back to say that the replacement sensor has failed. Also I have never heard of a D2 needing a 3rd sensor.

I am still using my D2 which I replaced the sensor in 2016.

Edited by corson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

What infos are that? Apart from the sensor issue, I have seen very little to nothing that would support this.

It's only about the sensor.  

I have talked to a couple of camera repairers about repairing the digilux 2 sensor. I was told they had seen digilux 2 dead the second times, still the sensor problem. 

How representative is this info is up to you. 

3 hours ago, corson said:

The first sensor I replaced was about 4 or 5 years ago. I wrote about it on this forum. I have replaced almost 20 now and no-one has came back to say that the replacement sensor has failed. Also I have never heard of a D2 needing a 3rd sensor.

I am still using my D2 which I replaced the sensor in 2016.

This is certainly encouraging. Are they all replaced by Sony 717 sensor? 

3 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

This is certainly encouraging. Are they all replaced by Sony 717 sensor? 

The last 3 sensors I used came from the Sony F717 from an Ebay seller called chip-tip in Hamburg at around €25. I ordered another 3 yesterday. Before that I used unmounted chips from various suppliers in China. I will not buy from them again. You can buy them unmounted from Tokyo at $380 American per unit. The Sony chip is part number ICX282AQ or ICX282FQ.

I re-sensored 3 LC1s in November and a D2 today.

I'm struggling to upload images here but the next post is a link for the F717 replacement and the post after that is the Leica sensor dismantled. It has my name on it.

Edited by corson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, corson said:

I had a couple of sensors that were supposed to replace the digilux 2. I took them to the camera repairers I knew but ended up gave up. The repairer could not verify if my sensor is defect free, and told me their experiences of the returned dead digilux 2. That ended my efforts to refurbish my Digilux 2. In fact, my dead digilux 2 was a second hand, the original owner claimed it had replaced the sensor.

Anyway, it's good to know there is still a reliable way to bring it back to life.

Just curious for many other people who are looking for the solution, what's the rough total cost to repair a digilux 2, assuming the issues is only the sensor? For example, in my case, the screen could still show some image, but it is shaking unstable and can go to dark screen. 

I am aware that my repairs are not failsafe. 

The seller in Hamburg is advertising his chips as "New" and gives a warranty of one year. He charges about €25 per unit. On top of that I pay a professional €25 to do the soldering for me. So the total cost is roughly €50. I do not want to lose these chips in the post so I make 2 trips to his workplace. About 2.5 hours. I can change the sensor in about 20 minutes.

So I think it is worth the effort to keep these cameras running.

Item specifics

Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is ... Read moreabout the condition
EAN: 4251178211897
Compatible Brand: Sony MPN: DSC-F717-3B01
Manufacturer warranty: 1 year Brand: Sony
Manufacturer: Sony
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, corson said:

I am aware that my repairs are not failsafe. 

The seller in Hamburg is advertising his chips as "New" and gives a warranty of one year. He charges about €25 per unit. On top of that I pay a professional €25 to do the soldering for me. So the total cost is roughly €50. I do not want to lose these chips in the post so I make 2 trips to his workplace. About 2.5 hours. I can change the sensor in about 20 minutes.

So I think it is worth the effort to keep these cameras running.

Item specifics

Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is ... Read moreabout the condition
EAN: 4251178211897
Compatible Brand: Sony MPN: DSC-F717-3B01
Manufacturer warranty: 1 year Brand: Sony
Manufacturer: Sony

I made a rough estimation. The cost would be material ($50) + labor ( $50/hr x 3 hours) + international round trip shipping ($50)~= $250.

I don't think it is fair to include shipping in the costs, as that will vary by country. For instance, within Europe it would be half, within Germany half again. 

In any case, I think that for an enthusiast, 150 to 200 Euro would be a fair price to revive such a camera. 

I agree with Jaap. 

The issue was with the original Sony sensors in the factory fresh D2s, and everything I since read suggests the newer version of the Sony chip is reliable.  I bought my D2 in  April 2004 and the sensor failed (initially an overpowering magenta cast) a few years later, but I was "in time" for Leica to still be making the repairs.  A few years later in Uganda or Rwanda the door covering the SD card broke (I did a field repair with medical adhesive tape), and later had that repaired by Leica.  When I traded the camera on another Leica about three years ago it was still functioning perfectly.

On 2/4/2020 at 5:24 AM, corson said:

I'm struggling to get images and words on to the same post. The foto above shows the Leica sensors at the top with the F717 replacement boards below.

Thanks, Corson, for bringing back the life of such legendary camera. It is also encouraging to hear many happy ending stories.

But I am still struggling to justify the cost. Not mean to against the repair, but I wonder if the cost is similar to a 2nd hand FZ1000, should I do it. (yeah, I know, only I can answer the question). It may make sense if the purpose is to keep this good old friend in healthy condition, regardless how often I am going to use it. 

11 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Thanks, Corson, for bringing back the life of such legendary camera. It is also encouraging to hear many happy ending stories.

But I am still struggling to justify the cost. Not mean to against the repair, but I wonder if the cost is similar to a 2nd hand FZ1000, should I do it. (yeah, I know, only I can answer the question). It may make sense if the purpose is to keep this good old friend in healthy condition, regardless how often I am going to use it. 

Thank you Einst_Stein. I have replaced the sensor in a lot of these cameras now and I'm really pleased to keep them going. I prefer to find non working cameras, repair them and sell on. I am now disinclined to offer a repair service. However if you are prepared to have a go yourself then I would send you a working sensor in exchange for cost price + your old sensor.

Here is what you have to do.

https://repairnotes.wordpress.com/2009/09/26/lc1-disassembly-guide/

• Like 1