Q2 or the CL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I have to admit my efforts with birds in flight were poor when compared to the DSLR brigade, but static photos were as good, if not better.  

The photos in this forum certainly show the amazing capability of the camera and the photographers, from extreme close ups to telephoto - your moon pics are brilliant.  Here are two more from bird set:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wow. The first image is very impressive. The second may also be, but the resolution of the forum may not show it fully sharp. Congrats. 
Yes, I’ve photographed a lot of birds in flight. It is challenging and fun. Definitely not a good subject for my Q2

• 11 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 12:43 PM, jonoslack said:

Hi there

Well, we’re just heading off to the (rainy) alps for a week skiing. 

I’m travelling light, and I have only the Q2 and the CL with the 55-135. Seems like a great combination!

I don’t really see the Q2 as a competitor of the CL , or vice versa come to that!

whatever, my CL kit is here to stay!

Hi, sorry to reply to an old post, but I am looking for a comparison between the IQ of the Q2 vs the CL, especially in combination with the 55-135. I have a Q2 and I am very happy with it, but sometimes I miss a bit more telephoto range. For that I currently use an xt3 with 50-140. That is also a crop sensor like the CL, but when I put the images of the Q2 and the fuji side by side, the fuji is disappointing. I understand that the CL is also a crop camera, but can you indicate whether it comes close to the Q2 in terms of image quality? I am addicted to the Leica look that I get from the camera. Ultimately, I mainly want a compact set for travel, so supplementing my Q2 with a CL (or hopefully upcoming CL2, I'm in no rush) along with a 55-135 would be an ideal compact set for me that I can do everything with.
Since you have exactly this set, I hope you can provide me with some information, many thanks!

I can answer that question as it has been addressed often before. The minor image quality difference between Leica APS-C cameras and full-frame ones is so small as to be irrelevant for all but the most specialized and critical photography.
However, when choosing between Q and CL you are choosing between two fundamentally different cameras: The Q2 is the best point-and-shoot on the market with an amazing fast wideangle lens and good cropping ability; the CL a compact, versatile and high-quality APS camera system with focal lengths from 11 to 400 mm L Alliance lenses (16-600 equ.)
In the Leica world,  it makes no sense to try and choose on basis of image quality, one must choose on basis of usage and preference.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 12:07 PM, nicci78 said:

Yes that’s right. Tough choice. Get both : same UI, so it is easy to use together. 

i've had the cl for over a year and love it and i just added a q2 and was delighted to find i could basically mirror the functions and operations.

oh, and the cl has the crop thing as well. put a full frame (m) 50 on it and it becomes (kindasorta) a 75 due to apc crop. but then you can 1.4x and 2.0x it from there.

/guy

Q2 provides three crops
1.25x + 1.79x + 2.68x 

CL provides two crops : 
1.25x + 1.79x. 
Be aware that you have to factor in the 1.5x crop factor of APS-C. 
So for exemple a Sigma 56mm f/1.4 will provide you an equivalent field of view and light flux of :
1x = 85mm f/2.1 
1.25x =105mm f/2.6 
1.79x = 150mm f/3.8

When using a zoom, the crop mode will only be available when fully zoomed in.