Q2 or the CL?

• 11 months later...

When the CL landed, I liked it and thought about getting it.  When the Q2 landed, I was bowled over.  I ended up getting the Q2 and am extremely pleased with it.

Some are leery of the Q2 because it has only one focal length, 28mm.  IMHO, that is not a drawback. 

The Q2 causes the photographer to think differently and to shoot differently.  It requires you to get close to your subjects to fill the frame.  Learning to reject the fear of getting close to other people to make frame filling images of them is a skill/discipline that will advance the quality and the visual impact of your images significantly. 

The shutter of the Q2 is whisper quiet - you can make photos literally at arm's length from your subject and they will not hear the shutter.  Henri Cartier-Bresson was known for his stealth approach to making images:  "A velvet hand, a hawk’s eye - these we should all have."  The Q2 is an outstanding camera for developing and maximizing this approach to image making.

The 28mm focal length is close to the 35mm in terms of field of view, making the Q2 an excellent choice for street, documentary, travel, landscape and day to day photography.  If you want to make prints, the 47 MP sensor will let you make very large prints with eye boggling image quality if you (and your print maker) each do your part. 

An ISO range of 50 to 50,000, a maximum aperture of f/1.7 and optical image stabilization will allow you to do a lot of low light shooting without needing to use a monopod or tripod.  A weight of 1.58 lb / 718 g for the Q2 with battery means you can carry it all day without feeling overloaded with gear.  And then there's the weather sealing for rainy days.

I enjoy shooting with my Q2 so much that I have hardly used my M-P 240 in the three months since I acquired the Q2.  The fixed 28mm lens challenges the photographer, but it also makes him/her more innovative and resourceful in the way he/she composes and frames their subject matter. 

I have come to regard the Q2 as the thinking man's camera.

That has been my experience with the Q2; YMMV.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

The Q2 is, I'm quite sure, a great camera. I have the Q and loved it...until I bought the CL. Now, I don't know what to do with the Q. It's only a spare on trips and I'll assuredly sell or trade it. The CL is just so much more fun to use in every way. The IQ of the Q tends to have a greater wow factor. But I've grown a bit tired of that wow, and mostly shoot manual lenses on the CL. So much prefer that IQ and the workings of the CL.

Case in point: tonight I took the CL to a college basketball game. I left my excellent TL 55-135 zoom at home and took my very old (needs a CLA) M 135 f/4, and shot an action event with manual focus. Missed a couple of shots, but loved every minute of it. I had to work hard to anticipate action, and therefore was far more into the game. # 31 is the very fine Princeton senior, Bella Alarie.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bags27
  • Like 4

Thank you all for these very nice reports. For me they are extremely useful as they go quite into detail on how you use either your Q2 (Q) or your CL with different lenses incl. manual focus M lenses. I would use M lenses on the CL as well and I believe I might buy only the 23mm 2.0 lens to start with the CL.

For a few months I am thinking about Q2 or CL (besides my M). My wife takes many photographs just with her iPhone 10 and she loves when the pictures immediately appear on the iPad in the Fotos-App. My wife wants to have something light and not necessarily a zoom. I imagine that I would personally use that new camera as well (😎) and that is why I would like it to match my needs as well. My needs are are actually the needs of my wife: Travel, towns, street, nature, family and kids. 

For all other situations and commissioned assignments (bigger events in halls) I would use my Canon 5D 4 gear and as I have not to walk  miles in that instance the higher  weight and size is then not an issue to me. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/8/2019 at 4:49 PM, nicci78 said:

Q2 is now a tri-Summilux-Q 1,7/28-35-50mm. 75mm for emergency. 

Honestly 50 and even worst 75mm frame lines are way too small, for proper composition and precise focusing. Making them hard to use properly or almost impossible with 75mm crop

I use my 50 and 75 frames all the time, I must have bought a faulty model.......

I agree entirely with your comments about what v2.0 has done to the right wheel button BTW, and have emailed Leica UK to that effect.!

• Like 1

Regardless of which camera you choose, make sure your wife knows that it will be impossible to instantly upload images from the camera to tablet and on to social media. The transfer rate from camera via Bluetooth to Leica app on a phone is painfully slow and erratic. You’re better off taking the memory card out of the camera and using a card reader attached to the tablet to transfer images. If you have a Q2 the transfer will be significantly longer...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Leica28 said:

So well said....took the words right out of my mouth.  I think the same way about my Q2.

+1. You said it very well. I would add that the battery, admittedly expensive, is a noticeable improvement over the Q and one can pretty much shoot all day on one charge. I carry an extra just in case. The V2 firmware also brings a very nice quick menu and consistency with other recent Leica cameras like the SL2. 

I have a Q2 and love it. I am also looking for a second camera, to cover a minority of applications where the Q2 is less than optimal. (While a lot of things about the Q2 exceeded my expectations, the crop modes are less useful than I thought they would be.)

I had a chance to use the SL2 and loved it, and am seriously considering getting a used SL, and one or two Sigma lenses to start.  But of course an SL kit can be very large and heavy compared to the Q and Q2, I'm not as young as I once was, and my main application is travel photography. So I am also looking at the CL, and in particularly the Summilux-TL 35 and the the 60mm macro. That would seem to be an idea complement to my Q2 for travel and some portrait work.

My main hesitation with the CL is that it seems that both the camera and the lenses haven't had an update in a while, and a lot of things that made their way into the Q2 (like the updated EVF) aren't in the current CL. In addition, the 35 TL is not an APO, and does suffer from more CA than I would expect from a very expensive Leica lens. Ideally I would rather wait and get a CL2 with a higher resolution viewfinder and some of the user interface improvements from the SL2 and Q2, and an APO version of the 35. Neither appears to be on the horizon right now.

(Yes, I know there is an APO 35 full frame lens in L-mount, but given its size and weight I'd rather use it on an SL-series body. The whole point of the TL lenses is their relative low bulk.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, danielmfrank said:

I have a Q2 and love it. I am also looking for a second camera, to cover a minority of applications where the Q2 is less than optimal. (While a lot of things about the Q2 exceeded my expectations, the crop modes are less useful than I thought they would be.)

I had a chance to use the SL2 and loved it, and am seriously considering getting a used SL, and one or two Sigma lenses to start.  But of course an SL kit can be very large and heavy compared to the Q and Q2, I'm not as young as I once was, and my main application is travel photography. So I am also looking at the CL, and in particularly the Summilux-TL 35 and the the 60mm macro. That would seem to be an idea complement to my Q2 for travel and some portrait work.

My main hesitation with the CL is that it seems that both the camera and the lenses haven't had an update in a while, and a lot of things that made their way into the Q2 (like the updated EVF) aren't in the current CL. In addition, the 35 TL is not an APO, and does suffer from more CA than I would expect from a very expensive Leica lens. Ideally I would rather wait and get a CL2 with a higher resolution viewfinder and some of the user interface improvements from the SL2 and Q2, and an APO version of the 35. Neither appears to be on the horizon right now.

(Yes, I know there is an APO 35 full frame lens in L-mount, but given its size and weight I'd rather use it on an SL-series body. The whole point of the TL lenses is their relative low bulk.)

New firmware was just released for the CL. 

I don't own the TL35, but I think it's one of Leica's most successful lenses, certainly on a cost-value basis. 

I don't own an SL2 (yet), but I found it far easier to handle and carry than the original SL. Admittedly, I didn't use L lenses much, preferring manual focus M lenses. The SL is selling at such a large discount to the SL2 that it is indeed very tempting. But it's just too unwieldy for me, whereas the slight restyling of the SL2 has made a very big difference. And, with the extra MPS, cropped sensor lenses display very well on it, the TL 35 and TL 60 being especially outstanding.

Just on the subject of Q2 cropping, here is a photo I took at a bird sanctuary.  The first is 28mm full frame, the second is a crop on the falcon.  I tend not to use the frame lines, just shoot at 28mm then decide later whether to crop and by how much.  I used the Q2 only for a couple of photos, but it was an interesting day lining up alongside the DSLR brigade with their huge 400-600 mm lenses!

• Like 9

I am probably one of the few Q2 owners who have no other camera to use.  For me, the Q2 is my everything camera.   I can always rent an SL2 or other camera/lens if the need should ever arise.  FYI, I rented a Q2 before buying one.   You never know when a photo opportunity will present itself and my Leica is small, lightweight, and powerful enough to bring it along everywhere.   Previously, I had used a Pentax K1 Mark II because I have a lot of Vivitar PK lenses from my film days.  While I loved my Pentax in every way possible (including the OVF), the Q2 was such a vastly different shooting experience and when coupled with the "just beyond" gorgeous imagery;  well, it was love at first sight.   No regrets.  Love the 28mm focal length.  In my film days in the middle 70's,  I shot with two lenses: a 28mm and a 135mm.  Of the two, 99 per cent of my shots were taken with the Vivitar Series 1 28mm, f/1.9.  So I feel "back home" with the Q2.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Just on the subject of Q2 cropping, here is a photo I took at a bird sanctuary.  The first is 28mm full frame, the second is a crop on the falcon.  I tend not to use the frame lines, just shoot at 28mm then decide later whether to crop and by how much.  I used the Q2 only for a couple of photos, but it was an interesting day lining up alongside the DSLR brigade with their huge 400-600 mm lenses!

Very nice. The resolution of the Q2 allows amazing crops. Beautiful Peregrine Falcon. Right? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Very nice. The resolution of the Q2 allows amazing crops. Beautiful Peregrine Falcon. Right? 

Yes, it's a Peregrine Falcon.  Here's another extreme Q2 crop of a Little Owl from the same day.  I used spot focus, which works very well.  

All my other photos were taken with M10-D and 90mm APO lens. This also caused much amusement amongst the other photographers, most of whom have never heard of a rangefinder camera, let alone one without a screen on the back.  The M10-D results were great.  It did make me smile, particularly when standing next to someone with army camouflage over his long lens!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Yes, it's a Peregrine Falcon.  Here's another extreme Q2 crop of a Little Owl from the same day.  I used spot focus, which works very well.  

All my other photos were taken with M10-D and 90mm APO lens. This also caused much amusement amongst the other photographers, most of whom have never heard of a rangefinder camera, let alone one without a screen on the back.  The M10-D results were great.  It did make me smile, particularly when standing next to someone with army camouflage over his long lens!

Fantastic! I confess to having been one of those “other” photographers with camouflaged big lenses. I still have that kit and when really wanting to take great shots, it’s my go to setup. I was totally ignorant for many years about Leica rangefinder and the CL / Q series. Now, I’m a convert. The Leica cameras, lenses and frankly this forum have added much to my photography enjoyment. Birds are particularly fun and challenging. Lots of diversity for sure. 

3 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Fantastic! I confess to having been one of those “other” photographers with camouflaged big lenses. I still have that kit and when really wanting to take great shots, it’s my go to setup. I was totally ignorant for many years about Leica rangefinder and the CL / Q series. Now, I’m a convert. The Leica cameras, lenses and frankly this forum have added much to my photography enjoyment. Birds are particularly fun and challenging. Lots of diversity for sure. 

I have to admit my efforts with birds in flight were poor when compared to the DSLR brigade, but static photos were as good, if not better.  

The photos in this forum certainly show the amazing capability of the camera and the photographers, from extreme close ups to telephoto - your moon pics are brilliant.  Here are two more from bird set:

• Like 10