Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think it's even a fair comparison at this point.

The Q2 has a professional build with superior IQ.  It's a camera for those that prefer to shoot mostly in the 28-35mm focal range. I'm sure most folks have a 2nd or 3rd camera when they need to shoot wider or longer. The only thing going for the CL is versatility to use existing Leica lenses. Lacks the tech (PDAF, IBIS, etc) and native lens selection (fast wide primes, fast zooms, long telephoto zoom) to compete with Sony/Fuji/Panasonic/Olympus.  It's one of the least versatile MILC's out there in that regard.  I owned one briefly but never understood the appeal of the CL thereafter.

Professional build? What nonsense is that? The Q2 failed the rain test in the LuLa review.  A completely meaningless marketing adjective. A professional tool is a tool used by a professional. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't see many fast primes, except for the 28, nor any native lens selection or any zoom or long lens for the Q.  The Q2 IQ is certainly not superior @ 50 or 75 mm, about equal @ 35 (which corresponds roughly to an APS sensor). What a weird bash.

These are totally different cameras, each excellent in their own niche. I prefer the CL, as I don't like fixed-lens point-and-shoots, no matter how sophisticated. You seem to like the Q. So what?

Kai W shot the Q2 in the rain and it worked fine, non-stop. I feel some reviewers are going to extremes trying to break the camera.

Agreed that these are two different cameras - the CL is very appealing given the flexibility to change lenses. I decided to pre-order the Q2 though - the rendering is just amazing and having owned a Q before, I know what I'm getting. I have a Sony A7RII with a few lenses when I need more of a flexible system.

You mean the 20 minute shower test? Try 20 seconds with the CL :rolleyes:

There's nothing that competes with the Q.  A full frame 47MP camera with a 28mm F1.7 lens, OIS, weather-sealing, pro capacity battery at around 700 grams.  The CL presents nothing new to the table. Just my opinion, sorry if you're offended.

I won't try that, as I am professional enough (albeit not specifically photographically) not to use any tool outside its limits. Having said that, the CL has never failed me in the rain, nor any other non-sealed camera, simply by taking a few sensible precautions. These machines are not made out of sugar. I'm not offended at all. I just call BS.

However, I agree that nothing competes with the Q at the  present moment in the fixed-lens point and shoot segment. Just wait a few months for the competition, though. That is the nature of the market.

If it was raining so heavily...I would be dancing, in the nude, soaked and laughing, loving it....here in Australia.

Without camera. 

How many pictures have we seen on the www taken in heavy rain???  I don't stand on hilltops with an umbrella in thunderstorms either.

I mean let's be sensible here. Do women go into thunderstorms to test their latest hairdressing...😲

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, actually I got pretty drenched when I took this one, a rivulet of water running off the brim of my hat into my neck: With the CL...🙄

vor 4 Stunden schrieb LocalHero1953:

I thought full frame was full plate 6.5 x 8.5 inches.
Why would anyone use anything smaller?

Barnack probably willbe able to tell you.

29 minutes ago, david strachan said:

Well, actually...😁

You're welcome to come dance naked - it was 8º C... :p

Posted (edited)

People who are happy with a single focal lens with 28 mm without possibilty to change the lens will be happy with a Q and should buy this. Other ones with want to change lenses, should buy a CL. And some like me own a SL and CL for different purposes. Everyone can find his favourite.And there is no reason to bring down one of the systems because one own this or the other. What counts at the end are your pictures and not the system you are using.

Edited by HeinzX

You are so right. CL can shoot photos that Q2 can only dream of. And vice versa. 

It is not the same style of camera. Nothing to compare actually.  

You can have both or only one of them. They will serve you well anyway. 

But one thing is sure. With the Q or Q2, you may need another camera. But with the CL can be your sole camera, just use any lens you need. 

And if you want the smallest system. CL with TL 2.8/18 or TL 2/23 will be smaller than the Q/Q2. 

So pick your poison  

14 hours ago, bags27 said:

very recently bought the CL to go with my beloved Q, and still very tentatively figuring it out, as I've been using manual focusing lenses with it until today (got the 18-56on ebay). Apples and oranges on the technical issues, as Nici78 lists.

SNIP

By the way, Jono Slack just bought the CL, as did the 3 elephants and a blind man guy--though Jono told me he's lusting for the Q2--as am I! So, I'm not trying to throw shade on the Q.

Hi there

Well, we’re just heading off to the (rainy) alps for a week skiing. 

I’m travelling light, and I have only the Q2 and the CL with the 55-135. Seems like a great combination!

I don’t really see the Q2 as a competitor of the CL , or vice versa come to that!

whatever, my CL kit is here to stay!

Kudos for Leica to make it easy to use their different cameras together  

For example:

Q2 and CL are sharing the same UI. 

Q2 and SL are sharing the same battery

Q and CL are sharing the same battery and almost the same UI  

M10 have almost the same UI as Q2 and CL. 

Etc... 

A friend of mine who has every Leica system available mentions this from experience:

"It is hard to fault the Leica CL as a travel camera .  Its very small and light ..yet with a 35 summilux is a well balanced package .  Its an excellent design and a fast and responsive system .   APS C provides greater DOF than FF ..so for travel its terrific .  

The system is set up to produce rich deep color saturation and its easy to create a stunning selection of images . 

For social media or web based sharing its excellent .  and it will certainly support decent sized reproduction in print . 

The Q of course now can produce 47MP FF captures which can support exhibition level image quality and large prints .  FF is also more forgiving than APS C and has greater dynamic range .  (this can be important if you want to shoot at higher ISO s like 1600+ .  )

I am not a fan of APS-C sized sensors but I have to admit the Leica CL is a great camera as are the Fuji X cameras .  Plus it will take most of the M lenses with an adapter. "   

Am 11.3.2019 um 15:30 schrieb algrove:
A friend of mine who has every Leica system available mentions this from experience:

"It is hard to fault the Leica CL as a travel camera .  Its very small and light ..yet with a 35 summilux is a well balanced package .  Its an excellent design and a fast and responsive system .   APS C provides greater DOF than FF ..so for travel its terrific .  

The system is set up to produce rich deep color saturation and its easy to create a stunning selection of images . 

For social media or web based sharing its excellent .  and it will certainly support decent sized reproduction in print . 

The Q of course now can produce 47MP FF captures which can support exhibition level image quality and large prints .  FF is also more forgiving than APS C and has greater dynamic range .  (this can be important if you want to shoot at higher ISO s like 1600+ .  )

I am not a fan of APS-C sized sensors but I have to admit the Leica CL is a great camera as are the Fuji X cameras .  Plus it will take most of the M lenses with an adapter. "   

I see, 24MP are no longer sufficient for large prints but for social media sharing only? What an utter nonsense!

On 3/12/2019 at 3:56 PM, Ecaton said:

I see, 24MP are no longer sufficient for large prints but for social media sharing only? What an utter nonsense!

24MP on a cropped sensor is not the same as 24MP on a FF sensor. Depends on the size prints you want to make and how much cropping you do before printing.

Am 8.3.2019 um 23:05 schrieb jaapv:

This remark is so 2009....

I rarely see any photos on the CL Thread which make me feel "great IO, what a Cam". The Q Photo Thread is full of those photos. From all I've seen I would never go for a CL.

I rarely if ever see good photographs on this forum that raise the slightest interest in which camera. I only see good photographers that transcend the technicalities.

If you have to relate the photograph to the camera IQ the image is usually rubbish. (to put it politely)

vor 6 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

I rarely if ever see good photographs on this forum that raise the slightest interest in which camera. I only see good photographers that transcend the technicalities.

If you have to relate the photograph to the camera IQ the image is usually rubbish. (to put it politely)

Sorry, that point goes to you. I was just wrong about that. (But I can't find a bunch of good CL photos).