Q2 or Q-P?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The title says it all!

It’s probably a no brainer at this point but I’d like to hear other people’s perspectives. Last night before bed I was literally about to buy a Q-P that was in EX+ condition. I decided to hold off and then this morning saw the Q2 has been released. I am on a few lists waiting for the Q2 now, but I really love the look of the Q-P still. It seems silly thought to go for 4+ year old technology however. 

Just wanted to to hear some other people’s opinions!

My opinion is that both the Q and Q2 cameras are for two different market/audience. The Q2 doesn't mean is better than the current Q/Q-P it just means you have another option to choose from the Leica line that fits to the type of photography that you personally do. Based on the what i've read and image samples that I've seen from the Q2 is not for me, am fine with the current Q

Edited by Hazesus
  • Like 1

I mean, I think you've answered your own question – the Q-P is now 4 year old technology. You always want the latest technology for your money – the slightly different aesthetics of the Q-P aren't worth it in comparison to camera with the latest tech.

Unless you're getting a super amazing deal on the Q-P or something. How much is it?

11 minutes ago, sls said:

I've done 990 x330 mm prints from my Q, who needs another 23m pixels? 

I've happily had professionally printed 990 x 760mm images from about 95% of the full file from my M240 (just minor cropping to balance/tidy the image being printed),

but there are times where I want to do the same sized prints but from a crop, so cutting a portion of the 47MP will be useful to me.

The improvements of the Q2 are what most owners of the original wanted. Personally I love the improvements they made ergonomically, like the lockable diopter setting, new power switch, and CL type dial. Those were annoyances with the Q1.

47MP, bigger battery, better EVF and weather-sealing is a nice added bonus 😆

• Like 2

Only make sense to me if  Q-P is justified by a very substantial  price difference or simply the Q-P look . 

Wonder , are  there anybody market  a  plain logo replacement plastic plug  for those who like to travel and shoot low-key in certain parts of the world. 

You'd have to be crazy to buy a Q-P new, if stealth bothers you then for $30-40 you can buy a black Leica badge and in 15 seconds you can swap it for the red one (I know because I did this on my Q).

Q2 is worth the premium for the weather-sealing alone, throw in the extra MP (not essential I agree), better battery life, better EVF as well as better resale and it's a no-brainer.

• Thanks 1

It really depends on your own personal photography needs. Do you need all the extra MP, this may slow your workflow down and will fill up your memory cards quicker, that said memory is cheap. If you crop a lot or print large then it's the Q2 but if you use the Q as a secondary camera then it may meet your personal needs. I personally would opt for the Q rather than QP as you will find them cheaper and you will loose less when reselling. 

For me, I don't get on with the "field Sequential EVF" on the Q and that alone would sway me to buy the Q2

The difference between a used Q and a QP could be £1000 - £1500.

Happy Hunting

Edited by Flyer
  • Thanks 1

Q2 obviously, no reason to already spend so much money, to not stretch a little bit more for Q2

Of course if Q-P is half the price, why not. If only 1000€ less, not worth it sorry. Even 1500€ less. 

Q2 is so much better in every way. just replace the red dot by a black one, to be discreet.

Sorry for Q-P buyer, you got played by Leica. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, marsbars said:

The title says it all!

It’s probably a no brainer at this point but I’d like to hear other people’s perspectives. Last night before bed I was literally about to buy a Q-P that was in EX+ condition. I decided to hold off and then this morning saw the Q2 has been released. I am on a few lists waiting for the Q2 now, but I really love the look of the Q-P still. It seems silly thought to go for 4+ year old technology however. 

Just wanted to to hear some other people’s opinions!

Your arguments for upgrading are largely based on 'appearance', quite different to the factors which influence me. Too subjective an argument to contribute on relative 'looks' of a camera. Ergonomics and performance influence me rather more.

47 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Q2 obviously, no reason to already spend so much money, to not stretch a little bit more for Q2. 

Of course if Q-P is half the price, why not. If only 1000€ less, not worth it sorry. Even 1500€ less. 

Q2 is so much better in every way. just replace the red dot by a black one, to be discreet.

Sorry for Q-P buyer, you got played by Leica. 

My Q-P arrived last Monday. Going back today.

Absolutely love the look of it...but cannot ignore Q2 pricing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, wda said:

Your arguments for upgrading are largely based on 'appearance', quite different to the factors which influence me. Too subjective an argument to contribute on relative 'looks' of a camera. Ergonomics and performance influence me rather more.

Held both at a local dealer - I felt Q-P was easier to handle (could be the matte coating) and definitely had classier ‘stealth’ look, which I really liked.  But at the end, opted for Q2 for the improvements (mainly OLED EVF - which for me was a huge improvement over the original Q’s EVF). 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Get the Q2 - without question.

There are several significant enhancements in the Q2 - and the 47mp sensor upgrade is a blockbuster.  So is the weather sealing.  Then there is the silent leaf shutter.  And the image stabilization.  I find it hard to say no to all those features, which is why I have a Q2 on the way.

As someone observed above, the red dot can easily be changed out for a black dot.

I have printed to 16x24 inches and 24x36 inches from my M-P 240's 24mp sensor.  The 16x24 size prints are bitingly sharp while the 24x36 are not quite as sharp but  still look fantastic - far and away better than any of my film based 35mm prints ever did.  With a 47mp sensor, the 24x36 size prints will look as sharp as the 16x24 size from my 24mp sensor.  That having been said, sharpness is not the be all and end all of printed image quality - but it is nice to have.  It makes the prints pop; it gives them a vividness that makes them look lifelike, almost three dimensional.  If you can have that at larger print sizes, why would you not want that vividness?

If you do not print and share your work electronically, 24mp is more than adequate.  The Q2 makes a compelling case for itself above and beyond the 47mp sensor, though.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

Wanted to buy Q2 but just couldn’t get my hands on it as it was simply not available when I needed it last July. So instead I bought a brand new Q-P for $2995 from a well known authorized dealer. While I do want weather sealing and other new features of Q2, for the difference in price, I’m more than happy with my Q-P.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, sskim said:

Wanted to buy Q2 but just couldn’t get my hands on it as it was simply not available when I needed it last July. So instead I bought a brand new Q-P for $2995 from a well known authorized dealer. While I do want weather sealing and other new features of Q2, for the difference in price, I’m more than happy with my Q-P.

If you are happy with your Q-P, that's all that matters - weather sealed or not. 😎

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sskim said:

Wow that's a tempting price. Is it brand new? In my Country the price diff is only $1000 which makes the Q2 still the best choice.