Q2 back button focus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I focus on granny’s nose and half press it locks the focus on granny’s nose. I can re compose and fire the shutter and granny’s nose is still in focus...........not a pretty sight but still in focus 😂😂😂😂😂

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, jonoslack said:

Hi There 

That’s what should happen, but it isn’t what does happen - the focus (or Exposure) is only removed from the shutter release While You Are Pressing the Zoom lock button. 

1 Example with static exposure point and Zoom Lock button set to AFL

2 point the cross at granny’s nose

3 press the zoom lock button to focus

4 Let go of the zoom lock button

5 point the cross at the tree out of the window

6 press the shutter and the camera will re-focus on the tree outside.

If in 4 you keep the zoom lock button pressed then focus will remain on Granny.

All the best

Jono

Does anyone know whether that behavior has changed to proper back button focus behavior? In other words, to

6) press the shutter and the camera will NOT re-focus and keeps the granny's nose in focus (given Ms Granny did not move around ...)

???

• 2 months later...

Better late than never?  I was curious as well and just read through this conversation.  On the new Q2M, I can use the back button for focus and do not need to hold it.

In the menu, set Customise Control, Zoom/Lock button to AF-L.  Then turn the focus ring to AF.  Press the back button and it focuses.  When I then half-press the shutter button, it does not refocus.  (It does close down the aperture and lock exposure, so it may seem to focus if you had set a narrow aperture...).  After taking a photo it will start afresh and if you don't focus with the back button, the shutter button will also trigger focus.

Finally, I noticed I may need to hold the back button for a moment until it establishes focus.  A very short press does not always work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, harmen said:

Better late than never?  I was curious as well and just read through this conversation.  On the new Q2M, I can use the back button for focus and do not need to hold it.

In the menu, set Customise Control, Zoom/Lock button to AF-L.  Then turn the focus ring to AF.  Press the back button and it focuses.  When I then half-press the shutter button, it does not refocus.  (It does close down the aperture and lock exposure, so it may seem to focus if you had set a narrow aperture...).  After taking a photo it will start afresh and if you don't focus with the back button, the shutter button will also trigger focus.

Finally, I noticed I may need to hold the back button for a moment until it establishes focus.  A very short press does not always work.

The implementation in Q2 and Q2M is not what is conventionally called BBF. BBF completely disables focusing via shutter and triggers AF every time the rear button is pressed. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, a very different experience from my Nikon, which I use exclusively underwater.  But, then, the Q is probably at its best in manual focus in such situations.  I find the finder just about good enough to focus without peaking or magnification.  I use it manually 95% of the time.  Not as fast as an M though.

4 hours ago, harmen said:

Yes, a very different experience from my Nikon, which I use exclusively underwater.  But, then, the Q is probably at its best in manual focus in such situations.  I find the finder just about good enough to focus without peaking or magnification.  I use it manually 95% of the time.  Not as fast as an M though.

The Q has proper BBF, IIRC. It is only the Q2 that has this BBF variant.

I find the Q2's BBF variant confusing and also use MF instead, which works really well both on Q and Q2.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SrMi said:

The Q has proper BBF, IIRC. It is only the Q2 that has this BBF variant.

I find the Q2's BBF variant confusing and also use MF instead, which works really well both on Q and Q2.

Is the functionally useless BBF on theQ2 intentional - or just sloppy programming ?
I find holding that tiny button in very difficult and don’t use it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RoySmith said:

Is the functionally useless BBF on theQ2 intentional - or just sloppy programming ?
I find holding that tiny button in very difficult and don’t use it.

I would say it is implemented as designed. You do not need to hold the button, one press locks the focus ... until you half-press/press the shutter. Yes the button is tiny, but it worked OK for me on Q.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SrMi said:

I would say it is implemented as designed. You do not need to hold the button, one press locks the focus ... until you half-press/press the shutter. Yes the button is tiny, but it worked OK for me on Q.

Unfortunately on the Q2, even with the latest software, this is not the case. Unless one keeps the back button pressed it refocuses when one presses the shutter button. It surprises me that this is not the case with the Q or the new Q2M

2 hours ago, RoySmith said:

Unfortunately on the Q2, even with the latest software, this is not the case. Unless one keeps the back button pressed it refocuses when one presses the shutter button. It surprises me that this is not the case with the Q or the new Q2M. 

My Q2 works the same as my Q2M. Assign AF-L to Zoom/Lock button, press once to lock focus. Pressing the shutter to take picture does not refocus, but it unlocks the focus.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/12/2020 at 5:40 PM, SrMi said:

My Q2 works the same as my Q2M. Assign AF-L to Zoom/Lock button, press once to lock focus. Pressing the shutter to take picture does not refocus, but it unlocks the focus.

Gosh, this is so confusing for this simple photographer.

So, Assign AF-L to Zoom/Lock button, press once to lock focus. Then the shutter button will not refocus  and the shot is taken with the pre selected focus point. Please tell me this is the case, as in any half decent back button focussing set-up.

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but for someone who has been considering buying a Q2 this has been a concern.

3 hours ago, keithlaban.co.uk said:

Gosh, this is so confusing for this simple photographer.

So, Assign AF-L to Zoom/Lock button, press once to lock focus. Then the shutter button will not refocus  and the shot is taken with the pre selected focus point. Please tell me this is the case, as in any half decent back button focussing set-up.

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but for someone who has been considering buying a Q2 this has been a concern.

When you assign AF-L to Zoom/Lock button, pressing the button will focus and lock focus until you take a picture. After taking a shot, the focus will be unlocked and activated via the shutter button unless locked again with the Zoom/Lock button.

With multiple shots, you have to lock the focus repeatedly. It is not the typical BBF behavior.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keithlaban.co.uk said:

Many thanks, SrMi.

So, no way to have typical BBF. This is so unfortunate and I'm afraid rules the Q2 out for this photographer.

I have been using BBF for many years, and have all my cameras set-up for BBF. The Q2's BBF situation is unfortunate, but Q2 and Q2M are still magnificent camera, and I enjoy using them. I was willing to adapt :).  BTW, they work very well with MF. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SrMi said:

I have been using BBF for many years, and have all my cameras set-up for BBF. The Q2's BBF situation is unfortunate, but Q2 and Q2M are still magnificent camera, and I enjoy using them. I was willing to adapt :).  BTW, they work very well with MF. 

Absolutely agree. I only use BBF on my DSLR’s and pro Mirrorless cameras. Frankly with the Q2 being a moderately wide angle focal length BBF is not very important. Definitely not a reason I’d reject owning the Q2. It’s a fantastic and fun camera in spite of BBF not being well implemented. 

• Like 1