Leica Q2 with 47 MP – Improved in all aspects

I've ordered the Sony 24mm 1.4 GM for use on the A9, and then hopefully A9II later this year...

Having seen examples, it might get me to re-evaluate the Q2 again, I don't see it losing it's place in my heart - but I'll be interested to see how they compare.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:23 PM, Ready Set Joe said:

The 'weather sealing' on my Q2 didn't enable it to last one day in the Sahara. No sandstorm, no dropping of the camera — just normal usage in the desert, with some sand naturally falling onto the camera. And now Leica say the warranty is void due to sand damage. So, so disappointing given the price and the advertising of weather sealing,

That is absolutely terrible. I have found that in asking for help with this kind of thing, it really matters whom you talk to at Leica. Some people at various officers are blockheads and some are terrific. It pays to be aggressive and ask in a lot of places.

In every way, Leica's weather sealing claim on the Q2 is problematic. With the original Q, they were faced with a situation that the sensor couldn't be cleaned by owners, so they addressed it by trying to seal the camera somewhat. The fault is Leica's when it launched the camera looking wet. Consumers took this to mean that it is sealed, not just somewhat protected. Since then, Leica's leaked some news, trying to qualify that impression. But in the end, the Q/Q2 just isn't a camera for all conditions. I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

Here is what I have noticed so far with my new Q2 in comparison to the original Q (which I still own for now)...

1) Build quality is a bit higher on the Q2 than it was on the Q.  Primarily, this is the replacement of the battery/SD card door on the bottom of the camera.  That and the added heft from the larger battery.  Everything else feels a little "tighter" as well, but that could just be because it's new and stiff. 

2) The lens cap is too loose on the Q2.  It was barely tight enough on my original Q and now it's even looser on the new one.  I suspect I will add a little double-sided tape under the existing felt to give it some additional bulk (or just use the cap from the Q).

3) While the rear LCD screen is physically larger on the Q2 than it was on the Q, the viewable area appears to be the same.  In other words, the larger screen just has more "border".  More glass, but no larger an image.

4) The improvement to the EVF, by contrast, is HUGE.  I always hated the EVF in the Q.  Didn't affect image quality, of course, but I just couldn't get comfortable with it.  My eye needed to be perfectly centered in order to avoid color fringing, and my eye was NEVER perfectly centered, so everything was always blurry.  Made it hard to judge manual focus accuracy without focus peaking/magnification.  In addition, the old viewfinder seemed too small for the screen, and the "matting" around the outside of the EVF was visible and annoying in low light.  The new viewfinder seems to have a bit more magnification, ample resolution, and the inside of the viewfinder is better matted/blackened so the view is just much better.  Don't underrate the improvement in the EVF--it's substantial.

5) I much prefer the "three button" layout on the back of the Q2.  There never was a need for a dedicated "delete" button, and the ISO button being moved to the top where it becomes a second "function" button is definitely a more flexible solution.  

6) The additional weatherproofing is much appreciated.

7) The lens is the same as far as I can tell.  

😎 The sensor seems good.  I haven't done any comparison yet in terms of high ISO or dynamic range or anything, but the additional resolution is useful for cropping.  I'm actually comfortable with it all the way to 75mm, so that means it is fine for travel, environmental portraits, and anything up to a head shot.  

9) I like the shutter release button more on the new Q.  Slightly higher collar around the outside means it is protected better from accidental pushes.  Minor but nice.  I also prefer the new diopter adjustment that is recessed and pops out for use.  More elegant and less likely to be knocked.

10) the rest seems to be about the same.  General handling and controls are similar.  Don't have enough time with it yet to judge AF accuracy, usefulness of the face detect, etc.  The "tracking" feature in the old Q was pretty poor--hopefully this one will be a touch better.  It's not a sports camera, of course, but I'd like it to reliably track a person walking towards me.  We'll see.

In general, a solid upgrade.

• Like 8

Ok so it's been over 3 months since I first took delivery of the Q2 and the honeymoon period is over.

Bottom line is that the improvements are real and very useful in some situations. With how I'm using the camera though, I'm not sure the benefits are worth the extra cost. I have the X1D (soon to be replaced by X1D II) which I use for my more considered photography, and Q2 is my "everyday reportage" camera. The battery is bigger but makes the camera noticeably heavier. I thought I'd crop a lot more with the extra resolution, but I'm mostly only cropping to the same (as Q1) 35-40mm-ish FOV. The ergonomics are slightly better but I could live with buttons of the original. 80% of my photos with the Q2 are casual stuff (ie friends, dog, food, etc) and I don't particularly appreciate the larger files either.

Part of the reason why I upgraded is because my Q was beaten up, and at the time I was considering replacing it with a Q-P.  So when the Q2 was announced, I was like "why not?" But now having used it for 3 months, I think the Q2 may be a bit of an overkill for my usage.

There still seems to be a long waiting list for the Q2, and I think I'd be able to recoup 90-95% of what I paid for it if I sell now. "Downgrading" to a slightly used Q-P, and coming out with 2,000 USD is suddenly starting to make a whole lot of sense. I will have to think about it a bit more, but that XCD 135/2.8 is calling my name and I could use some spare cash lol

Edited by Mr.Q
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, Jared said:

2) The lens cap is too loose on the Q2.  It was barely tight enough on my original Q and now it's even looser on the new one.  I suspect I will add a little double-sided tape under the existing felt to give it some additional bulk (or just use the cap from the Q).

Absolutely true on the loose lens cap... mine fell to concrete today (with a silent tear) and now the 1st chip exists... 🧐

20 minutes ago, Jared said:

Just the cap that fell, yes?  Not the camera?

🤓 yes just the cap...  but I swear it fell in slow motion (just like the movies/tv) as I yelled “Nooooooooooo!” until it reached the hard concrete.... 

I know the feeling.  The Q2 cap is loose enough that I am actually using the cap from my Q instead.  It has a ding in it in its own right--from when I dropped something on the cap, though for the life of me I can't remember what.  In any event, the cap from my Q fits more tightly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 9:16 AM, dancook said:

I've ordered the Sony 24mm 1.4 GM for use on the A9, and then hopefully A9II later this year...

Having seen examples, it might get me to re-evaluate the Q2 again, I don't see it losing it's place in my heart - but I'll be interested to see how they compare.

I have the Sony 24/1.4GM that I use on my A7iii, and I also have the Q2 (having sold the Q that I loved). For me the Sony is perfect for studio portraits and live stage work, and I especially appreciate the wider faster lens than the Q2. And of course the A7iii face/eye detect and AF in general (as you well know from your A9) is far superior to that of the Q/Q2/ See these images I recently shot using the Sony combo which, given the atrocious light wouldn't have been possible with the Q. https://brick.smugmug.com/Photography/2019-6-19-Terpsicorps-dress-rehearsal-samples/

That said, the Q2 is my go to camera for all else, reportage, street work, casual environmental portraits, travel, etc. In other words, these 2 cameras perfectly cover all my photographic needs.

• Like 1

beautiful photos 

14 minutes ago, brickftl said:

I have the Sony 24/1.4GM that I use on my A7iii, and I also have the Q2 (having sold the Q that I loved). For me the Sony is perfect for studio portraits and live stage work, and I especially appreciate the wider faster lens than the Q2. And of course the A7iii face/eye detect and AF in general (as you well know from your A9) is far superior to that of the Q/Q2/ See these images I recently shot using the Sony combo which, given the atrocious light wouldn't have been possible with the Q. https://brick.smugmug.com/Photography/2019-6-19-Terpsicorps-dress-rehearsal-samples/

That said, the Q2 is my go to camera for all else, reportage, street work, casual environmental portraits, travel, etc. In other words, these 2 cameras perfectly cover all my photographic needs.