LUF Admin

Leica Q2 with 47 MP – Improved in all aspects

I did not have the original Q but have been playing around with the Q2 for the last couple of days and the files are gorgeous, hard to fault it

On 3/9/2019 at 7:17 PM, #joachim said:

No, your old thumb rest will not fit perfectly. I've tried it.

See the picture below

Got my Q2 today and the first thing I did...

Pretty ghetto but works perfectly.

Edited by Mr.Q

More horrible, horrible, horrible things about the Q2. 😰 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4377829#forum-post-62468856

Seriously, while I'm not ready to say that I quite love the aesthetics produced by the larger sensor as much as by the Q Classic, that's a subjective response--and one I'll likely change over time. But pixel peeping is an inherently losing game. Buy the Q2 and love using it!

Edited by bags27

3 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Got my Q2 today and the first thing I did...

Pretty ghetto but works perfectly.

As was said at Nasa about John Aaron who made a critical decision to solve an electrical problem on Apollo 12 and 13, you sir are a Steely-Eyed Missile Man. I love your modification and will probably do exactly the same on mine. Any advice on technique is appreciated. 

There's really not much to it . I grinded it with a belt sander and matched the curve to the thumb indent of the Q2. Was a 3 minute job. You could do the same with sandpaper but it would take more time, obviously.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb bags27:

More horrible, horrible, horrible things about the Q2. 😰 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4377829#forum-post-62468856

Seriously, while I'm not ready to say that I quite love the aesthetics produced by the larger sensor as much as by the Q Classic, that's a subjective response--and one I'll likely change over time. But pixel peeping is an inherently losing game. Buy the Q2 and love using it!

The noise charts are here to stay, I'm afraid, because of the way the ISO is measured. Can you imagine the SL2 with noise graphs like these? People will be all over Leica. But as you rightly point out, they don't tell the whole story. It's the way the light is captured, the files processed, and the effect this creates in the final image that matter. Provided that noise levels are acceptable, and files are malleable, i.e. Highlight detail can be recovered easily where necessary without creating an artificial effect. I'm in the process of posting some pictures, S1 vs. SL at one stop higher ISO for the S1 to match exposure on the L-mount board.