Leica Q2 with 47 MP – Improved in all aspects

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 58 Minuten schrieb tobenama:

I'm not bashing the Q2, it's an excellent camera and better in many ways compared to Q, which was also an excellent camera. It's just that I hope Leica does not put resolution as their next high priority development for M-series. Expecting to nail focus with Noctilux at 47 megapixels? Good luck. There is a lot that can be improved in M10-P before the question of resolution comes to my mind.

The problem is rather that Leica is of course dependent on third parties for sensor development and that there is also a trend towards more megapixels among other manufacturers. If there is a new 24MP sensor available on the market (from Panasonic/TowerJazz?), Leica may well use it in the M10. On the other hand, it is a question of marketing whether in 2019 a camera with 24MP can be justified for 7000€ and more.

Just read this in the manual. No reviewer did notice this (because they didn't have a manual I guess, and the app isn't updated yet):

"GPS data will be automatically determined and written to the Exif data when pictures are taken while the camera is connected to the Leica FOTOS app."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tom. said:

Just read this in the manual. No reviewer did notice this (because they didn't have a manual I guess, and the app isn't updated yet):

"GPS data will be automatically determined and written to the Exif data when pictures are taken while the camera is connected to the Leica FOTOS app."

Yes—and, what's more, you can use Bluetooth for the connection so it will work when you're out and about and far from any wifi network.

7 hours ago, Tom. said:

Leica Q2 is the first Leica camera with Bluetooth, AFAIK. IMO, geotagging is the most interesting aspect of Bluetooth enabled cameras. I hope that the updated FOTOS app will allow for customized location precision settings (frequent updates vs low power consumption).

Another thing I like, after reading the manual, is this. Instead of the old 3 bars:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, SpartanWaveDave said:

Tamarkin Camera (my local dealer in Chicago) has a waiting list of 30 people already.  This is a really appealing camera to me.  Can't think of anything they missed on this. 

I was in Chicago over the launch period and made a trip to Tamarkin (great store btw) but was a little disappointed that they had no demo model - it seemed a bit poor on Leica’s part not to get units to US dealers for the announcement....

All good however as the next day (after Dan had brought in a huge box) and some finger-crossing over UK credit card payment approvals I was able to walk out with the opposite(?) of the Q2....😀

• Like 5

17 hours ago, NigelG said:

I was in Chicago over the launch period and made a trip to Tamarkin (great store btw) but was a little disappointed that they had no demo model - it seemed a bit poor on Leica’s part not to get units to US dealers for the announcement....

All good however as the next day (after Dan had brought in a huge box) and some finger-crossing over UK credit card payment approvals I was able to walk out with the opposite(?) of the Q2....😀

Absolutely gorgeous. Forgive my limited Leica pedigree, what model is that? The resemblance to the Q and Q2 is stunning. 

I just looked at some other views on B&H. This is one of the most beautiful cameras I’ve ever seen. IMHO. 

Edited by iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy)

M Edition 60....

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, Stonkin said:

From 1st Press reviews, the Q2 does appear to be a technical improvement over the Q, though I'm sure we all agree that the Q is still excellent and will last fore many more years to come.

Images from my Q knock the spots off it's predecessor - the Fujifilm X100F - but the Q's use as a travel camera is, in my opinion, limited by the lack of USB charging. In this respect, the Q2 continues this GLARING ERROR - even more so as it has added weather resistance. OK, the new (SL) battery has a slightly larger capacity, but the convenience of USB charging whilst on the move cannot be overlooked. Shame on you, Leica.

It doesn't matter to me, though. I'll happily continue with the Q for many years to come and (hopefully) there'll be a few useful firmware upgrades along the way. (If I had another £4k to spend, it'd almost certainly be a Fujifilm GFX50R and a wide lens) 

I'd just buy extra batteries that are charged, a portable charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter either would work you don't need USB it's one more port to break or get water into. I love Leica simplicity no error

Edited by Photoman61
  • Like 1

vor 21 Stunden schrieb NigelG:

If he came with a "huge box" I assume the M Edition 60 35Lux and leather case & strap where included as well?

41 minutes ago, Ecaton said:

If he came with a "huge box" I assume the M Edition 60 35Lux and leather case & strap where included as well?

Well it would have been larger than my 1 carry-on bag allowance......

No I just bought the body + case/strap + charger etc etc. I shoot 50/28 rather than 35 so I had been hoping for a chance to buy body-only. Serendipity that I happened to mention it on my first visit to the store and he had one hiding away 😀

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 4:40 AM, NigelG said:

Now you JUST have to track down that matching 35 Lux...You won't be able to resist. This is a very pretty camera.

You long-time Leica-philes can skip the following because it's targeted at us 'first-timers':

Ignoring my Leica slide projector (which I bought new YEARS ago and about which I don't remember much) and my vintage M3 and 50mm f/2 DR Summicron (which I bought used and mostly just admire), the Q2 is my first real entry into the world of Leica photography.  Today, the Q2 arrived...

- Impeccable and classy packaging--surpasses even Apple Corp's sleek designs

- Breathtakingly elegant camera, itself--exquisite in simplicity and beauty in every way imaginable

- Significantly smaller than I expected (after seeing the published photos), but handles wonderfully and cradles perfectly in my hands for smooth and seamless shooting

- Not only "an extension of my eye," as HCB stated, but an extension of my being--an enthusiast's and artist's dream

I suspect you other first-timers will be equally enthralled--at least I hope you are.  This must be part of the Leica appeal and why they have such a devoted following. Now that I have drunk the Kool-Aid, I guess I am becoming part of that crowd.  Heading out now to play...

• Like 9

On 3/12/2019 at 1:40 AM, NigelG said:

Congrats! So beautiful. 

I played with the Q2 for an hour or so today in the LA store. I took my Q with me and did some side-by side shots. Looking at them tonight, and after using the camera, I won’t be upgrading.

The new Q feels great, as it’s just like the old Q. The reduced  buttons on the back is nice, like the M10. The dial and button on the top is good, they had it set to ISO in the store and it worked well.

Its silent! I thought the original Q was quiet, it’s really quiet. The new EVF didn’t seem much of a difference.

The 35 and 50mm crops work well. I never really used this on the original Q. Just cropped later if needed.

The files are massive, and slow. On my latest MacBook, it took 3-4 times longer to show the 1:1 view in Lightroom. On my iMac it was better, but a big difference in editing speed. If you have an older computer, get ready for a lot of waiting! I can see neededing a better laptop with the 47 megapixels. So it gets even more expensive to upgrade if you are buying a camera and computer. ☹️

My feeling is if you have a Q and want weather sealing, and like to shoot 35 or 50mm a lot, it’s a good update, but for me having an M as well with a 35mm and 50mm lenses, and I’ve already shot in rain and snow with both the M and Q with no real worries, it’s not something I feel the need to purchase.

The SL2 or a monochrome M10 is more likely where my money will go. And more lenses. And more travel. 😉

• Like 3