Leica Q2 with 47 MP – Improved in all aspects

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, likealot said:

It made me laugh when i got the official Leica email announcing the Q2. The header said " Leica Q2 - Accept Nothing but Perfection". Does that mean that we accepted imperfection when we bought Leica Q? Since it lacked weather sealing, etc?

I agree, it always makesme laugh when Morrisons sell their best range. To me that insunates all their other food is garbage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pwillettsjr said:

Will the Leica Q accessories fit the Leica Q2? Screw on right hand grip? Holster? Thumb rest? 

Philo Willetts

• Q Handgrip is compatible with Q2.
  • New thumb rest with very smart design
  • new leather case easier to remove with D-ring. You can use Q one, but battery is different, so you will not be able do remove it through the hole
  • same holster
Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pico said:

Now why would Leica make such an accessory? It makes no sense.

They could have altered the form of the camera altogether to incorporate something similar, thumb rests have been used successfully from thousands of people and there is obviously an improvement on camera grip. It seems though they are trying their best to improve upon Vincent Laine's creation but they also don't want to alter too much the camera's iconic design. So it makes sense to me to release an official accessory..

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zampelis said:

They could have altered the form of the camera altogether to incorporate something similar, thumb rests have been used successfully from thousands of people and there is obviously an improvement on camera grip. It seems though they are trying their best to improve upon Vincent Laine's creation but they also don't want to alter too much the camera's iconic design. So it makes sense to me to release an official accessory..

Dimitris, your "months of colors" website is brilliant! I mourn that there can be no January or February until they fix your camera. We so much miss you here!

5 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Dimitris, your "months of colors" website is brilliant! I mourn that there can be no January or February until they fix your camera. We so much miss you here!

+1. I could not have said it better. The Q thread on this forum is less without your image submissions and insightful posts. I can hope that Leica service returns your Q in perfect condition and you can return to having fun taking really creative and interesting photos. Q ON Demitris! 

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

VERY cool international forum and dialogue you all have going on here!  I thought 'love' was the international language, but it seems that should be 'love of the Leica' instead...

Ordered the Q2 yesterday as soon as it posted on B&H--my first venture in the world of Leica--and very much looking forward to the journey as well as joining your conversation.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pico said:

Now why would Leica make such an accessory? It makes no sense.

I think the Position of the Button makes sense,  distance is very close to the thumb, also when using the thumb rest.

i think the best will be to try it.

we will see 😉

The Q was a lovely camera, the Q2 does take it a level above. 

Personally, I appreciate the weather sealing, same batteries as the SL and the higher mega pickle sensor that allows 75mm cropping. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, nicci78 said:
  • Q Handgrip is compatible with Q2.
  • New thumb rest with very smart design
  • new leather case easier to remove with D-ring. You can use Q one, but battery is different, so you will not be able do remove it through the hole
  • same holster

Thank you.

20 hours ago, nariza7 said:

will the old thumb rest still fit well?

No, your old thumb rest will not fit perfectly. I've tried it.

See the picture below

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 3

On 3/7/2019 at 10:05 AM, SonomaBear said:

I never noticed any of this. Maybe I am blessed...

the ONLY time i noticed it was before the camera profiles were added to the non-adobe LR application i was using at the time..  i then switched to LR and the vignetting and distortion was a thing of the past. . .  perhaps the poster is using an non-supported application (or one that has not been updated).

I took a look at the DNG files provided on DPReviews gallery, in order to see how strong the software distortion correction is.  It's about 5%, looking at the coefficients that describe the image transformation in the WarpRectangular metadata parameters. An interesting point, is that the R, G, and B transformations are almost exactly the same, indicating that lateral Chromatic corrections have been handled optically.

Sean Reid's review shows what this looks like.  I used Capture One to track the transformation.  Barrel distortion means that the lens captures a bit more than is claimed.  If you leave the distortion in (say, for a landscape with no straight lines to be concerned about), you can have a 51.6 MPx image just by squaring off the edges of the frame.  Adobe standard procedure is to crop to 47 MPx.

• Thanks 2

On 3/8/2019 at 2:42 AM, sls said:

Still love my Q, but for how long?!! 

Personally i will love it until they bring out the Q3 or Q4 😁. I see no reason to change (at least for my needs). The 24Mp sensor is quite enough for me, the weather sealing doesnt bother me much and the LCD screen is big enough and clear enough. Apart from that there's nothing else. In fact I find the Q visually more pleasing than the Q2, particularly the Leica writing on the top plate. 

I have changed enough cameras in my lifetime to have learned the hard way the lesson that I was given by a wise photographer in one of the forums. When everyone was rushing to trade in their Nikons for the latest and greatest this guy posted some pictures (beautiful ones) that his elderly father had taken with a basic D40. These pictures put quite a lot of the other owners in the forum (with their latest and greatest Nikons) to shame. Moral of the story, it's the skills and not the megapixels. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Exactly where does one need 47 megapixels except for cropping on this fixed lens camera - a perfectly understandable decision considering one can't change the lens? That's 50% more than in the previous generation. The jump from M9 to M Typ 240 was in the same category (slightly less than 50%) and the extra resolution cannot be noticed unless one looks at photo dimensions. M9 problem was not resolution, nor limited high iso capabilities, it was general slowness and batteries that die after 10 photos in the cold. I hope that the next generation M is not just a sensor resolution upgrade, but a real (as in easy to see without pixel peeping) upgrade in quality. Changes in ergonomics, viewfinders, speed, shutter sound etc. are welcome, but ultimately what you get are the photos. 

I'm not bashing the Q2, it's an excellent camera and better in many ways compared to Q, which was also an excellent camera. It's just that I hope Leica does not put resolution as their next high priority development for M-series. Expecting to nail focus with Noctilux at 47 megapixels? Good luck. There is a lot that can be improved in M10-P before the question of resolution comes to my mind.

• Like 1