LUF Admin

Leica Q2 with 47 MP – Improved in all aspects

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, robertdecastro said:

One thing I didn’t realise is that all the accessories are different apparently, although some of the Q ones will fit. The screen is much larger though so I had to get a temporary cut to size one for now. They only had the camera in the Mayfair store and I was told the accessories will follow a little later.

You can use the Leica M10 display protection foil. It has exactly the same size. No need to wait for a dedicated Q2 protection foil.

Edited by #joachim

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pico said:

Leica has a detachable thumb rest if the indented style does not work for you.

the Leica thumb rest has a button to maintain the function of the crop-button, which will be covered by the tumb rest.

Edited by #joachim

2 minutes ago, #joachim said:

the Leica thumb rest has a button to maintain the function of the crop-button, which will be covered by the tumb rest.

Now why would Leica make such an accessory? It makes no sense.

4 hours ago, Stonkin said:

From 1st Press reviews, the Q2 does appear to be a technical improvement over the Q, though I'm sure we all agree that the Q is still excellent and will last fore many more years to come.

Images from my Q knock the spots off it's predecessor - the Fujifilm X100F - but the Q's use as a travel camera is, in my opinion, limited by the lack of USB charging. In this respect, the Q2 continues this GLARING ERROR - even more so as it has added weather resistance. OK, the new (SL) battery has a slightly larger capacity, but the convenience of USB charging whilst on the move cannot be overlooked. Shame on you, Leica.

It doesn't matter to me, though. I'll happily continue with the Q for many years to come and (hopefully) there'll be a few useful firmware upgrades along the way. (If I had another £4k to spend, it'd almost certainly be a Fujifilm GFX50R and a wide lens) 

The Nitecore ULSL battery charger works very well, is small, and uses USB to charge SL batteries. Check it out  here.

2 hours ago, Belle123 said:

When is a new M coming out with 47mp sensor?  I think will save my pennies for that since already have a Q.  Certainly it must be around the corner?  Glad skipped the M10 now.....

November 2020 at the earliest. 

1 hour ago, #joachim said:

You can use the Leica M10 display protection foil. It has exactly the same size. No need to wait for a dedicated Q2 protection foil.

Great. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, pico said:

No idea why, but the pic I see of their Thumb Rest is nice and it will be easier to access the crop button. 

Leica Store Bellevue received an unknown number of Q2's earlier this week.

At least one of them is sold, to me.

Unfortunately, I can't get there to pick it up until next Thursday.

2 hours ago, Alex U. said:

With a 47MP M10 I would just need a 28mm lens. Imagine how damaging this would be for Leica‘s business.

Why would it? The M and Q are still different products that satisfy different segments, with significant features between them and different price brackets.  The M will certainly get the 47Mp, it's the natural path of progression.

2 hours ago, FredericB said:

They should have named it Qs instead of Q2. ;)

It's not just a change of colour or badge. There are substantial changes to justify Q2 name.

1 hour ago, pico said:

They probably noticed the success of the ThumbsUp and thought to make some extra money. At least they improved it.

1 hour ago, hillavoider said:

As usual we get screwed in Australia - $7700 AUD or $5450 USD

I don't think so. The Australian price includes 10% GST, I believe the American price is ex-tax. So at current exchange rates the cost is almost identical.

25 minutes ago, macalba said:

I don't think so. The Australian price includes 10% GST, I believe the American price is ex-tax. So at current exchange rates the cost is almost identical.

Correct.

Leica had an event in Tokyo yesterday..some nice pics coming out on flickr from people who were there..including pics shot with the q2

10 hours ago, likealot said:

It made me laugh when i got the official Leica email announcing the Q2. The header said " Leica Q2 - Accept Nothing but Perfection". Does that mean that we accepted imperfection when we bought Leica Q? Since it lacked weather sealing, etc?

Still love my Q, but for how long?!! 

3 hours ago, Jay B said:

Leica Store Bellevue received an unknown number of Q2's earlier this week.

At least one of them is sold, to me.

Unfortunately, I can't get there to pick it up until next Thursday.

No worries, I will run by and pick it up for you.😉

4 hours ago, Leicaiste said:

And we will have to wait two more years for the Q2P without the ugly red dot.

😉

More like 3.5 years – Q was June 2015 and Q-P was Nov 2018 :)