Leica Q2 with 47 MP – Improved in all aspects

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/9/2019 at 12:12 AM, Arek Malarz said:

Hi all, 

I just got my Leica Q2, actually it's the first Leica camera I own and have to say that switching from Fuji X-T3 I'm simply blown away by the results I get. 

I have one question though, the live exposure preview seems to be only working when in full manual mode (menu is set up to P-A-S-M for the exposure preview). As soon as I I set my ISO to Auto mode, I immediately lose ability to change it. Is there anything I can do about it? I guess that's the only thing I really miss when switching over from Fuji...

Thank you

Hi Arek, 

Sorry to be off topic but can you explain more your experiences of moving from the XT3 to the Q2? I'm asking because I have a Fuji XT1 and thinking of upgrading to the XT3 or Q2? I don't know how to post process so not sure if the 47MP would benefit me. I am using a 23mm F1.4 on my XT1 most of the time. This is mainly going to be used for travel, landscape, street, and documenting my children type of camera. Thank you I've been learning a lot from this forum. 

1 minute ago, Marley said:

Hi Arek, 

Sorry to be off topic but can you explain more your experiences of moving from the XT3 to the Q2? I'm asking because I have a Fuji XT1 and thinking of upgrading to the XT3 or Q2? I don't know how to post process so not sure if the 47MP would benefit me. I am using a 23mm F1.4 on my XT1 most of the time. This is mainly going to be used for travel, landscape, street, and documenting my children type of camera. Thank you I've been learning a lot from this forum. 

For your purposes, 47 MP would be overkill. Go for the XT-3. Or consider the Leica CL with the 23mm lens.

42 minutes ago, Marley said:

Hi Arek, 

Yeah definitely go for the Fuji. Their film simulations will yield the best OOC results for JPEGs.

Or learn how to post-process and get the Q2 😀 Honestly it's not as hard as you think. All it takes is moving some sliders right and left.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Viv said:

For your purposes, 47 MP would be overkill. Go for the XT-3. Or consider the Leica CL with the 23mm lens.

Thanks for the reply Viv. How come it would be an overkill? I have read a lot of Q2 users use this for travel and documentary purposes. I am just worried about the post process workflow coming from plain JPG user but I am willing to learn. My goal is to be able to make albums of our family travel and make a compilation of it. 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

Yeah definitely go for the Fuji. Their film simulations will yield the best OOC results for JPEGs.

Or learn how to post-process and get the Q2 😀 Honestly it's not as hard as you think. All it takes is moving some sliders right and left.

So you mean in order to maximize the Q2 one should learn to post process and shoot in RAW? What software can you recommend? Lightroom? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Marley said:

Thanks for the reply Viv. How come it would be an overkill? I have read a lot of Q2 users use this for travel and documentary purposes. I am just worried about the post process workflow coming from plain JPG user but I am willing to learn. My goal is to be able to make albums of our family travel and make a compilation of it. 

Because the main advantage of 47 MP is the ability to crop severely or to make very large prints.

The 24 MP files from the original Q are more than good enough for A3 sized prints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Marley said:

So you mean in order to maximize the Q2 one should learn to post process and shoot in RAW? What software can you recommend? Lightroom? 

To maximize any camera you need to shoot RAW. It will seperate your images from iPhone images.

And yes, I suggest Lightroom for the Q2.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 10:25 PM, Viv said:

Because the main advantage of 47 MP is the ability to crop severely or to make very large prints.

The 24 MP files from the original Q are more than good enough for A3 sized prints.

You have a point but this is going to be my first Leica so getting the Q2 would be a more logical choice. I also prefer the weather sealing, bigger battery and OLED EVF of the Q2

2 hours ago, Marley said:

You have a point but this is going to be my first Leica so getting the Q2 would be a more logical choice. I also prefer the weather sealing, bigger battery and OLED EVF of the Q2. 

Fair enough.

On 10/21/2019 at 6:51 PM, Marley said:

You have a point but this is going to be my first Leica so getting the Q2 would be a more logical choice. I also prefer the weather sealing, bigger battery and OLED EVF of the Q2. 

If you want to buy brand new Leica. Of course Q2 is the obvious choice. 47MP are really nice. Only issues of Q2 are that it is a tad slower than Q and its face detect AF is bad. But the later will be fixed soon. 

Do not buy slightly discounted Q or Q-P the savings do not overcome all Q2 advantages. 

Of course if you have a Q, Q2 is not necessarily a logical choice. The improvements do not worth the 2500€ needed for upgrade. 

Unless you are using an iMac 5K, go for Q2.

If you are only working with laptop, even retina macbook pro, you do not need 47MP.

If you print a lot at moderate to large size. You will see the benefit of 47MP. 

Don't get fooled by marketing. 75mm crop is pretty useless due to über small frame lines and inadequate AF box size. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Q2 is on order and should arrive this week.

I'm STOKED as this is my first Leica.

Is there a good thread here of all the best straps available? I'm already hunting for the best accessories and the strap is priority #1!

Also - how is the paint job holding up? I handled the Q-P in store and LOVE the feel but the OLED EVF and just newer tech drove me to the Q2. Does anyone's get oily and ugly from frequent use?

Edited by LordCho
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Posted earlier on the Barnack November Challenge. Waxing Gibbous (64.5%) moon, Leica Q2, 1/30, f/5.6, ISO 100, attached to a Swarovski ATS-80 Spotting Scope using the Leica Q Digiscoping adapter. On tripod. I tried to use the Digiscoping mode, but it automatically sets the ISO at 400 and I did not want that so I went strictly with a 3-shot bracketed exposure, manual focus, using focus peaking which worked well. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Fantastic, Dan--I love it.  Once again you're pushing the limits--at least in my own mind--of the capabilities and uses of this wonderful camera.  You use it to magnificent success in ways I would have never imagined.  Thanks so much for posting!

- Scott

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 6.11.2019 um 05:54 schrieb Leica Guy:

Posted earlier on the Barnack November Challenge. Waxing Gibbous (64.5%) moon, Leica Q2, 1/30, f/5.6, ISO 100, attached to a Swarovski ATS-80 Spotting Scope using the Leica Q Digiscoping adapter. On tripod. I tried to use the Digiscoping mode, but it automatically sets the ISO at 400 and I did not want that so I went strictly with a 3-shot bracketed exposure, manual focus, using focus peaking which worked well. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Absolutely marvellous! Thank you for showing us what's possible with this camera. That is really an amazing result!

• Thanks 1