Leica Q2 with 47 MP – Improved in all aspects

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Q2 as a second shooter at a wedding yesterday, had a 70-200 strung over my shoulder but didn't use it and ditched it later

There were a lot of people, took 4380 photos... 350gb of raw! Which was a little problematic for my friend who was taking copies at the end of the night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got to play with the Q2 today and, though it has been a while since I parted with its predecessor, I was really struck by the EVF.   It seems to be an overlooked improvement in the various write ups but (to my eyes at least) the magnification and eye relief seemed to be a significant upgrade over the original Q.

As a glasses wearer I never much liked the Q’s EVF. There was a sense of tunnel vision, it felt cramped, boxed in and distant. The Q2’s EVF on the other hand reminded me much more of the SL’s (what a dream it’d be to have this EVF in a smaller M mount body).

The Q2 is clearly a lovely refinement on the mk1 in most regards. Even little design tweaks struck me as appreciable. It’s very tempting to go back to one, though I am possibly distracted by the discount/trade in offer on the SL at the moment. In all honesty I am happy to wait until they are more readily available towards the end of the year, and I’d be better served having time on my side to be sure I can optimally transfer and store such latge image files.

I do think I could quite happily part with my M10-p for an SL/Q2 combo at this point. Both are uniquely versatile tools whilst retaining Leica’s design sense of distraction free minimalism that appeals to me so much (and I’d never part with my M2).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 3:13 AM, dancook said:

I used the Q2 as a second shooter at a wedding yesterday, had a 70-200 strung over my shoulder but didn't use it and ditched it later

There were a lot of people, took 4380 photos... 350gb of raw! Which was a little problematic for my friend who was taking copies at the end of the night.

[newbie post warning!]

How do you find the 28mm for portraits? Even with the cropping capability of the Q2, I’m surprised you don’t revert to the zoom for more flattering close ups.

paul

4 hours ago, paul.bridges.3388 said:

[newbie post warning!]

How do you find the 28mm for portraits? Even with the cropping capability of the Q2, I’m surprised you don’t revert to the zoom for more flattering close ups.

paul

I second shot with the 28mm, I can't say i'm  ready to shoot weddings alone with just the 28mm and I'll probably revert back to 35mm and 85mm primes on the A9 for file sizes alone.

Second reason is that perhaps it is nice to intersperse longer focal length images, even though alone they have little context - and I'm probably going over board with every image must have context and a story else it's crap. 

Also I shot 35mm and 85mm for an event Friday night and was pretty happy the set as a whole - I've put a handful of photos on my site here  - a site which I'm in the middle of redesigning - so links won't go to the right places... https://danielcook.com/event-photography/ - it's renewed my enthusiasm for using the Sony to get the job done.

New home page under construction, best viewed on computer :) https://danielcook.com/test/

and 28mm on portraits.. well I've done some good portraits with 28mm but not weddings ones, where I kept to environment portraits with the bride and groom

Edited by dancook
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 11:30 PM, hillavoider said:

As usual we get screwed in Australia - 7700 AUD or $5450 USD

In Portugal too: 4900€ or 5527$USD  at todays rate

Edited by Lucena

On 3/8/2019 at 5:36 AM, Pwillettsjr said:

Will the Leica Q accessories fit the Leica Q2? Screw on right hand grip? Holster? Thumb rest? 

Philo Willetts

I've stolen the thumbs up from my Q, it does not fit perfectly but I can manage... while waiting for the Q2's one I ordered....

On 3/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, nariza7 said:

will the old thumb rest still fit well?

Not perfectly but can manage

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Lucena
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, likealot said:

I have changed enough cameras in my lifetime to have learned the hard way the lesson that I was given by a wise photographer in one of the forums. When everyone was rushing to trade in their Nikons for the latest and greatest this guy posted some pictures (beautiful ones) that his elderly father had taken with a basic D40. These pictures put quite a lot of the other owners in the forum (with their latest and greatest Nikons) to shame. Moral of the story, it's the skills and not the megapixels. 🤷‍♂️

It is what I always say to those who want always the last version of gear, "Gear Acquisition Syndrom" affected people...

First learn to do your best with what you have, improve your skills, then and only then change gear... or not!

The perfect gear would be like one of a matchbox size, 50MP, 10/600mm zoom with constant 0,75 aperture, ISO 50.000 without noise, no tripod needed for a 30 sec pause, intelligent autofocus commanded by voice.... and Full Frame of course! 😉

But this is not close to happen so... there is always something your gear does not... but is there anything YOU are not able to perform with what you have? As a friend of mine told me 50 years ago: what does not enter in your lens is to be forgotten. 

I kept the Q1, well that is: some close relative was using it for a while and I didn't have the courage to deprive him as he uses it a lot, in the other hand 75mm crop factor is a real improvement for me so I purchased the Q2. Even having the M10 I missed my Q, it is not the same purposes, I use the M10 mostly in complement with a 90mm or a 21mm. I.e. next month I will do a road trip between Vegas and Frisco through the National Parks. It will be the Q2 and the M10 with the 21mm. You may say 21mm is not enough for Horseshoebend but I am not going to carry my dear old Nikon 800 with 15mm zeiss (hell of a weight!!!) just for a picture there is hundreds of, and for Antelope Canyon I guess 21mm will be perfect.

For everyday use, that is when I am out not with a photographing purpose, I have a small D-Lux 7, it is not Fx (its principal defect for me!!!) but does a great job, I am still amazed with the results...

Being happy is also love what we have... and not always wishing it could be more of this or that...

And IMHO too much technical concerns kills the poetry, look at digital era photographers and the unique feeling their pictures have: no sharpness obsession, no digital post processing... the most important was the photographer's eye at the moment he shot. A lesson many of us has forgotten...

Edited by Lucena
  • Like 4

On 6/14/2019 at 8:40 AM, Lucena said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You may wear down the paint of the camera as the force of the thumb is not distributed evenly in the cameras thumb rest area... On the other hand I have never used a thumb rest before.. how elastic is it? when you press it with your thumb does it stay firm or does it rub over that right corner of the cameras thumb rest?

Edited by zampelis

Am 14.6.2019 um 09:40 schrieb Lucena:

Translated:

I can't bend it, I guess I'm too weak...

Trust yourself! I did it, now he's sitting right.

Is not much. Simply lay on the table and press in the middle. It's probably ALU, with magnesium it would probably have made a crack.

But not if it is plugged in.

The 'weather sealing' on my Q2 didn't enable it to last one day in the Sahara. No sandstorm, no dropping of the camera — just normal usage in the desert, with some sand naturally falling onto the camera. And now Leica say the warranty is void due to sand damage. So, so disappointing given the price and the advertising of weather sealing,

On 6/20/2019 at 6:23 PM, Ready Set Joe said:

The 'weather sealing' on my Q2 didn't enable it to last one day in the Sahara. No sandstorm, no dropping of the camera — just normal usage in the desert, with some sand naturally falling onto the camera. And now Leica say the warranty is void due to sand damage. So, so disappointing given the price and the advertising of weather sealing,

Ouch !!

That really sucks.