Leica Q2 with 47 MP – Improved in all aspects

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Camera today officially introduces the Leica Q2, a digital camera with 35mm sensor and a built in prime lens Summilux 28mm F/1.7 ASPH. The Leica Q2 is the successor to the Leica Q, introduced in 2015, which has since then built a big and loyal fan base.

More information in this thread as soon as we have the official Leica press release

Almost everything – except for the Summilux lens – all aspects of the camera were improved: Jono Slack as Leica Q2 beta tester has written a detailed report about all differences and improvements. 

» Jono Slack Leica Q2 Review

Leica Q2 at a glance

• 47 MP CMOS Sensor
  • New Maestro image processor
  • Built in Summilux 28mm F/1.7 ASPH. lens
  • Optical design: 11 elements in 9 groups
  • Digitalzoom to 35, 50 and 75 mm
  • Electronic viewfinder with 3,68 MP
  • ISO sensitivity 50 – 50.000
  • Shutter speed (mechanical) 60 – 1/2,000 sec
  • Electronic shutter 1 – 1/40,000 sec
  • 4k video up to 30 fps
  • Dust and splash protection
  • Dimensions (B x H x T): 130 x 80 x 92 mm
  • Weight 718 g (incl. battery)

The Leica Q2 is available as from now, the price tag 4,790 € / $4,995.

Leica Q2 Product Images

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Official Leica Q2 press release:

Leica Q2: The new generation of the compact camera with a full-frame sensor and a fast prime lens

Wetzlar, 7 March 2019. Leica Camera AG presents the Leica Q2 – the next-generation model of the Leica Q line of cameras. With a newly developed full-frame sensor, a fast Leica Summilux 28 mm f/1.7 ASPH. prime lens, fast autofocus and innovative OLED EVF viewfinder technology, the new model carries the performance attributes and timelessly elegant design of its predecessor into the next generation and offers a range of new features and functions. It is the only camera in its class with protective sealing against dust and water spray and is ideally equipped for shooting in all weather conditions.

The Leica Q2 features a 47.3 megapixel full frame sensor that captures both highly-detailed still pictures and 4K video at ISO sensitivities up to 50,000 and, together with its Leica Summilux 28 mm f/1.7 ASPH. lens, ensures exceptional imaging performance. The fast initial aperture of f/1.7 guarantees optimum picture quality in even the most difficult lighting situations. This all makes the Leica Q2 the perfect companion for all areas of street, architectural, landscape, and portrait photography. The practical locking element for the choice of manual or automatic focusing and simple switching to macro mode with a close focus distance of 17 cm is located on the lens and highlights the greatest possible creative freedom provided by the camera in all shooting situations.

Thanks to the extension of the integrated digital zoom function up to 75 mm, users now enjoy even more flexibility for composing their pictures. In addition to the uncropped 28 mm focal length of the camera lens, a crop factor can be chosen to simulate exposures made with focal lengths of 35, 50 or 75 millimetres. The selected crop is displayed as a bright-line frame in the viewfinder and on the rear display panel. The cropped image from the framing selected is saved in JPEG format with correspondingly reduced resolutions of 47.3, 30, 14.7, or 6.6 megapixels. The uncropped image is always saved simultaneously as a DNG file with the full resolution of 47.3 megapixels.

The Leica Q2 also features a newly developed, high-resolution OLED viewfinder with a resolution of 3.68 megapixels. The high resolution provides complete control over the subject at all times and also leads to considerably improved image depth and higher contrast. In contrast to LCD technology, in which only whole sectors of the viewing image can be darkened, the brightness of each individual pixel in the viewfinder of the Q2 is adapted. Despite the high resolution, power consumption remains low. The viewfinder is activated as soon as the camera is brought up to the eye and shows the subject reliably and without any perceptible delay at all times.

The autofocus system of the Leica Q2 focuses sharply on the subject in less than 0.15 seconds, and makes it one of the fastest cameras in its class. Ongoing improvements to the processor from the Maestro II family have enabled a higher sequential shooting rate with an impressive 10 frames per second at the full resolution of 47.3 MP that ensures that the truly wonderful moments in life will never be missed. The range of creative options has been further expanded by the new video mode with 4K resolution. Brilliant, true-to-life video recordings can be made with 3840 x 2160 pixels and frame rates of 30 or 24 fps or, alternatively, in the familiar full HD format with 120, 60, 30 or 24 frames per second. In combination with the Leica FOTOS App, the camera’s integrated Wi-Fi module makes it possible to quickly and easily share pictures and video in social media, change numerous camera settings from a smartphone or even or even remotely control the shutter release of the Leica Q2. Thanks to Bluetooth LE (Low Energy), a permanent connection is established between camera and smartphone.

The design of the Leica Q also carries forward the Leica tradition of reduction to the essentials. The ‘Made in Germany’ seal of quality guarantees that only the finest and most resilient materials are employed in its construction. The distinctive thumb rest of the new Leica Q2 and the sophisticated diamond pattern of its leather trim ensure optimum grip and highlight the accomplished symbiosis of form and function. Also new is the camera’s uniquely intuitive handling concept. A highlight of this is the redesigned dioptre compensation setting dial on the back of the camera that prevents inadvertent shifting of the compensation value. In contrast to the Leica Q, the shutter release button of the Q2 now controls only the On/Off function; the second detent for the continuous shooting function has been removed and is now in the camera menu.

A comprehensive range of optional accessories is also available for the Leica Q2. These include, for example, Protectors and carrying straps in premium-quality leather in the colours black and brown, and an opportunity to add a fashionable touch with versions in red and pink. The new and elegant ‘Ettas’ line of soft, coated canvas pouches for various Leica camera models will also be launched on the same date as the Leica Q2. The pouches will initially be available in the colours midnight blue, stone grey and red, and will be followed later by a range of other versions. The range also includes technical equipment for the Leica Q2 such as the Leica SF 40, SF 60 flash units, the SF C1 remote flash control unit, an additional thumb rest and a handgrip. Perfectly matched to the camera, all accessories are functionally designed for easy handling and are manufactured from only the finest materials to ensure reliability and a lifetime of use.

The Leica Q2 is on sale from today at authorised Leica dealers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, stuny said:

The US price is $4,995.

>sigh< there goes more money.  However I recently sold my Q and though it to a friend was at a modest price .  That helps me rationalize this purchase to replace the Q I've been missing very much.

• Like 4

Is the lens improved in distortion and corner coverage versus the Leica Q? That camera has a lens that needs post exposure distortion correction to fill the corners, so it can't produce truly sharp images into the corners ever. Hope the 28mm/1.7 lens is redesigned.

42 minutes ago, sdk said:

Is the lens improved in distortion and corner coverage versus the Leica Q? That camera has a lens that needs post exposure distortion correction to fill the corners, so it can't produce truly sharp images into the corners ever. Hope the 28mm/1.7 lens is redesigned.

I never noticed any of this. Maybe I am blessed...

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, sdk said:

Jono writes that Q2 has the same lens as Q. DPR writes that the lens has been redesigned for weather sealing and is a bit wider in diameter but is constructed the same. Sean Reid mentions that the new sensor (more resolution) seems to handle SDC better. He will have a detailed lens review tomorrow (www.reidreviews.com has subscription-only content).

From 1st Press reviews, the Q2 does appear to be a technical improvement over the Q, though I'm sure we all agree that the Q is still excellent and will last fore many more years to come.

Images from my Q knock the spots off it's predecessor - the Fujifilm X100F - but the Q's use as a travel camera is, in my opinion, limited by the lack of USB charging. In this respect, the Q2 continues this GLARING ERROR - even more so as it has added weather resistance. OK, the new (SL) battery has a slightly larger capacity, but the convenience of USB charging whilst on the move cannot be overlooked. Shame on you, Leica.

It doesn't matter to me, though. I'll happily continue with the Q for many years to come and (hopefully) there'll be a few useful firmware upgrades along the way. (If I had another £4k to spend, it'd almost certainly be a Fujifilm GFX50R and a wide lens) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sdk said:

I've never noticed this either, maybe I don't need this. 

Nice to see that it still not has the quality of the SL or the M10, which justifies the price difference. If I can judge that by the internet appearance of the images of course. 

4 hours ago, vikasmg said:

>sigh< there goes more money.  However I recently sold my Q and though it to a friend was at a modest price .  That helps me rationalize this purchase to replace the Q I've been missing very much.

I have a Q I would very much like to sell, but not to  trade in against the new Q2.  Can I be cheeky and ask what did you get for your Q?  As I might put mine up for sale this weekend.  I paid £2800 for a pristine used version from a very reputatble dealer in the UK still with Warranty.

Thank you.

Edited by shutterpete
typo error

Just picked up my Q2 from the Leica Mayfair store in London. I called them a couple of weeks ago to register my interest and when I phoned this afternoon they said I was top of the list and they had one ready for me. Never expected that. Now just can’t wait for the weekend to get out with it.

One thing I didn’t realise is that all the accessories are different apparently, although some of the Q ones will fit. The screen is much larger though so I had to get a temporary cut to size one for now. They only had the camera in the Mayfair store and I was told the accessories will follow a little later.

I always regretted selling my Q and very happy to get it back again, with all the improvements!

Edited by robertdecastro
  • Like 2

It’s not fair. The price is way too low. Leica basically only charges for the lens and give a 47 MPx body away. How can first time Leica buyers resist the Sirens’ temptation? Once they have a taste of that Summilux, they will likely want more. Not fair, Leica, not fair. 

• Like 1