Corey

Leica Cl fitted with SF 40 Flash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a problem to get the SF 40 flash working on the CL camera. 
All the settings are as per the manual and the flash setting is on TTL but the flash icon on the display is crossed out meaning the flash will not fire although the camera flash setting is on. I have tried it on manual and auto but it still does not work. The flash tests good when I press the test fire, I have also changed the batteries but have had no success. 
I was hoping to get information from someone who may have experienced the same problem as I have. 

Aside from the Metz retrofitted Leica SF26 and sf40 flash units--does any one recommend a Gadox 350tt-O for the Leica. I have been hearing reports that the hot shoe connections are altered and one can not use other brand flashes. Before I invest, I thought I would toss this out to the group and see who is using what flash.

Ciao! If you have set the camera items to "automatic flash" it will not work, when the natural light is enough. If you want to use the flash for lighting, for example against the sun, you will have to use "permanent flash", by setting on the camera.

Q

The flash did not trigger at all even though it was set on "permanent flash". However I kept on working and eventually got it going when I changed the camera setting from PASM modes to Scene mode and selecting portrait mode. It worked! But still not on Program, Aperture, Shutter and Manual modes. I had another play and changed the shutter setting from Electronic to Mechanical and it worked in all the settings. It has been a frustration but I got it resolved. Thanks for your participation with this problem Mate!

The flash options according to an email from Leica AG is that they do not include non specific camera information in the user guide. Thats why there is no mention of 'how to' re flash in detail.

To use 'Leica flash' SF 40 you have to change shutter settings in the SL2 camera to Mechanical. ( I know its crazy why we have to wade through 260 pages to determine as this info is not mentioned).

It will not work on any other setting. TTL is good but the SF40 is short on power. Leica considers that the SL2 is a Pro camera and as such a Pro would have pro lighting options. Leica also mentioned off camera is an option using SF 60 and SF C1 (note SF 40 cannot be used off camera). Hope this helps, oh and Leica also confirmed that Metz and all other flash makers will not work using TTL on SL2 and can damage the camera invalidating the warranty - well they would say that wouldn't they!!

Roger

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Johnclare369
      Hi all
      I've not used flash very much apart from as fill-in for portraits, but I have an upcoming project that may require a little more of it. I have a Leica SF40 flash which I know can work as a slave when combined with the right master unit. 
      Any suggestions as to what the right master unit would be?
      Thanks.

• By Jacek.PL
      LE11082. Owned from new                (LAST 3 DAYS)
      Excellent - Fully working, in great cosmetic condition.The lens has a smooth focus and clean glass
      Looks like new. Includes boxes, caps, and paperwork from Leica.

delivery – free- 7 business days or 80EUR-2 business days (UPS with international tacking)
      Payment: bank transfer to bank or paypal

• By strangeboy
      My beloved M-E is currently in the hospital in Allendale, NJ, for a corroded sensor replacement.
      The cost of this, as most of you know, is $1,595 + shipping.
      I also had the option to upgrade to the CL (body only) for the same price. The CL offers a host of technological upgrades, better low-light performance, blah, blah, blah. And in full disclosure: I told myself this was the right move to make... that lasted for about an hour.
      The thought of being without this instrument which feels so pure and so aligned with my film photography actually made me nauseous.
      I passed on the CL.
      Here's a pic of "my precious" mounted with the beautiful Canon 50mm f/1.8 (Canon Seranar).
      Carry on.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Jacek.PL
      I am selling a lens bought in the Leica Store in Warsaw. I am is first and only owner.
      the lens looks like new. The focus is smooth, the autofocus and aperture function properly, and the glass has no marks or fungus and no dust. It's a full factory set. This is private sale. There are no returns.
      Shipping via UPS express saver : 90 EUR/80 GBP- (includes international tracking and insurance)
      Payment by PAYPAL or bank transfer
      The full technical data is below:
      https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-CL-TL2/Lenses-for-Leica-TL/Vario-Lenses/Leica-Super-Vario-Elmar-TL-11–23-mm-f-3.5–4.5-ASPH

• By Jacek.PL
      This Leica 60mm f2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL Asph Lens (silver), #4629438, is in great condition. I rate it cosmetically a (9+). The focus is smooth, the autofocus and aperture function properly, and the glass is clean and clear with no haze, marks, or fungus.

I am the first owner. The lens was bought at the Leica Store in Warsaw

Item Condition:

- The item pictured is the actual item for sale and include only what is pictured. It’s full factory set.

Condition details (see photos):
      Cosmetically 9/10 virtually no signs of use or wear but there is very small scratch (see photo) Optically 10-/10 very clean; without scratches, fungus, fog, haze or separation. Mechanically 10/10 like new   

Shipping – free in EU (7 w business days) or via UPS express saver : 90 EUR/80 GBP- (includes international tracking and insurance)
      Payment – Paypal on bank transfer

the description and parameters of the lens are at this link:

https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-CL-TL2/Lenses-for-Leica-TL/Prime-Lenses/Leica-APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL-60mm-f2.8-ASPH

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy