X-Vario vs. Leica CL (again)

mikej

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, all - I was looking at a new CL at the Leica dealer today.  Compared to my X-Vario, I missed the easy shift from autofocus to manual focus.  Definitely didn't like having to go into software menus to manual focus - maybe it could be programmed to make it simpler?  For my eyes, the CL evf didn't seem to adjust as sharply as the X-V evf2 for diopter compensation (but the separate control was nice).  The CL build just didn't seem quite as solid as the X-V to me.  Everyone gripes about the slow X-V zoom, but it is just 1/3 stop slower at the tele end than the CL kit zoom.  I guess I'll hang on to the X-V for a while longer.😀

Cheers,

Mike

Err... Half-press the shutter and turn the manual focus ring to focus manually... Alternatively you can assign the focusing controls to the right wheel button  and/or the fn button. If you set the camera up to your wishes there is hardly any need to go into the menu for any function you wish to access.
The EVF of the CL is vastly superior to the EVF2. Adjust the diopter by pilling and twisting the little wheel beside the ocular. As it locks you will not need to correct the setting all the time like the EVF2.

Never compare a camera you know well to a camera you don't know how to use by a quick try-out at the dealer.

For me the main dislike of the X-Vario was the slowish AF and also sometimes not precise AF. I have small kids an the X-Vario was problematic to cathc anything with action (except prefocus)

Everything else I really did like the X-Vario a lot. The user interface I find so intuitive and "analog". Also the camera produces great color.

The CL has a better viewfinder and much faster AF.

9 hours ago, mikej said:

Hi, all - I was looking at a new CL at the Leica dealer today.  Compared to my X-Vario, I missed the easy shift from autofocus to manual focus.  Definitely didn't like having to go into software menus to manual focus - maybe it could be programmed to make it simpler?  For my eyes, the CL evf didn't seem to adjust as sharply as the X-V evf2 for diopter compensation (but the separate control was nice).  The CL build just didn't seem quite as solid as the X-V to me.  Everyone gripes about the slow X-V zoom, but it is just 1/3 stop slower at the tele end than the CL kit zoom.  I guess I'll hang on to the X-V for a while longer.😀

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, while overlapping as convenient zoom lens cameras, there are more differences than simularities. The XV is a more solid camera whereas the CL is a strong lighter weight body. It is the heart of a very versatile system and therein lies its great strength and value.

Operationally they are very different. However,  once set up the CL is delightfully simple to use. Manual focusIng on the CL is easier and  more precise than with the XV, especially with Focus Assist selected. 

Try not to think of the two cameras as mutually exclusive. Trade-in values for the XV are woefully low which is why I kept mine for use at home and around the garden. It is a bridge camera, not the heart of a system. I urge you to search the forum for earlier discussions which range over well-trodden ground comparing the two cameras..

• Thanks 1

CL= interchangeable lenses, ca 4 1/2 years more advanced than X Vario -> better image sensor, AF, integrated EVF,  etc. (= more everything incl. pricetag) less size&weight

Edited by tri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just went though this upgrade path.

X-Vario takes wonderful images.. as long as you have enough light (sensitivity), you didn’t rely on automation and autofocus, and it wasn’t moving too fast.  You are limited to one slow amazingly sharp lens.  EVF2 sucked to carry on-camera, stood out like a sore Leica thumb, and lcd resolution was from the previous decade.  If you could work around these with the XV, you can take amazing pictures.

Now two weeks in, I find the CL mitigates these issues well.  I love that I can use just about any manual glass I want by using lens adapters. This helps “expand” my system at minimal cost as I already own a bunch of Nikon gear and allows me to experiment.  As an amature photographer, the upgrade to the CL was a huge extravagance.  But, hey.. it was my birthday.

• Like 1