TL lens auto focus

On the TL 35 1.4 on my CL, the AF-S is quick and silent enough. AF-C is a different story. The motor is noisy and doesn’t give me the same sense of confidence. 

@huwm which lens are you using?

and for those with the TL 35lux, how does the motor perform for you in AF-C? 🤔

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 8:17 AM, brklyn said:

On the TL 35 1.4 on my CL, the AF-S is quick and silent enough. AF-C is a different story. The motor is noisy and doesn’t give me the same sense of confidence. 

@huwm which lens are you using?

and for those with the TL 35lux, how does the motor perform for you in AF-C? 🤔

I get the same noise when set to AF-C on the 18-56. I suspect it is because it is trying to track a stationary object. I tend not to use the camera for things that are moving.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Different lens firmware. ;)

Surely the lens firmware for CL and TL2 is the same?

Otherwise they might then try and update each time, which doesn't seem to be the case as I've swapped lenses about a bit with no further updates.

Interestingly, or not, the TL2  updated the 18-56 and 23 but not the 11-23 which were also previously being used on the CL (with latest firmware).

I could be being a bit dopey here but it seems that the TL2  is able to update the lens firmware and the CL isn't.

I had a similar experience. I have the original Leica T, and I couldn't use the 35Lux on the CL until I first put it on my T for the firmware to update. For the T, the latest firmware is 1.9 (october 2018), not sure what it is for the TL2. Very weird quirk.

Quick question @huwm - to compare notes, with your 35Lux on your CL, when you put the focus on AF-C and Tracking, can you still audibly hear the motor trying to track focus, or is it essentially silent. Mine is still audible. If yours is now silent, I'll probably take it to the Leica store to see if I can update it against their shop TL2.

Thanks for your help! -Josh

Hi Josh

Not silent, just less noticeable

35 on the TL2  is silent(ish) but I'm holding it at arms length ( no evf yet and old eyes) as opposed to the CL where I hold it up to my face.

I'm going to live with it, but am still a bit worried that I can 'feel' the AF working

Huw

Hi Josh

Not silent, just less noticeable

35 on the TL2  is silent(ish) but I'm holding it at arms length ( no evf yet and old eyes) as opposed to the CL where I hold it up to my face.

I'm going to live with it, but am still a bit worried that I can 'feel' the AF working

Huw

4 hours ago, huwm said:

Surely the lens firmware for CL and TL2 is the same?

Otherwise they might then try and update each time, which doesn't seem to be the case as I've swapped lenses about a bit with no further updates.

Interestingly, or not, the TL2  updated the 18-56 and 23 but not the 11-23 which were also previously being used on the CL (with latest firmware).

I could be being a bit dopey here but it seems that the TL2  is able to update the lens firmware and the CL isn't.

No, that is not correct. The first thing the CL did when I mounted my new lenses was to update the lens firmware. It appears that the firmware is not the same, but. when updated, compatible.

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2019 at 7:33 PM, jaapv said:

The first thing the CL did when I mounted my new lenses was to update the lens firmware. It appears that the firmware is not the same, but. when updated, compatible.

I am a bit concerned to read this.  When I picked up the street kit and TL35 a month ago, the CL needed updating from FW1.0 to FW2.2.  Neither of the lenses updated when attached to the body.  Does this mean their firmware was not updated?    Is there any way to check that the lenses have the right firmware installed?

I posted in the Q&A section asking how to update lens firmware but there was no answer there.  Jaap's post here looks like the answer.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Jaap.  Your advice is: "no sign of action, none needed."  I'm okay with that but a little surprised since the body itself needed updating -- takes a bit of trusting.  Have there been firmware updates for the 23 and 35 in the past, or is there a way of checking the firmware version for the lens?

Edited by rob_w