Ways to somewhat weatherproof Leica Q v1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

with the Leica Q2 coming out, my Leica Q price is most likely going to drop, so I don't think it'll be worth it to sell it until I make more use of it I think. So my question is, what are some measures that you guys have done to somewhat weatherproof your Leica Q?

Example:

-tape up mic and speaker holes

-some people have mentioned putting rubber band on the mount between camera and lens? (Can someone post a picture since im not sure how that works)

Thank you,

Jeff

On 3/4/2019 at 12:38 PM, nariza7 said:

with the Leica Q2 coming out, my Leica Q price is most likely going to drop, so I don't think it'll be worth it to sell it until I make more use of it I think. So my question is, what are some measures that you guys have done to somewhat weatherproof your Leica Q?

Example:

-tape up mic and speaker holes

-some people have mentioned putting rubber band on the mount between camera and lens? (Can someone post a picture since im not sure how that works)

Thank you,

Jeff

I've done all that, more for dust than weatherproofing.

I put a black rubber band around the lens at the very base of the body, effectively covering the macro, which still turns easily.

Just use a ziplock bag. But let it open at the bottom, to let it breath and to avoid any condensation. 

100% effective and über dirt cheap. And ugly as hell of course. But at least you are covered. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Just use a ziplock bag. But let it open at the bottom, to let it breath and to avoid any condensation. 

100% effective and über dirt cheap. And ugly as hell of course. But at least you are covered. 

+1. I always carry a ziplock bag, keeping an extra battery and other stuff in it. if it rains, I can tear a hole in it, as you say.

Ah, that might work. I was also worried for dusty/sandy places like Utah's Antelope canyon or something. Last time I brought my gh5, the back was all dust sandy, but since that was weatherproof more, i had no worries. Guess the limitation of leica q "weather proofing" will have to be taping up the holes, rubber banding the gaps in the lens, and using ziplock bags for rainy weather

I’ve been to the slot canyons around Page AZ several times. They can be very dusty. I’ve never had a problem with my Canon 5D3, but I was there before I owned my Q. Were I to go again and with the Q, I’d tend keep it in a bag and onky take it out to actually shoot a photo. I might consider putting it in a ziplock bag and gaffer take the lens through a hole in the bag. The dust there can be fine and I’d fear it getting into the camera. It all depends on if there’s much wind and if you’re early in the day before all the hoards of tourist go through. I’m specifically thinking Lower Antelope Canyon when I say this. 

• Like 1

I have taken my Q up mountains, thru the Amazon , in London rain and down the pub. No taping no special treatment just a clean up at the end of the day. Never any issues.  In rain just put on under coat - it’s really common sense stuff. 

• Thanks 1

I've been out in heavy snow and rain when doing street photography, with just wiping of the worst of the water every once in a while and my Q is no worse for wear. I haven't taped up any part of the body or use any type of case.  I've been mostly avoiding switching between regular and macro mode, but with not other precautions taken into consideration.

• 5 years later...

My response to the blocking of the mic/speaker openings, especially in the Q, will it cause gradual condensation internally? It being a fixed lens it’s always sealed unlike interchangeable lens models that allow ingress of air from time to time…

12 hours ago, markielinhart said:

My response to the blocking of the mic/speaker openings, especially in the Q, will it cause gradual condensation internally? It being a fixed lens it’s always sealed unlike interchangeable lens models that allow ingress of air from time to time…

I plus four people I know have all had our original Q’s for 5+ years.

All have taped mic/speaker ports and none have experienced anything untoward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just like Ted Lemon and J.B. Ripley above, in the 6 1/2 years I've had my Q, I've never taped it, but I have had it in deserts, mountains, seashores, rain forests, falling snow, light to driving rain, strong wind and never had any problems at all - not even dust.  That's with tens of thousands of shots.  I suspect those who tape them are reacting to unproven rumors. 

• Like 2