35mm Noctilux Lens

Revolver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My smallest fast lens is my 35 Summilux-M pre-aspherical.  The APO-Summicron 50 is also diminuitive.

I can’t think why a 35mm Noctilux-M f/1.00 would be any bigger than the 21 Summilux.  The more critical point is the distinction between a lens that doesn’t block the view finder too much and a lens that’s too big for some users here.  If you like small M lenses, you won’t be buying ANY Noctilux and most Summiluxes (Summilae?) will be out of the question anyway.

While there is interest here, whatr drives it?  The 28 Summilux is a step too far for many, and the 21 & 24 Summiluxes daft (I recall Lars Berquist almost getting bent out of shape over the Zeiss 15 Distagon 2.8 ZM - what is the point of a wide with a shallow depth of field?).  Peter Karbe’s drivers seem to be optical excellence (the APO-Summicron-M 50 ASPH, the 75 Noctilux, SL Summicrons and 50 Summilux to name but a few), and providing the best lens to give depth of field options at all focal lengths.

I think a 35 Noctilux would be a flagship lens for Dr Karbe, along with the 75 Noctilux, and a v2 of the 50 Noctilux 0.95, and people would buy it ...

If one is unhappy with the original 35mm Summilux all he needs is to stop it down to ƒ2 or smaller to have a Summicron. If one has a Summicron he cannot revert to ƒ1.4. Enough?

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fedro said:

ahem ... the 35 mm (11.3 oz) Lux is NOT bigger than the 50 mm Lux (11.8 oz). It is smaller

In fact 35 and 50 seem to be usually about the same size

75s are longer

bottom line these comparisons are totally useless because it will depend on a lot of variables, but I would definitely expect it to be smaller than the 75 nocti

The 35 Summilux is substantially wider than the 50 Lux. I guess I should have clarified what exactly I meant. With the hood on the 35 Lux I believe it is longer. I own both but don't have the 35 with me to measure to be 100% certain of the length w/hood. 

Agree completely with your last sentence.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dkmoore said:

That said, the 35 Lux is bigger than the 50 Lux and the 28, 24, and 21 are significantly bigger than the 50 Lux.

The sizing seems to balloon in both directions if the 50 Lux is the middle.

I would think a 35 Noctilux would be somewhere in-between the 50 and 75 Noctilux size based on the above observation. Pure speculation.

I agree with this. I reckon it will be bigger than the 50mm Noctilux. More elements too, so probably heavier. As the 35mm Summilux already encroaches into the framelines, a Noctilux will be much worse. I don't see this as being a practical lens at all. Even if a lens costing a five-figure sum could be in any way shape or form, be considered practical.

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb dkmoore:

With this logic the 75 would have been smaller than the 50.

I believe that the 50 Noctilux is the smallest of the Noctilux line that will be produced

No. Did you read the interview on Overgaards Website with Mr. Krabe? The choose to make it bigger to better correct CAs. They could have made it smaller than the 75 Nocti, but decided for IQ.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, pico said:

If one is unhappy with the original 35mm Summilux all he needs is to stop it down to ƒ2 or smaller to have a Summicron. If one has a Summicron he cannot revert to ƒ1.4. Enough?

The Summilux cannot fully replace the Summicron because it lacks the 0.7m close focus capability. Which is important for some of us.

exactly, these comparison make little sense at this point

I think it will be smaller than the 75 because in general 35s are smaller than 75, but then again if they want to make it absolutely perfect, with 0.5 aperture and that focuses to 0.3 meters it will be enormous

The 50 Nocti is currently the smallest, but it is larger than its predecessors. if they make a new version that focuses to 0.7 meters it may well be the largest nocti around

16 minutes ago, SMAL said:

No. Did you read the interview on Overgaards Website with Mr. Krabe? The choose to make it bigger to better correct CAs. They could have made it smaller than the 75 Nocti, but decided for IQ.

9 hours ago, evikne said:

The Summilux cannot fully replace the Summicron because it lacks the 0.7m close focus capability. Which is important for some of us.

My Summilux 35 focuses closer than 1m, probably 0.7m. Perhaps it is an oddball. It also has a locking focus tab.

3 minutes ago, pico said:

My Summilux 35 focuses closer than 1m, probably 0.7m. Perhaps it is an oddball. It also has a locking focus tab.

Pico, is-it with correction lenses (goggles as people call them now) ?

In this case it will rangefinder focus to 65cm.

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Pico, is-it with correction lenses (goggles as people call them now) ?

In this case it will rangefinder focus to 65cm.

No goggles. It's a regular Summilux ƒ1.4

4 hours ago, pico said:

Hello Pico,

For a lens to focus to 0.7 meters it has to extend the focusing mount 1/2 again further than it did to focus from Infinity to 1 meter. That is an additional 1/2 of the angle of rotation of that focusing mount used to take it from Infinity to 1 meter.

Does your lens rotate 1/2 again more (More or less.) in its travel from 1 meter to where it stops? Or, does it rotate less than that?  Rotating somewhat closer than the advertised closest focusing distance is common with many Leitz lenses.

35mm lenses with goggles that focus to 0,65 meters on M3 & all other M cameras do so because those Ingenious Magical Wizards of Wetzlar took a 35mm lens mount that focuses to 0.65meters and connected it to a rangefinder cam mechanism that moves the rangefinder in the range/viewfinder from infinity to 1 meter while the focusing mount is moving the lens head from Infinity to 0.65 meters.

And: At the same time: The image seen thru the goggles which is been reduced to 2/3 the range/viewfinder image size: Has also been expanded to cover 3/2 of the angle of view that the regular viewfinder in the range/viewfinder window displays. 

Nifty work by the Ingenious Magical Wizards of Wetzlar.

Best Regards,

Michael

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

What benefits of APO features in 35mm ?

Has anyone done "apo 35mm" for 135 format yet ?

Kinoptik did produce 35 mm Apo lenses  for the 35mm Cine format. I have a few M converted and RF coupled . The 32 f2.8 and 35 f2 Apo Kinoptik lenses  cover the APS-H format of the M8 nicely.

Thanks Jean-Marc, I did aware of those apo for cine format (135 ? half-frame in still photo world).

Curious though that the "Apo Kinoptic" gives good result on M8 without vignetting: magical people at Kinoptic who create them.

Quick calculation for Cine format  (to simplify 18x24), that means diagonal is 30mm, so 35mm for this format is a kind of long focus, so the apo may be mandatory

(as now famous Leica Apo-Summicron-M 2/50mm asph.)

I mean the benefits for 135 format full frame (24x36).

Plain non apo 35mm lenses do have so small amount of CA aberration that creation of "apo variety" of 35mm lens would be overkill or only "marketing purpose".

Edited by a.noctilux

2 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

For a lens to focus to 0.7 meters it has to extend the focusing mount 1/2 again further than it did to focus from Infinity to 1 meter. That is an additional 1/2 of the angle of rotation of that focusing mount used to take it from Infinity to 1 meter.

All I can tell you is the lens has a 1m mark but extends beyond that for closer, RF coupled focusing. I'll  charge the battery of my toy digital camera and make a picture tomorrow.

Hello Pico,

An easy way to find out how closely a lens focuses is to put the camera with the lens properly mounted on a table with a long ruler underneath the 2 of them. With the ruler's starting number under the camera & lens.

Align the beginning (Effectively the "0" point.) of the ruler under the back of the accessory/hot shoe. This is because that spot is close enough to being at the film/sensor plane to be considered the appropriate beginning measuring point. Digital or film.

Then focus the lens as much closer than the 1 meter mark as possible. To the point where the lens focusing ring stops turning.

Then slide something flat & vertical, like a box of spaghetti, back & forth along the ruler with the lens set to the aperture with the least focal shift & the shutter speed set appropriately for circumstance.

Read the distance that is visible on the ruler at the front of the box & "click" the shutter & look at the photo to make sure that everything is alright.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

19 hours ago, SMAL said:

Agreed but most likely they would take a similar design approach, perfect.

Are 35s any less prone to aberrations than a 75mm (serious question)?