35mm Noctilux Lens

Revolver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I heard a rumor in January that Leica was making a 35mm Noctilux lens. Was curious if anyone had heard anything more about this? Although I’m happy with my 35mm Summicron I think a Noctilux would be super cool to add to my bag. The size of it would be my only concern, as the bigger lenses aren’t appealing to me. 

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Revolver:

I heard a rumor in January that Leica was making a 35 mm Noctilux lens. 

I guess what you actually heard was probably just someone's rant about how nice it would be if there was a 35 mm Noctilux.

Recently Russian version of M240 called Zenit(h) was shown with 35mm f1 lens, so...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Recently Russian version of M240 called Zenit(h) was shown with 35mm f1 lens, so...

I struggle to understand this Zenit-Leica collaboration. How can Leica accept that another company make cameras with a design so similar to their own, and at the same time (in my eyes) so ugly?

51 minutes ago, spydrxx said:

That's a non sequitur...if you don't like big lenses, any Noctilux isn't for you. Laws of physics apply - more light in equals larger

elements, and consequently heavier lenses.

well it depends how big. the 75mm is too big. if it’s smaller than the 50mm, then it might be worth it.

20 minutes ago, evikne said:

I struggle to understand this Zenit-Leica collaboration. How can Leica accept that another company make cameras with a design so similar to their own, and at the same time (in my eyes) so ugly?

Probably profiting by offloading unused M240 parts.  Word at the time was that Zenit would be limited volume run.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Revolver:

well it depends how big. the 75mm is too big. if it’s smaller than the 50mm, then it might be worth it.

It´s a wide angle. No way it can be smaller than the 75mm or the corners will look like absolute shit. I would buy a 35 Noctilux in a heartbeat, but I don´t think they´ll ever produce one. 

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The discussion with Leica was reported in the linked article, and picked up later by Leica Rumors. Nothing definitive... still a wish that the writer interprets as  a reality...

https://photobasecamp.com/leica-factory-future-product-news/

Jeff

I wrote this article. The response was that they know its a lens people are very interested in, and the 35mm focal length is one of the most popular for Leica.  They of course did not confirm it, but they certainly did not deny it, and they too were interested in producing a lens like this and have mentioned before they want to extend the Noctilux product line as seen with the 75mm release. 

I think we will see this lens. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Fedro said:

I am not sure why? the 35 Lux and Cron are much smaller than their 75 counterparts .. unless you want an f0.45 35mm nocti of course ;) 

That said, the 35 Lux is bigger than the 50 Lux and the 28, 24, and 21 are significantly bigger than the 50 Lux.

The sizing seems to balloon in both directions if the 50 Lux is the middle.

I would think a 35 Noctilux would be somewhere in-between the 50 and 75 Noctilux size based on the above observation. Pure speculation.

1 hour ago, SMAL said:

It´s a wide angle. No way it can be smaller than the 75mm or the corners will look like absolute shit. I would buy a 35 Noctilux in a heartbeat, but I don´t think they´ll ever produce one. 

Unless you work at Leica, I would never say never. I think one is coming. Technology changes, new things can be done. The bigger question is usually how much would it cost to produce. It would instantly be a best seller for sure.

2 minutes ago, Revolver said:

Unless you work at Leica, I would never say never. I think one is coming. Technology changes, new things can be done. The bigger question is usually how much would it cost to produce. It would instantly be a best seller for sure.

With this logic the 75 would have been smaller than the 50.

I believe that the 50 Noctilux is the smallest of the Noctilux line that will be produced

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

That said, the 35 Lux is bigger than the 50 Lux and the 28, 24, and 21 are significantly bigger than the 50 Lux.

The sizing seems to balloon in both directions if the 50 Lux is the middle.

I would think a 35 Noctilux would be somewhere in-between the 50 and 75 Noctilux size based on the above observation. Pure speculation.

ahem ... the 35 mm (11.3 oz) Lux is NOT bigger than the 50 mm Lux (11.8 oz). It is smaller

In fact 35 and 50 seem to be usually about the same size

75s are longer

bottom line these comparisons are totally useless because it will depend on a lot of variables, but I would definitely expect it to be smaller than the 75 nocti

51 minutes ago, mikeamosau said:

I think we will see this lens. 

Actually you wrote 2 months ago that you felt that you would be seeing this lens “soon”.  How do you define soon, and what led you to conclude timing if they offered nothing concrete?

Jeff