Minor differences you found between the M8 and M9?

andrea-i

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!
This video by Hugo made me think of all the little unspoken of differences between an M8 and an M9, stuff that usually is not covered on review blogs, if any of you has both cameras, what are the differences you did find and did not expect? Aside from the sensor/iso differences we all know about.
Stuff like startup time, save time, menu and operational differences in general.
Hugo is the second guy I hear saying that the M8 feels like a more "raw/mechanical" experience than the M9, and I thought they were pretty much identical. Thoughts?

Anecdotical...

When I use my M8 (even now), I'm ennoyed by the noise and vibration, if only first pictures then I forget about that after minutes of use.

But for me M8 is "unique" and M9 IS another "unique nice camera to use".

M9 can't be used for funny IR pictures.

M8 "croppy" can not explore the whole character of my old lenses (some Summar from 1930's or Summarit 1.5/50, S-A 21mm for example).

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Anecdotical...

When I use my M8 (even now), I'm ennoyed by the noise and vibration, if only first pictures then I forget about that after minutes of use.

But for me M8 is "unique" and M9 IS another "unique nice camera to use".

M9 can't be used for funny IR pictures.

M8 "croppy" can not explore the whole character of my old lenses (some Summar from 1930's or Summarit 1.5/50, S-A 21mm for example).

Thanks Arnaud, prices of the M9 are dropping down to the point that I'm not sure if I'd buy another M8 again, so I was wondering why some people still find the M8 more preferable.

My wife who personalises wisdom told me not to sell M8/M9 when I (as usual 😏) purchased the newer generation (s) M.

Only when I lent her my M9 (for years she uses her M8) she noticed that the slow writing on SD card on M9 blinking red LED was perturbating,

but she now appreciates the "quieter" M9 and "bigger viewfinder" (as she said * and no need to put x1.25 magnifier as on her M8).

* we know that the magnifications are the same x0.68 on M8/M9

• Like 2

There are several recurring M8 problems:  battery life is noticeably less in the M8 than the M9 in the case of my examples - strange!  While I haven't noticed it in years, at one time the M8 did not shut off automatically on a predictable basis.  Hence, complete battery discharge, a not pleasant surprise.  Regards, Ron

Third party batteries.

M8 will lock on them, M9 will show them as not charged.

ISO, I'm not sure if it is apparent as diffrence.

Both cameras gives adequate and usable ISO 2500 as long as you understand what it must be enough light. Yet, for some reasons many still struggle to understand it and drawing wrong conclusions. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Third party batteries.

M8 will lock on them, M9 will show them as not charged.

ISO, I'm not sure if it is apparent as diffrence.

Both cameras gives adequate and usable ISO 2500 as long as you understand what it must be enough light. Yet, for some reasons many still struggle to understand it and drawing wrong conclusions. :)

Indeed I've started using high iso on the M8 and I am starting to get a good feel about it, definitely not a low light shooting expedient, but really good to preserve detail in the shadows, especially in B&W where the noise comes out as pleasantly grainy .

What about writing files to the sd card? I know the camera is picky about the sd card, but with the right card, how much slower does it get than an M8?
Thank you all for your answers by the way!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, andrea-i said:

Indeed I've started using high iso on the M8 and I am starting to get a good feel about it, definitely not a low light shooting expedient, but really good to preserve detail in the shadows, especially in B&W where the noise comes out as pleasantly grainy .

What about writing files to the sd card? I know the camera is picky about the sd card, but with the right card, how much slower does it get than an M8?
Thank you all for your answers by the way!

At your service! 

Regarding writing at both, I find it to be similar in regards of speed under same settings. If set to in-camera JPEG1, it takes longer than if set to DNG. But with M8 it seems to take longer. I guess it is converting and writing if in JPEG1, as if DNG it is not converting. And M8 DNG files are small.

But it isn't critical to me. I'm taking one exposure only.  With M8 it is preferable, if third party batteries are in use. 

If M8 takes two exposures with shutter release button pressed (burst mode), with third party batteries M8 locks. To unlock it second battery is needed. 

On subjective note, chrome M8 feels like no any other digital camera. It is closer to pre-ELC M cameras. 

Also, not only M8 is most affordable digital M, it allows to be economical on the lens choice.

It works with half-frame Industar-69 28 2.8 scale focus lens. It is in the same size as oddly rendering Minitar-1 and exotic MS optical pancakes. But it is optically fine lens at 10$ price mark and works well for street photogaphy.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

One needs to specify the M8 version for a more specific comparison to M9 operation.  The upgrade program included 3 possible changes.... to the shutter (and top speed), to the LCD and to the the frame line distance optimization.  The M8.2 included all 3 upgrades as well as other differences (body material and covering, snapshot mode, etc).

The M8.2 was the more ‘refined’ camera, arguably with fewer ‘bugs’ associated with earlier models. The M9 introduced some new issues relating to card compatibility, sensor cracks, color fringing, etc.  But most people enjoyed using the M9 without worrying about UV/IR cut filters.

Jeff

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

No. The M8.2 shutter fails more often than the M8 one, if posts in this forum are anything to judge by. The M8.2 shutter was changed to reduce shutter noise.

Thanks jaapv, I was regretting buying an M8 after I heard the M8.2 could have been a better future-proof investment. 
And I was pretty pissed off once I bought my M8 to find out the user did not report the correct number of actuations, he mentioned 7k, I've found double that, ouch.
So, I thought at some point to get another M8 with less actuations, but I keep telling myself I just can't know for sure what and if will fail, and an M8 with less actuations might as well fail before the one I just got.
So, I think when I'll see a good deal on an M9, I might go for that instead, to have a companion to my M8, rather than a replacement.

Edited by andrea-i

I had 2 M8.2s... never a problem.  If I wanted another M8, it’s the only model I’d consider.... from a reputable dealer with warranty and return policy. 

And if I wanted an M9, I’d buy from a reputable dealer that only sells them with the new sensor and Leica service, like Leica Miami.

Jeff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I had 2 M8.2s... never a problem.  If I wanted another M8, it’s the only model I’d consider.... from a reputable dealer with warranty and return policy. 

And if I wanted an M9, I’d buy from a reputable dealer that only sells them with the new sensor and Leica service, like Leica Miami.

Jeff

I think used M9s with original sensors are actually become interesting, prices are going as low as 1000 euros, and if the camera hasn't developed any sensor issues, chances are it might not need a replacement for another while.
Buying for as low as 1k and getting even just one whole year of use on the original sensor, would then justify the extra 1k needed to replace the sensor later on.
Is it a bad idea? 

33 minutes ago, andrea-i said:

I think used M9s with original sensors are actually become interesting, prices are going as low as 1000 euros, and if the camera hasn't developed any sensor issues, chances are it might not need a replacement for another while.
Buying for as low as 1k and getting even just one whole year of use on the original sensor, would then justify the extra 1k needed to replace the sensor later on.
Is it a bad idea? 

My M9 (now my wife uses it for a while) never has it's sensor replacement.

One of the reasons we don't want to sell it is the low price "if original sensor".

That said, I (we) think that if the sensor in this almost ten years old never develops the corrosion, I (we) think that it never will.

🤞 In worse case, we would pay 1550€ to replace the sensor when the corrosion comes in future.

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

My M9 (now my wife uses it for a while) never has it's sensor replacement.

One of the reasons we don't want to sell it is the low price "if original sensor".

That said, I (we) think that if the sensor in this almost ten years old never develops the corrosion, I (we) think that it never will.

🤞 In worse case, we would pay 1550€ to replace the sensor when the corrosion comes in future.

oh, I forgot the CLA expenses, plus shipping...gosh, 1500euros is quite a bit of money to put on top of a second hand m9 with original sensor.

13 hours ago, jaapv said:

No. The M8.2 shutter fails more often than the M8 one, if posts in this forum are anything to judge by. The M8.2 shutter was changed to reduce shutter noise.

JAAP, I am in a sort of Leica awe in regard to your answers!  Not much gets by you. Regards, ron

Edited by Ronazle

13 hours ago, jaapv said:

Perhaps, but I had three M8's, each upgraded to the 8.2 .  No problems with them after the upgrades.  I still have one of them.  Posts in this forum are skewed in favor of complaints.

• Like 5

I’ve seen far more complaints here about the earlier M8 iterations than the M8.2, even after FW upgrades.  In fact, there were FAR more complaints about early, and even later,  M9s ... color issues, color fringing, buffer issues, freezing (especially with discreet mode), cracked sensors, sd card compatibility complaints, and more. People have short memories.

Jeff