21mm for Monochrom Mk1?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to reinforce - Leica's 21mm SEM is exceptional. On the MM, it can compare nicely to medium format. Also wanted to know how it would work for architecture , seeing if a cropped shot with the 21 (newer lens) would match up to 28R PC lens  fully shifted  - and up to 13 x19 prints, there was practically nothing between them (things you can do with a Leica dealer across the street!) . The shot with the 21, cropped and with less resolution, was just fine. Have no experience with the Zeiss, and it may be good too, but the 21 SEM is really crisp and no distortion. One of their best. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Am 27.4.2019 um 21:56 schrieb geoffreyg:

The VC 21 f4 is certainly great in size and price, but I find it too soft on the edges - blurring, distortion. The Leica 21 SEM is sharp to the corners. 

The first one I had was too soft on the edges, too. Returning it to the shop where I had bought it they told me, that it was within tolerances, but they gave me another one to try out, and that seemed and still seems perfect to me. No softness in the edges any more, and only natural distortion as usual with 21 mm.

Having read Sean Reid's I can hardly imagine that the Leica ones might be any better. In any case the VC 21mm f4 is far better, than the 21-mm-Elmarit-M from 1993 was that I had before. I stopped looking around for other 21mm-lenses, and I still keep it (my only non-Leica-lens besides a 50mm-f1.4-Canon-M39).

Regarding the aperture I use to shoot wide angle at f5.6 or f8 anyway as - in general - I do not take wide-angle-pictures with blurred background like - for example - portraits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Verteidiger said:

...In any case the VC 21mm f4 is far better, than the 21-mm-Elmarit-M from 1993 was that I had before. I stopped looking around for other 21mm-lenses, and I still keep it (my only non-Leica-lens besides a 50mm-f1.4-Canon-M39). 

I bought the Voigtländer 21mm f4 Color Skopar to try out this focal length on my M9Monochrom and, similarly, I was so impressed with its sharpness that I never felt the need to upgrade it to something more expensive.

Edited by Nick_S

There is no bad lens on the Monochrom v1. Amongst 21mm lenses I would agree that NOTHING touches the 3.4/21 SEM.  

However, I notice you mentioned the 21mm CV so you should seriously look at the Zeiss 4.5/21 C-Biogon T* ZM.  
This is an extraordinary lens: renders beautifully, exceptional correction of distortion, cheap, compact, great bayonet hood.  
I did finally replace it with the 21 SEM but it still took some time for me to part with the Zeiss.
I should add that it does cause red edging on colour sensors which is why I finally parted with it, but there is no such problem on the Monochrom.

• 1 month later...

On the m246 i used the Super-Angulon a (using “advanced mode” of the lightmeter), it gave me very pleasing results! It’s very sharp and the annoying color shift otherwise noticed on M10 is of course no problem. On MM1 you will have to do with a manual lightmeter

Now I have sold my 246, and use the SEM on M10 instead (the SA sits in its box waiting for a new MM) and I can only praise it! I don’t think there is anything equal on the market, it’s just perfect for everything!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 5:46 AM, Magnus_L_Andersson said:

The favourites seem to be the VC/4 and Biogon/2.8, but has anyone tried the VC/3.5 ?

Want to find a sweet spot between size, weight, aperture and image quality, hence original Leica lenses are in the game by price to have lower prio than the other parameters. 

I have the VC/3.5. I use it on my Mono and M10, I am  getting nice results.

On my M-P 240 I use the CV 21/4 and the Elmarit M 21/2.8.

The CV is good but the Elmarit M is excellent. It's a Mandler designed lens and produces lovely rendering on a digital sensor.

It's interesting that my experience is the complete opposite of Vertiediger, who posted earlier...

Ernst

Edited by Ernstk

Hi,

I've had great results with the 21 SA 3.4  on the MM mk1 :

October 2014, Hong Kong by JM__, on Flickr

in Hong Kong by JM__, on Flickr

Two men walking by JM__, on Flickr

Best, JM.

• 4 weeks later...