Leica M-Looks Pro presets for Lightroom – replacement (and improvement) for VSCO

Guest Nowhereman

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For color images, I've been often using a VSCO preset as a starting point. I now find that the Leica M-Looks Pro presets give me a better starting point and usually produce better skin tones, and also require little or no use of the LR  Structure slider. That is good because the Structure slider can easily result in "haloes". Someone told me that the M-Looks presets were originally made to give an M9-look to M240 images, although I don't know if that's true. In any case, they work well with M10 files.

The M-Look presets work somewhat differently from VSCO presets, which apply changes on top of the settings you've already made in LR;  M-Looks presets revert to the original DNG and apply changes to that. That means, for example, if you've already adjusted the White Balance, when you apply an M-Looks preset the WB revers to its As Shot setting.

For B&W, I've been using Silver Efex; but, now I find that with the M-Looks presets I can get a look that is often as good as what I get with Silver Efex; not always, but better than I can do in just using LR with VSCO.

Actually, I've only been using two of the M-Looks presets: Real Film (Typ 4) and Real Film (Typ 5) B&W. The Real Film presets can be bought for $15, while the whole Leica M-Looks Pro package costs $40. But I don't recall whether the smaller Real Film package is sold on the rawpresets.com site, or if you have to go to the original developer's site, whose name you can find on the rawpresets.com site. 

If you try M-Looks please let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nowhereman

Thanks, Robert. I was curious to hear how others view these presets because they seem to take quite a different approach from that of VSCO and the others.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:22 AM, Nowhereman said:

For color images, I've been often using a VSCO preset as a starting point. I now find that the Leica M-Looks Pro presets give me a better starting point and usually produce better skin tones, and also require little or no use of the LR  Structure slider. That is good because the Structure slider can easily result in "haloes". Someone told me that the M-Looks presets were originally made to give an M9-look to M240 images, although I don't know if that's true. In any case, they work well with M10 files.

The M-Look presets work somewhat differently from VSCO presets, which apply changes on top of the settings you've already made in LR;  M-Looks presets revert to the original DNG and apply changes to that. That means, for example, if you've already adjusted the White Balance, when you apply an M-Looks preset the WB revers to its As Shot setting.

For B&W, I've been using Silver Efex; but, now I find that with the M-Looks presets I can get a look that is often as good as what I get with Silver Efex; not always, but better than I can do in just using LR with VSCO.

Actually, I've only been using two of the M-Looks presets: Real Film (Typ 4) and Real Film (Typ 5) B&W. The Real Film presets can be bought for $15, while the whole Leica M-Looks Pro package costs $40. But I don't recall whether the smaller Real Film package is sold on the rawpresets.com site, or if you have to go to the original developer's site, whose name you can find on the rawpresets.com site. 

I already used Mlook more than years with M9 preset for sony A7R2/3 and A73 , which can provide M9 looks. 

• 1 month later...

I own all of these presets, and I use them VERY often.

The only thing I am not positive about is the sharpening.  Each of these presets hammers the sharpening slider, and I never know if I should turn it back down, or leave it...

if you crop at all, it must be turned down, masking up, radius and detail down, and usually lowering from 70 to 40 or 50.  Otherwise, I use these presets extensively.

Like you, I really like real film 4 and B&w... also real film 3 is nice, and m9 typ1 and typ5, and I have a second version I saved with the sharpening turned down.

Edited by justbananas

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@justbananas - Sorry, I missed seeing your post until now. Yes, I've also been looking at the heavy sharpening. Most of the time it's not an issue — and I haven't cropped anything — but several times I've had to pull it back. I haven't been able to determine the circumstances under which the sharpening becomes too heavy. I find that, for color, generally it's easier to get good skin tones than with other methods — looks like the M-Looks presets accomplish this all with tone curve adjustments, as the other only settings that it changes is the sharpening. 

• 1 month later...
Am 2.3.2019 um 03:22 schrieb Nowhereman:

That those presets have the white balance saved into them is more a big red flag for poor development. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...