Strange Auto-ISO quirk of using manual focus lenses with M adapter L on CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am off tomorrow to one the christening of one of my grandchildren. As I will be in a quite dimly lit church and don't want to use a flash, I thought it would be a good opportunity to use my recently bought 7Artisans 28/1.4 on the CL (the alternative would be my 0.95 Noctilux). When I mounted the 28/1.4 on my CL with the Leica active M adapter L adapter, auto-ISO did not seem to be working in aperture priority mode and even though I checked that auto-ISO was selected, the actual ISO was fixed at 100 ISO. I then tried my 80-200/f4 ROM lens with the R adapter L and auto-ISO did work. My first thought was that auto-ISO does not work unless the aperture is electronically transmitted to the camera, as it would be on a ROM R lens. I then tried my coded 28/2 ASPH Summicron on the M adapter L and to my surprise auto-ISO worked just fine. 

I have now worked out what is happening. If you put a non-6 bit coded lens on the M adapter L and do not manually select an appropriate lens from the menu list, auto-ISO does not work. If you either use a coded lens or manually declare a lens from the list offered on the LCD menu, auto-ISO works. Presumably the camera feels it does not have sufficient data, if it has an unrecognised lens mounted and is then unable to calculate the correct auto ISO figure. It then reverts to a fixed 100 ISO. If one notices that auto-ISO is not working, this is a good reminder to go back a step and declare the lens. The quickest way is to half unmount the lens and remount. This then opens the lens selection menu. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've known about this from the beginning using the CL. It's a bug: when the lens is Unknown, the ISO menu should eliminate the AutoISO setting and default to 100. It's one of the reasons I've coded or created user profiles with a lens profile chosen for all the lenses I use on the CL. 

I think I filed a bug report with Leica about it a week after I bought the CL.. :)

It's the first time I have used a non-coded or ROM lens on my CL, so the first time I have come across it. If it is a bug, it could be seen as a useful bug to remind you to select a lens profile. I will set up a camera profile for the 7Artisans 28/1.4 as I suspect I may be using this lens more on the CL than any other camera, given that the crop sensor eliminates the worst of the edge softness at f1.4. 42mm is also an EFOV I like. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

It's the first time I have used a non-coded or ROM lens on my CL, so the first time I have come across it. If it is a bug, it could be seen as a useful bug to remind you to select a lens profile. I will set up a camera profile for the 7Artisans 28/1.4 as I suspect I may be using this lens more on the CL than any other camera, given that the crop sensor eliminates the worst of the edge softness at f1.4. 42mm is also an EFOV I like. 

With you 100% on that. My camera basically goes back and forth between 28mm and 43mm lenses ... my two favorite eqFOV for APS-C. :)

I'd much rather that they reminded me I needed to set a lens code to get AutoISO by simply making the AutoISO unavailable with an "Unknown" lens rather than catching me out with unexpected behavior.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

If you put a non-6 bit coded lens on the M adapter L and do not manually select an appropriate lens from the menu list, auto-ISO does not work. [...]

I don't use my R lenses on the CL but all my uncoded M and LTM lenses remain unknown in the camera and they work perfectly in auto iso mode so far. I have no idea why but i never use L lenses either. Also i'm always in auto iso + manual mode, perhaps it comes from that i don't know.

59 minutes ago, lct said:

I don't use my R lenses on the CL but all my uncoded M and LTM lenses remain unknown in the camera and they work perfectly in auto iso mode so far. I have no idea why but i never use L lenses either. Also i'm always in auto iso + manual mode, perhaps it comes from that i don't know.

It is only in Aperture Priority that Auto-ISO does not work, as far as I have tested. It did work in Manual. The R lens I use most is the 80-200/4 and the M lens, previously my rattly 28 ASPH Summicron, where I am always scared the front is going to drop off (it will be going to Malcolm Taylor to have the chewed-up grub screws removed, re-tapped to larger and replaced, once he has finished my 250FF and IIIa, plus 2 Summars). Now I can use my non-rattly 28/1.4 ASPH 7Artisans, which is a remarkably good lens for the price. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find auto ISO works with uncoded lenses on my CL as long as I have the minimum shutter speed in the Auto ISO Settings set to a specific fraction of a second.  If it’s set to a reciprocal of the focal length, and the camera cannot know the focal length of the lens fitted because it’s not coded or because lens recognition is switched off, then Auto ISO will not work. I think.

Jim

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

That sounds rather logical; it would make it a technical limitation, not a bug.

Indeed ... Jim-St nailed it. I'd completely forgotten the AutoISO Settings ability to set a hard lower-end exposure time. 

• Like 1