Leica Q-P or 28mm Summicron for M9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there, thoroughly enjoy reading this forum, thank you...

I wonder if I could ask a small piece of advice. I'm an M9-P owner since it was launched and traveled at length with my trusty 50mm lux. Loved everything about the camera, though indeed, the low ISO limit can be a challenge indoors, and the manual focus when chasing the kids around is trying. Delightful when you nail it though!

I'm wanting to get into 28mm for landscape work essentially, and tossing up between a new 28mm Cron, or the Q-P. Both seem to be in the same ballpark price wise. Does anyone have experience with the M lens on an M9 Vs the Q? I see advantages of the Q for the kids and quick bits, but I also still love the experience you get shooting with an M, and the files certainly still delight me.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a M anymore because with eyeglasses it was pretty much impossible to see the 28mm frame lines. Shooting with 50mm was fine, 35mm would have been a bit difficult but I just cannot get my eye close enough to viewfinder to see 28mm frame... So now I use a Q.

There is one more big advantage in Q also. You can get _a lot_ closer to your subject than with rangefinders 70cm (or one meter with some lenses like my older Summilux). Most of my nicer shots are taken pretty close to subject and that was a real problem with M.

So I suggest choosing a Leica Q(-P). It does the pic quality as well as your M9 + 28mm Summicron, but also opens up new possibilities like useful high ISO and focusing very close.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DanMitchell said:

Thank you for the advice. I'll wonder down to the Leica store with a couple of SD cards for a play!

await your decision.....i am curious....

i too am juggling between decision between a Q2 or a 28mm Summilux.........

I'd add a slightly oblique view to this thread but hope it's relevant. I have a Canon 1DX Mk II with quite a large collection of Canon lenses. About a year ago I bought a Leica Q—partly for the renowned Leica quality but particularly because when hiking (whether in hills or cities) the weight of the Canon gear (even just camera and one standard zoom lens) was becoming oppressive. However (and much more relevant to this thread) one of the real joys of the Q is not changing lenses—and consequently not having to carry out the unpleasant job of trying to clean the sensor. It is a real pleasure not having to worry about getting dust on the sensor.

Of course, that would never be the main reason for buying something like the Leica Q but, for me, it's been a big bonus.

Stephen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen_C said:

I'd add a slightly oblique view to this thread but hope it's relevant. I have a Canon 1DX Mk II with quite a large collection of Canon lenses. About a year ago I bought a Leica Q—partly for the renowned Leica quality but particularly because when hiking (whether in hills or cities) the weight of the Canon gear (even just camera and one standard zoom lens) was becoming oppressive. However (and much more relevant to this thread) one of the real joys of the Q is not changing lenses—and consequently not having to carry out the unpleasant job of trying to clean the sensor. It is a real pleasure not having to worry about getting dust on the sensor.

Of course, that would never be the main reason for buying something like the Leica Q but, for me, it's been a big bonus.

Stephen

It seems quite a few of us on this forum are at the same stage of life as you. I have for two decades lugged serious Canon cameras, lenses, flashes and large tripods with big heads like the Wimberley. I bought the Q several years ago and quickly realized what a capable camera / lens combination it is and such a joy to carry. I still carry the Canon gear for specific shoots like birds, cathedrals or capitol rotundas otherwise the Q is my preferred companion after my wife of course. I can see as I add more years, the Canon gear will be used less and Leica gear more. I also confess the latest smart phone cameras are often a substitute when I’m only taking casual photos. Not as much fun, but always with me. Q ON!! 

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

It seems quite a few of us on this forum are at the same satge of life as you. I have for two decades lugged serious Canon cameras, lenses, flashes and large tripods with big heads like the Wimberley. I bought the Q several years ago and quickly realized what a capable camera / lens combination it is and such a joy to carry. I still carry the Canon gear for specific shoots like birds, cathedrals or capitol rotundas otherwise the Q is my preferred companion after my wife of course. I can see as I add more years, the Canon gear will be used less and Leica gear more. I also confess the latest smart phone cameras are often a substitute when I’m only taking casual photos. Not as much fun, but always with me. Q ON!! 

Add another at the point of life where carrying a large, fairly heavy DSLR is not a joy.  For a very long time I'd do so "to get the shot" or hope so at least.  I got a Q in the fall of 2015 and it has brought back many joys to my photography.  Being able to take it almost everywhere, no extra lenses and superb image quality rendered the DSLR to the closet for the most part.  I've avoided buying an M for similar reasons, I could see me falling into the rabbit hole of lenses.  I suspect the Q may not be everyone's perfect camera but it comes very close for me.  

• Like 2

Have used them both. The 28 cron is my least favorite of all M lenses and I would much rather use a Q than an M with a 28 cron - better in all sorts of ways, from  the ability to see the whole frame, autofocus if you want it, and better image quality to boot. Now if you were to compare with the 28 LUX on an M body, that would be a different story...

Edited by gotium

On 3/3/2019 at 3:50 AM, muah said:

await your decision.....i am curious....

i too am juggling between decision between a Q2 or a 28mm Summilux.........

I figured I'd let you know how I ended up as you were both curious. I bought the Q-P, and within a week of intense shooting, I soon relaised I much preferred the OVF to the EVF. I also preferred the weight, size and handling of the M over the Q. When the image quality was superb on the Q, of course, the M9 is pretty damn good too at low ISO, which is where I mostly work. I'm amazed how the M9 holds up after so many years. After some negotiation with the Leica Store in Sydney, they let me return the camera and put the $s towards a lens for my M. Of course I was all set to get the 28 Cron until I noticed they just had a Lux turn up. I pushed the boat out a little and decided upon the 28 Lux. My gosh, seriously that is some lens. Yes, there's some weight to it (though it compliments the M well), yes it blocks the viewfinder a touch, but all in all I'm loving the combination of the 28 lux and 50 lux with the M body. Of course, a week later the Q2 was announced, but having been through the Q test, I know the rangefinder experience is my preferred way of shooting. No doubt the M11 will be on my shopping list for the future, but for now CCD lives!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1