What about Sigma MC11 EF adapter ?

Bohns

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some words about Sigma MC11adapter for EF to L mounts in Leica Rumors.

It seems that at this time, Sigma claims only compatibility for Sigma EF lenses. But I wish Canon lenses would be compatible as well, with better AF performance than the Novoflex one, and stabilization kept, especially for the long focals (like the last 100-400, eventually with 1.4x).

any thought or comment on this perspective ?

Edited by Bohns

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Bohns:

Some words about Sigma MC11adapter for EF to L mounts in Leica Rumors.

It seems that at this time, Sigma claims only compatibility for Sigma EF lenses. But I wish Canon lenses would be compatible as well, with better AF performance than the Novoflex one, and stabilization kept, especially for the long focals (like the last 100-400, eventually with 1.4x).

any thought or comment on this perspective ?

what ever you are wishing for,  Sigma will make it!

Edited by zorky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, caissa said:

Bad news, Sigma corrected the announcement. Now the MC-21 will not be available for SL, only for S1/R.

In my eyes a terrible anti-climax.   ☠️👻

Well, considering that to use MC21 is to adapt other manufacturer glass onto the L mount, maybe adapting to an old sensor tech of the SL might not be optimal. The MC21 is design for the future. We can hope for SL2 to be able to use that MC21.

1 hour ago, xiaubauu2009 said:

Well, considering that to use MC21 is to adapt other manufacturer glass onto the L mount, maybe adapting to an old sensor tech of the SL might not be optimal. The MC21 is design for the future. We can hope for SL2 to be able to use that MC21.

+1. A possible indication of an improved/revised method for AF compared to the SL's rather mediocre focus system. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had the chance to test out the new Sigma MC-21 adapter with the Canon 400mm f4 DO II. This adapter is meant for EF lenses to be used on L mount cameras.

As far as AF is concerned, it works but without tracking. This means AF-C does not work. The lens will focus but AF will not track as you move the camera/lens. The S1/R will even prompt you to switch to AF-S. I felt the focusing is slower (when set to S mode) than the Sony A7r3 using the same lens with MC-11.

In addition, I believe the lens IS is not activated with the MC-21 adapter. This is unlike the MC-11, which works quite well with IS on the lens.

The above observation is limited to the Canon 400mm f4 DO II lens. I am not sure if AF will perform better with other EF lenses. I suspect firmware upgrades in the future will improve overall AF performance.

Edited by AlanYWM

8 hours ago, AlanYWM said:

Had the chance to test out the new Sigma MC-21 adapter with the Canon 400mm f4 DO II. This adapter is meant for EF lenses to be used on L mount cameras.

As far as AF is concerned, it works but without tracking. This means AF-C does not work. The lens will focus but AF will not track as you move the camera/lens. The S1/R will even prompt you to switch to AF-S. I felt the focusing is slower (when set to S mode) than the Sony A7r3 using the same lens with MC-11.

In addition, I believe the lens IS is not activated with the MC-21 adapter. This is unlike the MC-11, which works quite well with IS on the lens.

The above observation is limited to the Canon 400mm f4 DO II lens. I am not sure if AF will perform better with other EF lenses. I suspect firmware upgrades in the future will improve overall AF performance.

Did you check max frames per second when using MC-21? I ask since the electronic Novoflex adapter gives 3 fps on the SL (whereas any manual adapers, and native L-lenses, give 11 fps). 

Edited by helged

8 hours ago, helged said:

Did you check max frames per second when using MC-21? I ask since the electronic Novoflex adapter gives 3 fps on the SL (whereas any manual adapers, and native L-lenses, give 11 fps). 

Afraid I did not test the frame rate. I would assume it should not be affected. I was more interested in the speed of the AF since the Novoflex adapter on the S1/R could not even perform AF with EF lenses.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, helged said:

Anyone knowing why Panasonic doesn't provide an adapter for Nikkor E-lenses? (ie, the Nikon counterpart to the MC-21).

Perhaps not in a business of promoting competitor products.  I suspect EOS being older than Nikkor E (electronic aperture) is probably better understood by third parties.

• Like 1

Some bad news. I tested the MC-21 with the Canon MP-E 65mm Macro and it did not work at all. The aperture seems to be stuck at f99 😞 With the Canon 100mm Macro L IS, it seemed to work - AF and aperture control - but it underexposes by at least 1 stop when using flash in manual mode. Switching over to the Novoflex adapter, both lenses worked fine, even with flash. I think the firmware needs updating on the Sigma MC-21.

Edited by AlanYWM
  • Thanks 1