Leica Lens Prices in Thailand/Bangkok

SMAL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

so apparently I am in Thailand and the last 4 days I stayed in Bangkok. I am only traveling with my 24 Lux and the 50/0.95 Nocti.

Sometimes I was missing a compact 35mm and since I always planned to add a 35/2 Summicron V4 to my collection, I decided to try to find one here in Bangkok and I did. But then there was the shock. The prices for second hand Leica Lenses are out of this world. The Store wanted 145000 THB. Which is approximately 4100€ or $4600US. I mean you can get a decent copy of a V4 in germany for around 1600€. So if anyone thinks about how to finance the next trip to asia, just stop by in Bangkok and sell a few Leica lenses.

So I hope for more luck in two weeks when I am in Tokyo. Has anyone of you good experience with camera stores over there? Or any recommendations for used Leica lenses?

Thanks!

vor 8 Stunden schrieb ynp:

Indeed, the prices in BKK are about 30 -50 percent above the European second hand market. 

It’s absolutely ridiculous. I was willing to pay a little more, but not 130%.

Still would appreciate tips for Tokyo. :)

$4600 is ridiculous, but 😮1600 euros for a decent (clear glass) KOB is extremely cheap (Who sells it? A shop or an individual? I believe that you compare the prices of lenses that are sold in shops that have physical buildings) I don't think you can find that in the U.S. either.

IMO, in Thailand, the majority of Leica owners is collector based, so they tend to price their old lenses pretty high. I was in Fotofile (Bangkok) in 2016 and found that a used 50 noctilux F1 was way more expensive than a used 50, 0.95 at the same condition. As oudjunk hints, you could buy modern (Karbe's) lenses at the real world price.

As for Japan, I think it's also next to impossible to find a decent KOB that has its price tag in 1600 euros ballpark.

To sum up, the used market in Thailand is a collectors' market, you could find pristine 8e summicron without light haze in the glass (with box and paper) easily, but not cheap. In Japan, the price is, imo, a little high too.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb me111:

$4600 is ridiculous, but 😮1600 euros for a decent (clear glass) KOB is extremely cheap (Who sells it? A shop or an individual? I believe that you compare the prices of lenses that are sold in shops that have physical buildings) I don't think you can find that in the U.S. either.

IMO, in Thailand, the majority of Leica owners is collector based, so they tend to price their old lenses pretty high. I was in Fotofile (Bangkok) in 2016 and found that a used 50 noctilux F1 was way more expensive than a used 50, 0.95 at the same condition. As oudjunk hints, you could buy modern (Karbe's) lenses at the real world price.

As for Japan, I think it's also next to impossible to find a decent KOB that has its price tag in 1600 euros ballpark.

To sum up, the used market in Thailand is a collectors' market, you could find pristine 8e summicron without light haze in the glass (with box and paper) easily, but not cheap. In Japan, the price is, imo, a little high too.

Yes, exactly. It was FotoFile in the MBK Mall.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb sincurves:

Tokyo has several good quality 2nd hand stores, but they won't be cheaper than the US. The selection is however better than most other places, and the condition of the equipment is really good. My personal favorites are Lemon Inc (Ginza) and Map Camera (Shinjuku). 

Thanks for the great tips!

I second Map Camera in Shinjuku, excellent service and a nice selection of new and used lenses.

One of the advantages of Map Camera is that their website has an English auto-translated version, you can already see what's in stock and the price converted in Euro/Dollars:

https://www.mapcamera.com/html/worldguide/english_page.html

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Simone_DF:

I second Map Camera in Shinjuku, excellent service and a nice selection of new and used lenses.

One of the advantages of Map Camera is that their website has an English auto-translated version, you can already see what's in stock and the price converted in Euro/Dollars:

https://www.mapcamera.com/html/worldguide/english_page.html

Yes, I already checked their website and decided to visit them. The prices are ok. 

• 2 weeks later...