Leica R6.2 metering modes issue

ulluru

The difference in exposure reading depends on what you're metering with the two modes, and also depends to some degree on the lens you're using and what f/stop is being used. 

For example: I set the R6.2 with Summicron-R 90mm f/2 on a tripod and framed/focused such that an evenly lit white wall in my office filled the frame. Set to f/4, the exposure suggested by full area measurement was a little under .5 stops longer exposure time than when I metered with the selective area meter, with no other changes. Switching the lens opening to f/8, the difference dropped to virtually nil. 

If the difference is larger than that, the metering system may have a dirt in the light path or otherwise need some servicing and adjustment. I'd sent it to a repair tech to have it looked over in that case. 

I have an R6.2 too and my experience with spotmetering was thus far: often overexposures. So because you ask I did a test, but on a white wall I see hardly half a stop difference. A difference of 3-4 stops is enough to let your camera get inspected and maintained. But it remains very important to be aware of what spot you are measuring and how it relates to the greyvalue of the scene as a whole. 

Edited by otto.f

• 5 weeks later...

I just acquired a free R4 MOT, which came attached to the 500 MR-Telyt-R, which I bought, where it was implied the R4 was not working. After cleaning the battery contacts and inserting a new CR 1/3 DN battery, the metering was very erratic and generally not working at all. I took the top off and cleaned the dirty contacts on the mode, EV compensation and ISO setting switches/rheostat with Servisol switch cleaning fluid. All now works perfectly and the metering is now accurate in M, A, A(spot),  T and P modes. The only thing I have not been able to get to work is the shutter delay but I can live without that, especially as the camera was free and actually had a negative cost. I paid just €500 for the R4 MOT, a lovely black leather Leitz case fitted for an R body with the MR Telyt mounted and the MR Telyt itself, in near perfect condition. The R4 looked as if it had hardly been used and is in far better cosmetic condition than my "well loved" R9. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1