11 Sigma L Mount Art Lenses announced

mjmoore

9 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

So, it's an SA & EF-L mount converter?

I wonder if Sigma will release native L-mount versions of these lenses.

According to the article, the new lenses are native L mount - they are also releasing a converter for people who already own EF Sigma lenses.

25 minutes ago, Vieri said:

Great news about all those primes :) However, I personally was more hoping to see the Art series zooms in L mount - perhaps at a later date. Best regards,

Vieri

The Art-zooms (as well as Contemporary zooms) can be used on L-bodies by means of the MC-21 adapter: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/accessories/mount-converter/#mc-21. It is hard to say whether an adapted Art-lens differs from a L-mounted Art-lens, but I wouldn't think so (except for AFc and the use of teleconverter, neither of which are not supported by the MC-21 adapter according to the above link).

• Like 1

I have never used a Sigma lens, but am really intrigued by two listed -- the 135 f/1.8 and 14 f/1.8. For those with experience with Sigma, how good do you these lenses are? Follow up, what's a guess on how these will be priced?

30 minutes ago, johnbuckley said:

I have never used a Sigma lens, but am really intrigued by two listed -- the 135 f/1.8 and 14 f/1.8. For those with experience with Sigma, how good do you these lenses are? Follow up, what's a guess on how these will be priced?

Simply outstanding optically, but quite large/heavy. Make sure that you get a good copy of the 14mm... (https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/289836-and-sigmas-roadmap/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-3691385). Same/similar cost to the existing Sigma/Canon/Nikon counterparts? 

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guess the MC-21 adapter will not work with any Leica L-Mount cameras anymore. Just read this on Sigma's page.   https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2019/03/29/2091/

Was about to order one from B&H when I stumbled upon this.... 
Just when I thought I can use a Sigma over the exorbitantly over-priced Novoflex :( 
Sigh....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, helged said:

The Art-zooms (as well as Contemporary zooms) can be used on L-bodies by means of the MC-21 adapter: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/accessories/mount-converter/#mc-21. It is hard to say whether an adapted Art-lens differs from a L-mounted Art-lens, but I wouldn't think so (except for AFc and the use of teleconverter, neither of which are not supported by the MC-21 adapter according to the above link).

True, but going by this logic there wouldn't be need for native L-mount primes either :)

Vieri

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vieri said:

True, but going by this logic there wouldn't be need for native L-mount primes either :)

Vieri

The optics can be the same/similar between the different versions of the lenses, but the focus motors/driving mechanism(s) can differ in order to optimise af when the L-mount lenses are mounted on Panasonic's FF bodies (and not on other manufacturers bodies). Just speculation from my side, clearly, but I will definitely prefer lenses in native mounts in order to avoid adapters that can fail electronically, be left at home (obs; it has happened...), be less water proof, somewhat complicate switching of lenses, etc. etc.

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, helged said:

The optics can be the same/similar between the different versions of the lenses, but the focus motors/driving mechanism(s) can differ in order to optimise af when the L-mount lenses are mounted on Panasonic's FF bodies (and not on other manufacturers bodies). Just speculation from my side, clearly, but I will definitely prefer lenses in native mounts in order to avoid adapters that can fail electronically, be left at home (obs; it has happened...), be less water proof, somewhat complicate switching of lenses, etc. etc.

So, by this logic, It seems that now you agree with me that zooms should also be made in L mount and that the adapter doesn't really cut it :)

Best regards,

Vieri

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 11:26 AM, fotonutzz said:

Guess the MC-21 adapter will not work with any Leica L-Mount cameras anymore. Just read this on Sigma's page.   https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2019/03/29/2091/

Was about to order one from B&H when I stumbled upon this.... 
Just when I thought I can use a Sigma over the exorbitantly over-priced Novoflex :( 
Sigh....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You saved me 250$
Thank you, mate!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, phongph said:

Hi All!

Please advise and share the performance of Sigma art lens - mount L on SL 601, eps 135 f1.8.

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

Optically the lens is superb ...... exceptionally sharp. The adapted version with the nikon novoflex AF adapter works fine but is a bit erratic. The new native L mount version should be quicker and 100% reliable. I will be getting mine converted as soon as the service is available.

It's a big, heavy, limited usage lens for specific situations ..... and not one you would carry around 'just in case' ......:rolleyes:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thighslapper said:

Optically the lens is superb ...... exceptionally sharp. The adapted version with the nikon novoflex AF adapter works fine but is a bit erratic. The new native L mount version should be quicker and 100% reliable. I will be getting mine converted as soon as the service is available.

It's a big, heavy, limited usage lens for specific situations ..... and not one you would carry around 'just in case' ......:rolleyes:

Hi thinhslapper!

Thanks for your sharing!