M10 with Nikon 50mm ai 1.2

antonioxrosa

The Nikon lens can be mounted on the M10 with a lens adapter but does not connect and interact with the rangefinder so no viewfinder focusing.  You will need to focus manually.  The live view will provide a focus facility on the rear screen or on the external Visoflex 020 if you have one.

Edited by lucerne
  • Thanks 1

Note that this is not a Leica/Nikon issue – any non-M Mount lens will require live-view focusing and exposing. The dozen-odd adapter manufacturers have made garage-sale finds a functional reality, and the M10 is the perfect recipient with focus peaking, and TTL framing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

User reviews will help – some mount loosely, some dangerously tight, and hopefully some with the tensile feel of a typical M-Mount lens. Check a couple sources, Youtube has reviews galore, and Amazon buyer reviews as well. Not your typical source, but heavily trafficked and “vetted” by commenters.

Edited by CRTZMO
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2019 at 11:57 PM, antonioxrosa said:

Thanks for the prompt reply. Clear about the focus. What about the results ?...And any recommendation on the adapter to buy ? I see several brands from 30€ to 180€. It seems a very simple device but I may be wrong...

Depends of how many times you intend to mount/dismount the lenses. If occasionally, a middle price (aluminium) adapter may suit, if more often then go for Novoflex.

54 minutes ago, antonioxrosa said:

Thanks. I was in fact looking to the Novoflex adapter. I have no experience with this type of device and a got a bit confused when I reed that novoflex adapter has a aperture ring. Don't we control aperture in the lens ?

I think this is because the novoflex adapter works with almost all nikon F-mount lenses, including the aperture ring-less G lenses. For G lenses the aperture control on the adapter would be how one might control aperture, for those lenses with aperture rings you would control aperture via the lens' own aperture ring

Edited by chasdfg
  • Thanks 2

Yes.  You can control the aperture with the ring on this lens.  The novoflex aperture would be superfluous but you need to ensure that you leave it wide open while you use the control on the lens.

• Thanks 1

New member here.

I'm looking at the M10-D and was considering using some of my older Nikon lenses with it.

Based on this thread, it looks like I would really only be able to do zone focusing when out on the streets with it. Or getting it close with a DoF calculator when around family and friends. I guess if I really wanted to open the app, I could do it, but why get the D at that point, right? :)

Am I understanding this correctly?

1 hour ago, LouHamilton said:

New member here.

I'm looking at the M10-D and was considering using some of my older Nikon lenses with it.

Based on this thread, it looks like I would really only be able to do zone focusing when out on the streets with it. Or getting it close with a DoF calculator when around family and friends. I guess if I really wanted to open the app, I could do it, but why get the D at that point, right? :)

Am I understanding this correctly?

Welcome Lou,

With the M10-D, you can use Visoflex 020 attached and use your Nikon lenses with adapter Nikon to Leica M and manual focus your Nikon lenses.

Even if I would not begin that way, because in this case why buy a Leica M (good/excellent with M lenses and manual focus with rangefinder) at first.

3 minutes ago, tobey bilek said:

Buy a Nikon D750 and all the manual focus lenses you want.   Pictures will be the same. Savings will be substantial.  

I already have the D750. Just was wondering if I could use my older lenses, but with what limitations.

9 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Welcome Lou,

With the M10-D, you can use Visoflex 020 attached and use your Nikon lenses with adapter Nikon to Leica M and manual focus your Nikon lenses.

Even if I would not begin that way, because in this case why buy a Leica M (good/excellent with M lenses and manual focus with rangefinder) at first.

I would most likely be getting the 35mm 1.4 with the body. I was just seeing if I could possibly use my older 24mm and 50mm Nikkor lenses with an adapter.

I would eventually get a 50mm lens to compliment the 35mm. I just love the 35mm focal length so it would be the first one I get.

26 minutes ago, Photon42 said:

Sorry - but the M10D screams for rangefinder lenses. If you use anything else, you are left with the EVF and zone focussing.

I agree. I was just curious, though.

If you buy Leica M 35mm with your M10-D, that's fine.

I bet that you would use your Nikon lenses with adapter Nikon-M for a while, and after that you will buy the M equivalent lens (es) - not necessary Leica lenses.

I use on my Ms, Nikon lenses and other SLR lenses (own Leica R) funny but really only with lenses not available in M mount.