The Best Shot You 'Nearly' Got

Marac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well this could of been a lot better, sadly wrong lens (Pentax 300mm f4 Takumar) on the CL and I had about 0.5 seconds to put the camera to my eye, manual focus and hope the settings were close enough.. None of the above happened and I 'nearly' got a great shot. 1/125th way too slow and simply missed focus too hahahaha, oh well.

Please post your 'Almost' 'nearly' great shots if you have them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Close enough.
M9, 35mm Summilux V2, 1/4000th second.
Mother's Great Granddaughter spreading her ashes.

• Like 3

I love night shooting but there are so many challenges! I have 3 CV lenses specifically for night shooting.

Picture the scene....it's cold, it's dark and I have to use the torch on my iPhone to see the settings on the barrel. I'm short and by the time I mount the camera on the tripod and frame the composition I can no longer see the barrel of the lens to set the aperture and have to guess based on counting the clicks from wide open.Focussing a manual lens is a challenge in the near dark when I can't reach the viewfinder and have to rely on the back screen which is somewhere above my head. And then there is no way to attach a cable release so I have to remember to use the self-timer. And on it goes....I either need to carry a step ladder or get more comfortable with the app on the iPhone. or both <sigh>. When it all comes together it's magic but when it doesn't, well, you can see the result below. 

Voigtlander 50 f1.2 - 30 second exposure at f11 (I think)

Edited by Dippy
  • Haha 1

Theres an interesting book  called "Photographs Not Taken." 

Photographers detail instances when they regret not taking a picture. 

https://www.amazon.com/Photographs-Not-Taken-Will-Steacy/dp/0983231613/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2MT1I0R0I12U4&amp;keywords=photographs+not+taken&amp;qid=1551299782&amp;s=gateway&amp;sprefix=Photographs+Not+Taken."%2Caps%2C149&amp;sr=8-1

Similar, but different than your thread. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, pico said:

Dippy, would a lower tripod help?

Well yes - but ultimately the comp dictates the height of the tripod. I manage fine until I have to raise the central column and then it begins 😃 I'm not that short - about 165cm - but short enough that it quickly becomes an issue. But if it were easy then where is the fun? It's a good thought though Pico, thank you. 

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Theres an interesting book  called "Photographs Not Taken." 

Photographers detail instances when they regret not taking a picture. 

https://www.amazon.com/Photographs-Not-Taken-Will-Steacy/dp/0983231613/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2MT1I0R0I12U4&amp;keywords=photographs+not+taken&amp;qid=1551299782&amp;s=gateway&amp;sprefix=Photographs+Not+Taken."%2Caps%2C149&amp;sr=8-1

Similar, but different than your thread. 

That looks interesting - have you read it?

That 300mm Pentax Tak is going on eBay, way beyond my ability to get that steady.. I think I require a bit of stabilisation. I even struggle with the 55-135 at times.. might even be time to hang up my boots and face the facts. 

21 hours ago, Dippy said:

That looks interesting - have you read it?

I haven't read it all the way through. It's the kind of read where each chapter is unrelated to the next. I've read a few, and everybody has stories like the ones found in the book.  

• Thanks 1