New Sigma Art Lenses for L Mount

wsself

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sigma just announced that is bringing many of it's Art lenses to L Mount (Full Frame).

I'm assuming that these will work on Leica APS-C bodies with the 1.5x conversion - correct me on that though if I'm wrong.

https://www.photographyblog.com/news/sigma_announce_11_l_mount_lenses_and_mc_21_sa_ef_mount_converter

The Art Lenses are superb. I have an 1.4/85 which is a jewel optically, but it does not work well with the Novoflex SL/EOS adapter. I plan to have the mount converted to L, but Sigma claims the new adapter they offer gives fast and precise autofocus, so perhaps this is an option as well. 

1 hour ago, wsself said:

Sigma just announced that is bringing many of it's Art lenses to L Mount (Full Frame).

I'm assuming that these will work on Leica APS-C bodies with the 1.5x conversion - correct me on that though if I'm wrong.

https://www.photographyblog.com/news/sigma_announce_11_l_mount_lenses_and_mc_21_sa_ef_mount_converter

It is entirely possible but by no means certain that they will work on APS-C bodies, as the SL and CL(TL)  use slightly different lens software. Better wait for user reports before ordering.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm just waiting the new Q reveal but will most likely get the CL.   On that end, I think the full frame Sigma  lenses will be pretty big on the CL body and it kind of worries me that in the "L" mount system, as far as I can tell only some Leica bodies are APS-C.  I'm not sure what would motivate a 3rd party to make lenses just for those few bodies. 

Edited by Jaclo

There is no way that I am going to screw these behemoths onto my CL, a camera that I bought for its unsurpassed size/weight/quality ratio. I don't doubt the optical quality for one second, but the TL lenses are in a class of their own, and their are plenty of M mount compact lenses out there, with Voigtländer dominating the superwides. And there is always my trusty M9 with Super-Elmar 18...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

There is no way that I am going to screw these behemoths onto my CL, a camera that I bought for its unsurpassed size/weight/quality ratio. I don't doubt the optical quality for one second, but the TL lenses are in a class of their own, and their are plenty of M mount compact lenses out there, with Voigtländer dominating the superwides. And there is always my trusty M9 with Super-Elmar 18...

See it the same way: Sigma lenses with minor built and optical quality on CL ? Never!

I hope Leica will have a fine Ultra wide aps-c lens in the near future😊.

There are some aps-c lenses in the „Pipeline“ , I heard in Wetzlar some days ago...

The prospect of only manual superwides for the CL/TL2 doesn't worry me. When shooting wide open, AF on a superwide is almost certainly going to pick the wrong subject, left to itself. So it is just as quick to manually focus as it is to manipulate the AF focus point into the bottom left hand corner or wherever I want it. Shooting stopped down, the depth of focus is so large it rarely matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cirke said:

I'd like an APS-C  Leica  Noctilux 35 or 50

The current Summicron-TL 23 f2.0 is the same field of view as a full frame 35mm on a full frame camera. The Summilux 35 f1.4 is the same field of view as a 50mm on a full frame camera. What do you see the benefits being if the lenses were fast enough to rate the Noctilux badging? Would it strictly be better low light performance or are there other benefits? I am not trying to be mean about this. I really am curious as I have never used a Noctilux lens.

10 hours ago, JayBird said:

The current Summicron-TL 23 f2.0 is the same field of view as a full frame 35mm on a full frame camera. The Summilux 35 f1.4 is the same field of view as a 50mm on a full frame camera. What do you see the benefits being if the lenses were fast enough to rate the Noctilux badging? Would it strictly be better low light performance or are there other benefits? I am not trying to be mean about this. I really am curious as I have never used a Noctilux lens.

I had a Noctilux 0.95  (+ 50 apo and 50 summilux) on M240  the render is unique , you dont get it with the 23 Summicron

Edited by cirke
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

It might well be nice, but DOF wouldn't be as shallow wide open as a " real" Noctilux.

it's not only the DOF, even if you shut the Noctilux 0.95 at f/2.8 you dont get the same photo with the 50  apo or summilux

• Thanks 1

Fuji 33/1 over here https://photorumors.com/2019/03/01/2019-cp-show-report-the-fuji-fujinon-xf-33mm-f-1-r-wr-lens-is-huge/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PhotoRumors+(PhotoRumors.com)

Size says it all.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!