Tobers

Leica T - crazy cheap - any good?

I would think that you should not state a price without VAT if one could not refund it? UK have always been a strange case of not EU and inside EU.I will get a price including shipping on monday I guess.

You can get it from Leica SF for ~$500, boxed. B&H also has it in various conditions, $600. usually free shipping. Definitely no tax.

I had a look as i was in Lahndn at the weekend and would have picked up a black version but there were none left,

My new plan is to wait for a black TL2 to partner my CL

They would sell the T without VAT to Norway, but shipping was 65,- Pounds. Shipping to Norway is always very expensive, but this was a new record. With 25% norwegian VAT on top of all this it is not such a good deal for me anymore. So i passed on it.

I bought the TL Titan form the norwegian importer. This one too had a new charger, but an original one. They all seem to be demo cameras, but why do they need to supply a new charger?

The titan colour do not look good in pictures, and that is why I kept looking for a good deal for a silver (or black) one. Now that I have it here in my hands I will say it do not look that bad. 

(I do not have an adapter yet)

The titan colour is nicer than I thought, but I do not like the "panda-effect" of having black buttons and dials against titan.

I still have my first Leica catalog. It is for M6 and it is from VI/92. This must be shortly before I bought my first Leica, a M3. Even at that time I thought there was something very wrong with this picture (I have one from IX/94 and they also use this picture, but smaller).

I could not tolerate the white lettering and numerals on my M6 Titanium … so filled them in with permanent black STAEDTLER Lumocolor … When I sold the camera over 20 years later the buyer thought it looked better than an original white filled model. It's fairly easy to fill in the engravings with any preferred colour … and there is a proprietary white filler sold especially for restoring camera lenses' engravings which would likely also be suitable for camera bodies.

dunk  

About that charger. Mine came in a bag that seems to indicate that it was not the original one in the box from the factory. The interesting thing is that the bag says Ursprungsland = Japan.

Of course they have. But the label on my bag says "Ursprungsland Japan". Ursprungsland means land of origin. There must be some legal reason for them to say it is from Japan, like lower import tariff.

The whole "Made in..." is of course a joke. Leica camera and lenses are assembled in Portugal, not in Germany. Still it says "Made in Germany".

3 minutes ago, Nordvik said:

The whole "Made in..." is of course a joke. Leica camera and lenses are assembled in Portugal, not in Germany. Still it says "Made in Germany".

Not a joke. There are legal definitions as to what constitutes a product being 'made in....' so to say Made in Germany the Leica would need to meet those sets of criteria.

If you think that it should only apply if it's 100% made in Germay then you'd need to find German sensor manufacturers, electronic components, etc. etc. as well.

Some cheap bottles of wine will say 'made from grapes from various sources', perhaps they should do something similar?

Is there really an international agreement on that? I am not so sure. Every country can make their own standards of course. Like the USA. I found this amusing at the time when I bought it (support USA and all that). It says "Made in Mexico (with mexican and U.S.A.components).

On 3/14/2019 at 1:00 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

I could not tolerate the white lettering and numerals on my M6 Titanium … so filled them in with permanent black STAEDTLER Lumocolor … When I sold the camera over 20 years later the buyer thought it looked better than an original white filled model. It's fairly easy to fill in the engravings with any preferred colour … and there is a proprietary white filler sold especially for restoring camera lenses' engravings which would likely also be suitable for camera bodies.

dunk  

Curious to learn more about the 'proprietary white filler' you allude to in your post. I have an black M6 and the color has faded on several letters and so am trying to figure out what I can use to restore. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 

-Fred

^^^ I've read an article which suggested using  a proprietary white wax filler but haven't used it myself and cannot trace same online. RAL9010 white pure soft wax might do the job but have not tried it myself. 

I have used 'ARTISTE All Purpose BLANC Acrylic Paint' which is water soluble, applied with a fine brush … bought mine from an artists' supply store.  But use it at your own risk … it's a fiddly job and any residue needs careful removal with a damp cloth / paper towel. 

dunk