pebbles

Who uses the default settings

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I keep playing around with settings to try and get a different result or picture taking procedure. How many of us do this, or indeed how many just use the default settings ?

I can't say my settings produce much difference.

OK. Some of these apply only to jpgs, which I don't use: file type, Vivid/Standard etc.

I set max AutoISO to 12500: at that level I'm seeing significant noise, but can live with it. Above 12500 it's too noisy for me.

Min shutter speed is only for the automatic modes - I have it set to 1/f. Slower than that and I'll get camera shake. I'll get camera shake at 1/f as well but not if I take care.

I use either A mode with AutoISO and a shutter speed limit, controlling exposure with Exposure Compensation, or in M mode with manually set ISO. In both cases I'll judge exposure from the histogram and the overexposure blinkies. I always use Auto WB, though adjust it in Lightroom.

What parameter do you change that doesn't show you any difference in your images?

Edited by LocalHero1953

Thanks for that. I have to use JPEGs as Photoshop 7 doesn't handle DNG files - although some say it it does, and others say it doesn't.  (I use Topaz effects for B&W). I will fiddle around a bit more but like all occasions when you alter too many things you never know which change is the culprit. My images don't have 'bite'. I'm using a 40mm Summicron on the M adapter.

I suspect you don't have a Mac. Otherwise just open your DNG file in Apple Preview and use the simple color, contrast and sharpness settings therein. Your results will be much better than any jpeg file out of any camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There seem to be a fair number of photo editors out there at lower cost than Adobe products (Luminar, Affinity), though I'm not familiar with them. In your shoes I would be tempted to get one of those and put up with the hassle of learning a new interface for the sake of being able to edit raw files.

iSO auto

max ISO 800

max speed :1/ (2f)

dng + large jpg

jpg B&W (hc)

I only use A and M ->
Left wheel  aperture

Right wheel : speed in M mode , exposure correction in A Mode

Edited by cirke

Pebbles, just start using ON1. It is a user-friendly modern photo-editor and raw converter. Quite affordable too (80$ on sale at the moment).

You can start by using the many presets, and gradually move on to editing your photographs individually. The ON1 website offers dozens of tutorials of all levels.

on mac you can open any dng with Lightroom or photoshop (I have CS6)
on iPad Pro I use Lightroom free version 

Yes I know things are simpler with a MAC but I have a PC. I also have Lightroom 5 but the faint text on an almost black screen is so difficult to read. Black on white in Photoshop 7 is much clearer. Lightroom is a very good handling system but I prefer Photoshop 7 and Topaz elements for image correction. Thanks Cirke for the settings you have given me . I think I have found the problem, the EV setting was far too high. I wish i could get a definitive answer to Photoshop 7 and DNG files. Some say it will handle them and some say it will not. If I try to open a DNG file it refuses but is quite happy in Picassa. If only the text in Lightroom was more comtrasty and larger. Frustrating.

You need to update your ACR  in Photoshop to get the latest supported cameras.

You can change the background colour in Lightroom to a number of shades of gray and white.

I don't know on PC. I'm sure it is in some kind of "interface settings" menu. On MAC it is in the preferences menu.

Google is your friend: In Windows, choose "edit" -->  "preferences" 

Thanks to everyone for their kind help. What a great site this is for Leica owners