Sign in to follow this  
Leicalifer

Leica s typ 007 vs Nikon D85000

1 minute ago, Leicalifer said:

Anyone compare the two with the same subject?

Ok, got carried away with title. Sorry. Sb d850

Larger sensor, 16bit rather than 14bit colour, probably better lenses but a more limited choice and far more expensive.  I had an 800E for a month, never liked it or its output but I think the 850 is better

john

Assuming the lens you are using is excellent, the resolution will be quite similar. The few extra megapixels one way or another do not usually make a huge difference (the S compares well to the Fuji at 50mp, for example). Tonality and color are another matter, and one that is more dependent on the company. Leica seems to do this better than anyone else, with the exception of Hasselblad and Phase One. As John says, the biggest difference will likely be in the lenses and the handling. The Leica will have better lenses as a whole, though there are certainly superb lenses for the Nikon. You will not have the consistency in character throughout the line though...Leica does a very good job at making everything mesh well in lens "character". The Nikon is clearly superior to the Leica for things like AF, lens choice, price, modern features and so on. Leica wins on handling, lens character and quality and depending on taste, color. You are also comparing an end of life camera to a fairly new one though, so that does swing things a bit more towards Nikon than it would if you were able to compare to the S3. 

Edited by Stuart Richardson

Assuming equivalent lens quality, the S picture will have higher micro-contrast, because the enlargement ratio will be lower. That will give the S photos more "presence" or "plasticity" or "3-D feel", depending on your favourite metaphor for micro-contrast.

I terms of resolution, you won't find much difference. High-quality lenses can out-resolve either sensor. The difference is that the S lenses will do this at a higher contrast level. This is easy to miss when pixel-peeping, but more obvious when you step back and look at a large print.

I shoot both extensively. For pixel level acuity, I don’t see much difference between them. D850 has much less false color in foliage or hair, not a total surprise given smaller sensor with higher sampling frequency. 

And also I feel D850 has slightly better dynamic range even on paper they might have about the same DR from 3rd party site. The reason I said that is I need more careful with S007 exposure to avoid highlight blew up. 

For color and shooting experience, S win hands down, at least S006. I also feel S give me better images in each trip I brought them together. I just enjoy to view and process S images more. Make the image happen in field is big part of the process, Nikon make it way more easier but S is more rewarding for me. But most of above of experience is from S006. I haven’t take S007 with me for any major trip yet.

like Stuart said, found a set of lenses that are consistent and pleasing will be impossible with Nikon. As good as their latest lenses are, I don’t think they approaching S quality and feel.  Sharpness wise, might be, but not the whole package. Zeiss Otus are good but they are all manual and even more heavier than S. 

I have made a few twin-type of test shots between the S006+S35mm and D850+28mm Otus in good light. In every case I have ended up using/printing the S-image(s). For wildlife, I use D850/D5 and long lenses (but I plan to switch over to L-mount once long lenses are available by Sigma, despite the af performance will likely lag that of the D850/D5).

One quick note too. With 35mm cameras it is very tempting to use zoom lenses because there seem to be so many, and they seem to do such great things. I fell into this trap with the 24-70mm lens which I had back around 2007 and 2008 when I was shooting with the Nikon D3. I thought that lens was pretty good. Not perfect, but very impressive. I also had the old 50mm 1.4 AFD lens. I was shocked when I compared the two to see how the old 50mm f1.4 prime was clearly better, even on 12mp. When you increase it to 45 or whatever it is now, these kinds of differences are even more overwhelming...to really make use of the gain in resolution, you need the lenses to match. You will still gain from the tonality of the higher resolution sensor, but if you are using zooms you are probably not going to be making use of all the resolution, even with the latest and greatest model. Generally the best lenses are the most utilitarian...28mm to 135mm medium speed primes, especially macro lenses. You probably know all this, but it is always good to remind ourselves, because it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that paying more means it will be better. Often, but not always.

Posted (edited)

I too have tried comparisons to come back to the Leica for static subjects. What's perplexing is I can achieve higher micro contrast with a lower focal length for the same subject with the Leica. 

Edited by Leicalifer