CL Viewfinder and Sunglasses

Almost all EVF are not compatible with polarised sunglasses. Just ditch your sunglasses for normal shades or go back to DSLR or M camera 

By the way CL EVF is OLED, the brightest EVF tech. 

EVF will never be able to beat the sun and your sunglasses altogether 

Edited by nicci78

2 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Got it, what I was afraid of, very nearsighted, so always have glasses. Really dislike flip downs etc. Maybe go for a nonpolarized pair of sunglasses. Got the CL cause I didn't want to pay $4K for a used M Digital.

yes , the polarized prescription sunglasses were dumped for nonpolarized a few years ago when I started using cameras with EVF’s..At first I would just wear my normal glasses but it was a real pain in bright sunshine...I now have nonpolarized prescription...A bit of getting used to but no problem with the CL...

I use transitions and wear a wide brimmed hat on sunny days when I'm using the CL (or any camera, really). EVFs don't compete with bright sunlight well, shading your eyes and the camera is most effective. Also, peaking helps a lot to nail focus when it's very sunny out (I only use M and R lenses, no AF). 

My polarized sunglasses are exclusively for use when driving my car or riding my motorcycle. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, al_exus said:

If without glasses?
Adjusting the diopter EVF does not help?

There's enough range on the diopter adjustment to accommodate my right eye. But then I have to take my glasses on and off constantly, because I need them to see all the time. That's more pain than the ability to use the viewfinder without them is worth. :D

On 2/26/2019 at 2:30 AM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Just tried no where near compensating for my right eye. As I said I am really nearsighted in that eye, and a CL just isn't a left eye camera. Anyway my right eye is my dominate eye. 

Have you thought about getting contact lenses? I need glasses and wear lenses whenever I can and especially when I'm shooting. Small effort to get used to them but a big reward. 

12 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Oh, I love you, Jaap. There might be hope! The last time I asked an optometrist if I could use contacts he said, "No you cannot and you know that." What an ass he was. That put me off for a long time. Next month I'm due for another exam (new prescription every year) and I will ask my new optometrist (a highly respected lady).

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Just to say that this thread was a huge help to me. I've been learning how to use the CL with the 80-200 R mount plus 2x extender, meaning f/8, and struggling with mild prescription glasses that does quite dramatically darken in the sun. I missed so many shots that, after reading this, decided to take off the glasses and did much better. Not polarizers, but still.... so, thanks.