CL vs Fuji X-T20/X-T30

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Has anybody compared these? They seem to compete in the similar arena. I like the CL's design (especially the minimal buttons, clean aesthetic and that top LCD screen for quick reference of settings) but the X-T20 does have that old-school shutter dial. Both are about the same weight (the CL a bit heavier) and of course, the Fuji is much cheaper. The Fuji 23 f/2 is larger than the Leica TL one but Fuji also has a much more mature lens lineup (though the CL can adapt the M lenses better than other cameras). The Fuji has OIS lenses, a tilting LCD screen, and perhaps better auto-focus (?).

One big question though is how is the output compared to the CL? My Q definitely had a "look" - only camera that I felt the RAWs needed no processing. Was perfect OOC many times. I know people have raved about Fuji's colors though (especially compared to Sony).

Cheers!

I think the most of the choice depend by 2 main factors :

1) DO you already have some Leica lenses?(M or L series)

2) do you really need a screen? (tilting)

then every camera do what you do with it. My way to shoot pics is too near to analogue shooting so I preferred tp flow the most of the investment on sensor and lenses, for this my choice was CL but this doesn't mean X-t20 is not a good camera. I like it's sensor a little less it's lenses, but a very good choice if you don't have already leica lenses and you use often the tilting screen. this in my opinion

M.

Thanks! I don't have any Leica lenses at the moment. But I do have a Sony A7RII and the thought of sharing M lenses across that and a CL is a nice bonus.

This video really highlighted the difference in output / colors to me (you have to read his description on the RAW pressing as well) - nothing quite like that Leica look:

I've got a Fuji X-T30 pre-ordered, I'm downsizing from an SL. I considered the CL, and really liked its simplicity and minimalist controls. The X-T30 also feels great in the hand, but in a different way to the CL. The things that pushed me towards the Fuji were:

• The selection of lenses: wide selection, generally a bit faster than the CL equivalents, still very well respected for quality.
  • The price: I'm getting the X-T30 along with three great lenses for only slightly more than the CL body.
  • Better eye AF.

One thing I don't like about the Fuji is Lightroom's poor handling of X-Trans RAW files. However the workarounds don't seem too onerous.

I'll probably take me a while to get a feel of how the colours compare with my SL and past Ms, so can't advise you there (yet!).

Thanks! I had a similar thought to that guy in the video about the Lightroom issue now being a myth, as surely it would be fixed by now. So a couple of weeks ago I did my own tests on publicly available X-T3 files, and sadly it still does exist.

However, I don't think it would change his results because the Lightroom issue is subtle, and the differences between the M and Fuji files in his video were not particularly subtle.

• Like 2